Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going to the job interview?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaneInSpace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Going to the job interview? Reply with quote

I hope this is the right place to ask this. Maybe some of you will understand what I'm trying to say. Ok, so I am very new to this, and I was checking the job board and the companys were saying that job interviews were being held in the major cities like L.A. or N.Y. So, after I send in my resume, ect., and they are interested in interviewing me, do I have to pay for the flight to fly out there and possibly not get accepted, or do they arrange all that and pay for me to fly out there. I can already see the experience ESL teachers shaking their head because I'm probably asking a stupid question. I just don't understand. Simply put, if the company only interviews in a city which is far away, has does that work?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you send in a resume, if they're interested in you, they'll let you know what they will offer in terms of paying to fly you somewhere for an interview.

Such service is usually only provided for teachers with desirable qualifications; whether your quals are desirable largely depends on what regions you were targeting when you sent resumes. And obviously on what your qualifications actually are.

If you want to enlighten us as to what types of jobs you are applying for, and what quals you have, we might be able to say more about how likely it is that some employer will pay for your travel and hotel for an interview.

Very generally, this is offered to people with higher-level related quals.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto Spiral's comments. It really depends on the employer. Generally, employers looking to fill top-paying and/or hard-to-fill jobs pay for the interviewee's flight, hotel and/or ground transportation costs. But for entry positions, applicants are usually expected to foot the entire bill.

Are you new to TEFL? If so, be careful of scams
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
If you want to enlighten us as to what types of jobs you are applying for, and what quals you have, we might be able to say more about how likely it is that some employer will pay for your travel and hotel for an interview.

Very generally, this is offered to people with higher-level related quals.
Too hard to say without knowing which country(ies) you are thinking of. Just the U.S.?

"companys"??
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I love are the mid-level positions (not quite entry-level, since they usually require several years' experience and/or an MA) I occasionally see for schools in places like Kazakhstan, Libya, and even Turkey and a couple Eastern European countries, that require you to make your way to London for an in-person interview (footing the view yourself obviously). I sort of understand it for high-paying jobs in countries with strict visa regulations (though still don't understand why they so sorely object to Skype), but in Turkey or Romania, you'd think they'd consider interviewing candidates already in the country, y'know... in the country.

~Q
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: