Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chinese students shun Taiwan universities.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
romanworld

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Chinese students shun Taiwan universities. Reply with quote

According to a recent report in the Wall Street journal, the campaign by the MOE to attract mainland Chinese students has been a dismal failure:

. . . after opening the doors of its universities to mainland students for the first time last year, Taiwan is still struggling to spur interest.

For the second year in a row, the island has filled less than half of the 2,000 university spots reserved for degree-seeking mainland students, according to numbers provided to The Wall Street Journal by Taiwan�s Ministry of Education. The ministry says 987 mainland students enrolled this fall, a slight bump up from 928 last year.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2012/09/12/taiwan-struggling-to-entice-students-from-mainland-china/

With the number of local students declining because of a falling birth rate and the inability to redress this balance with Chinese students means that Taiwan's tertiary sector faces a worrying and uncertain future.
Sadebugo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese students shun Taiwan universities. Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
According to a recent report in the Wall Street journal, the campaign by the MOE to attract mainland Chinese students has been a dismal failure:

. . . after opening the doors of its universities to mainland students for the first time last year, Taiwan is still struggling to spur interest.

For the second year in a row, the island has filled less than half of the 2,000 university spots reserved for degree-seeking mainland students, according to numbers provided to The Wall Street Journal by Taiwan�s Ministry of Education. The ministry says 987 mainland students enrolled this fall, a slight bump up from 928 last year.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2012/09/12/taiwan-struggling-to-entice-students-from-mainland-china/

With the number of local students declining because of a falling birth rate and the inability to redress this balance with Chinese students means that Taiwan's tertiary sector faces a worrying and uncertain future.

I can see why Chinese students wouldn't necessarily be attracted to universities in Taiwan. If they go abroad, they most likely want to go to an English speaking country as having a degree from one would better enhance their job prospects.
romanworld

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese students shun Taiwan universities. Reply with quote

Sadebugo wrote:
I can see why Chinese students wouldn't necessarily be attracted to universities in Taiwan. If they go abroad, they most likely want to go to an English speaking country as having a degree from one would better enhance their job prospects.

Yes, you're right, but the problem in Taiwan is an over-supply of degree holders. The market is simply saturated and there are no job vacancies. Many Ph'd holders are having to take work in high schools because there are no jobs in the universities . . . and these are the lucky ones. Many graduates remain jobless.

The truth is a degree from a Taiwanese university is worthless. "A recent survey by Taiwan�s Directorate General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics (DGBAS) shows that the number of PhD and masters degree holders is expected to top one million this summer. However, the demand for employees with PhDs and masters degrees has not kept pace with supply . . .

http://www.taiwaninsights.com/2012/08/10/graduate-degree-holders-face-increased-unemployment/

Having a degree from a western university will give graduates an edge in the market place, but with diploma mills churning out degrees like cans of Coca Cola one wonders if a university education is worth the considerable investment?
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of Chinese students are going to Japan. I don't have the numbers handy here, but if I remember correctly, there are approx. 1 million Chinese students studying in Japan.

They learn Japanese, receive scholarships from MEXT and then head back to China and work for Japanese companies. Many also stay, though.

Why on earth would they ever come to Taiwan?
BruceLeeWannaBe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
A lot of Chinese students are going to Japan. I don't have the numbers handy here, but if I remember correctly, there are approx. 1 million Chinese students studying in Japan.

They learn Japanese, receive scholarships from MEXT and then head back to China and work for Japanese companies. Many also stay, though.

Why on earth would they ever come to Taiwan?

When it comes to students studying in Japan, I'm surprised that people from China go to Japan at all. Most Chinese people are so bitter towards Japan. When there's an island dispute between China and the Philippines, the Chinese people don't care that much. They may talk about it to a certain point, but they won't get angry.

When there's an island dispute between China and Japan, or anything at all between China and Japan. Most Chinese people get so angry. And they get out on the streets to launch strong anti Japan protests. Japan is the only country that cannot get away with anything. So the fact that any Chinese person would go to Japan really surprises me.
romanworld wrote:
According to a recent report in the Wall Street journal, the campaign by the MOE to attract mainland Chinese students has been a dismal failure
Possibly cause the Chinese students know that they will be in an atmosphere where people resent China and they are afraid of harassment?
romanworld

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BruceLeeWannaBe wrote:
romanworld wrote:
According to a recent report in the Wall Street journal, the campaign by the MOE to attract mainland Chinese students has been a dismal failure
Possibly cause the Chinese students know that they will be in an atmosphere where people resent China and they are afraid of harassment?

No, the simple reason is that most Chinese students know that a degree from a Taiwanese university is worthless. Chinese students want a degree from a good university in Europe or North America so that when they return home they can compete in a very competitive jobs market.
BruceLeeWannaBe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
BruceLeeWannaBe wrote:
romanworld wrote:

No, the simple reason is that most Chinese students know that a degree from a Taiwanese university is worthless. Chinese students want a degree from a good university in Europe or North America so that when they return home they can compete in a very competitive jobs market.
I guess degrees from Taiwan would be worthless if Beijing put pressure on different countries around the world not to recognize them. Aristotle mentioned something about that I think in 2007. That Beijing may pressure countries around the world not to recognize Taiwanese degrees. This way if China becomes the only country to do so, then that brings Taiwan closer to being incorporated into China.

I wonder how long it will be until Taiwan finally surrenders? Anyway to get back on topic, I don't think the education system in Taiwan is really that bad. If anything the Chinese universities are way more low quality. And the education system as a whole incredibly biased. Taiwan's education system must be better than China's by far. Taiwan has been more developed for a longer time. If I had a choice to go to college only in Taiwan or China, I'd choose Taiwan.

Oh. Another question. Did some Taiwan universities remove the ROC flag for Chinese students that go to that specific university?
romanworld

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BruceLeeWannaBe wrote:
I wonder how long it will be until Taiwan finally surrenders? Anyway to get back on topic, I don't think the education system in Taiwan is really that bad. If anything the Chinese universities are way more low quality. And the education system as a whole incredibly biased. Taiwan's education system must be better than China's by far. Taiwan has been more developed for a longer time. If I had a choice to go to college only in Taiwan or China, I'd choose Taiwan.

To be honest, most Chinese students now want to attend the best universities in their own country. Many however do not make the grade and end up enrolling onto a course in countries like the UK where these fee-paying students are welcomed. It's all about PERCEPTIONS and Chinese parents, who end up paying, believe that the best education for their kids can be found in the west. Taiwan would be the last place most Chinese parents would think about sending their kids. Remember: It's not simply a choice between Taiwan and China, but Taiwan and the whole world. We live in a global village now.
BruceLeeWannaBe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:

To be honest, most Chinese students now want to attend the best universities in their own country.
Don't Chinese consider Taiwanese Universities to be within their own country? I even heard that National Taiwan University is now changing their name to just "Taiwan University" to avoid upsetting those in China. At least they advertise themselves in China as just "Taiwan University". They drop the word National.
romanworld

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the incompetent President Ma really think that recognizing more diplomas from crappy Chinese universities will cure the current crisis in Taiwanese higher education? According to a recent report in the Taipei Times:

Taiwan is mulling recognizing diplomas from more Chinese universities, President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) said, as some Taiwanese schools expect that doing so could result in more Chinese students studying in this country.

Speaking at the opening of the 2013 National Conference of University and College Presidents at Fo Guang University on Monday, Ma said his administration is planning to expand the number of Chinese universities accredited in Taiwan from 41 to 112.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2013/01/16/2003552650

Chinese students are already shunning Taiwan, so why should accreditation change all this? The fact of the matter is that Chinese students, and the parents who pay for their education, want their kids to graduate from universities in the west with good solid reputations. The policies of the education minister, Chiang Wei-ling, are grossly misinformed. Isn't it time this man, along with the Ma government, stepped down before they take the country into the vortex?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: