Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching WITHOUT a degree.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evanc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Glenski find the country(ies) that will take you as is. Then, go back to your regularly scheduled channel of life.

That's what I'm planning on doing.

Quote:
Spiral78 Czech Republic does not legally require a degree.

Thanks, this is the kind of information that I'm looking for. Can you provide more details as to other European countries that I've mentioned?

What do you have to say about this?
http://www.internationalteflacademy.com/country-chart-world-index-english-teaching-jobs/[/quote]
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poland is similar to the Czech Rep. The other European countries you've mentioned I can't speak to. There are country-specific forums below where you may find or be given specific info.

The link you posted above doesn't work.
Evanc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
scot47 You expect the rules to be bent just for you ?

Hmm, I'm not sure what rules you're referring to? Maybe you have misunderstood me - I'm not trying to bend any rules. I want to work legally.

Here is the link again.

http://www.internationalteflacademy.com/country-chart-world-index-english-teaching-jobs/
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evanc wrote:
I would like to see if I have what it takes to be a teacher, furthermore, to see if I enjoy it.

Some young British people go abroad to do TEFL as part of a gap year before they start their degree. However, most of these short-term opportunities are for volunteers. If you're willing to volunteer for a week or longer just to get some experience and to test the waters you'll find there are TEFL opportunities around the world. Some placements are quite expensive, but not all of them.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evanc wrote:
What do you have to say about this?
http://www.internationalteflacademy.com/country-chart-world-index-english-teaching-jobs/

Their disclaimer clearly states: "International TEFL Academy assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of this document as information changes daily around the world." Plus, as I mentioned in my initial comments, the visa regs may not require a degree, but the employer might---as is their right to do so. Therefore, you may see "BA/BS preferred, not required" next to your target countries, but in reality, you may not find job ads for (legit) teaching opportunities stating as such. And again, you'd be competing against degree holders. Not what you want to hear, but...

You're a young guy and it's obvious you're not exactly sure what you want to do in life. Why not stay put for the time being? You can finish out your education while pursuing volunteer ESL teaching jobs in your area. It's not a costly investment, and you'd get a taste of what teaching entails and if it's something you'd want to do as a short or long-term career. If you find TESOL suits you, then get that CELTA or equivalent TEFL cert after you graduate and you'll have more teaching opportunities open to you in those countries that interest you the most.

Last edited by nomad soul on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important to also consider whether you actually want to work for an employer who will hire you without any qualifications.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules say that

99.9% of employers on Planet Earth expect teachers to be graduates with training.
Evanc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your responses, except for scot47. Please keep them coming.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Evanc,

scot47's post is the truth. If you want to hear only what pleases you, well, good luck if you ever go abroad to "teach" without any qualifications.

Regards,
John
Evanc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
santi84 without any qualifications

I will have a CETLA certificate, but not a degree.

It's not that I want to hear only what pleases me, as nice as that may be, I just want to know about TEFL. I don't really think scot47's post is the truth - What rules say what? Perhaps 99.9% of employers on Earth want teachers to have a degree, but I bet that 99.9% of employers don't require a degree. Even from viewing the job forum on this site I see many jobs that don't require a degree. I don't want to break any rules. I'm not a bad person wanting to screw over someone's life by teaching them incorrect English. There seems to be a high demand for English teachers, with or without a degree. I'm just trying to find out the answers to my questions. One of those questions being: Where can I teach English LEGALLY without a degree?

Thanks!
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you care abut the quality of the job or its pay? You will not get good ones without a degree most of the time. Just saying you want to work legally puts you there. It sounds like all you want is a ticket to a place that does not care about its students, yet you get paid to show up, do what little you can possibly do without any training, and perhaps do more sightseeing than work.

Yes, there are places that offer just what you want. Japan is one of them, but research the quality of the situation before leaping into it.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evanc wrote:
It's not that I want to hear only what pleases me, as nice as that may be, I just want to know about TEFL. I don't really think scot47's post is the truth - What rules say what? Perhaps 99.9% of employers on Earth want teachers to have a degree, but I bet that 99.9% of employers don't require a degree. Even from viewing the job forum on this site I see many jobs that don't require a degree.

There seems to be a high demand for English teachers, with or without a degree. I'm just trying to find out the answers to my questions. One of those questions being: Where can I teach English LEGALLY without a degree?

A high demand even for those without a degree? Seriously? You really haven't been reading our comments carefully (a skill you'll need if you expect to be an effective teacher). Best to consider suggestions from those of us working in this field and not from info on websites by TEFL course providers specializing in selling dreams.

Anyway, my final advice is that you focus on countries first---those in which you can get a work permit without having a college degree. This is your primary issue. Do this research on your own instead of asking us for it; it will be a good learning experience for you. Once you've narrowed it down to specific countries, start looking at job ads for those areas. Guaranteed you won't find that 99% of employers in those countries don't care if the teacher has a degree or not. (And those that don't care usually turn out to be lousy to work for.) Additionally, you'll need to keep checking those country visa regs; things change. Good luck.
Evanc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your advice. I have been doing a lot of research on my own. I'm trying to narrow it down, but like I said earlier, I'm finding a lot of misleading information. That's why I'm seeking information from those of you who work directly in the field! Again, thanks for the advice.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evanc wrote:
Quote:
santi84 without any qualifications

I will have a CETLA certificate, but not a degree.

It's not that I want to hear only what pleases me, as nice as that may be, I just want to know about TEFL. I don't really think scot47's post is the truth - What rules say what? Perhaps 99.9% of employers on Earth want teachers to have a degree, but I bet that 99.9% of employers don't require a degree. Even from viewing the job forum on this site I see many jobs that don't require a degree. I don't want to break any rules. I'm not a bad person wanting to screw over someone's life by teaching them incorrect English. There seems to be a high demand for English teachers, with or without a degree. I'm just trying to find out the answers to my questions. One of those questions being: Where can I teach English LEGALLY without a degree?

Thanks!

The bad news is that your TEFL provider, if they told you that you can work your way around the world with just a TEFL or CELTA, sold you a pipe dream.

The truth is that those days are just about gone.

The (legal) job opportunities for those without a degree, as teachers, are few and far between and getting scarcer as governments, through their immigration departments, require more and more credentials for a proper visa.

Add to that the downturn in the US economy and the number of college grads looking to work abroad because there is no work in the US has swelled the competition for those TEFL jobs making it virtually impossible for the applicant with no degree to get a job (or at least one that comes with all the proper paperwork).

This question always comes up when the weather starts to get cold and people see the TEFL websites with pictures of warm, exotic places and promises of "Teach and Travel".

The reality is far different.

Can you get work abroad with just a TEFL cert = probably.
Will it be well paid = probably not.
Will it come with a proper visa and necessary permits = probably not.

Next question is back to YOU. Do you have the financial ability to sustain yourself abroad for 2-4 months, have money for rental deposits and airfare or accommodation before you see your first payday?

If yes, then get a plane ticket, get a tourist visa for the destination of your choice and hit the bricks. You, with nothing more than a CELTA (or other TEFL cert) won't be finding a job as an entry level teacher while you are sitting in your living room (they don't need to import back-packers. There are lots abroad already with the same qualifications that you (will) have and are ready to work now).

Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One of those questions being: Where can I teach English LEGALLY without a degree?

Much of Latin America, Cambodia until 2015, Ukraine, Russia, Eastern/Central Europe. (Ukraine and Russia is friend-of-a-friend info, so you need to verify elsewhere.) The Georgia Ministry of Ed program requires two years of college, but I don't know if that's a visa or a program requirement.

If I wanted to test the EFL waters without a degree, I would target Latin America or Cambodia. Mexico would be high on my list. Without an EU member state passport, I would probably not consider even those newer EU member countries where I could legally work, such as Slovakia, Hungary, CR, Poland, etc. The lack of a degree is one strike against you. The North American passport is another--obviously not impossible to overcome in those new EU countries, but now it's TWO obstacles instead of one. If you're going to look for work without a degree, I wouldn't recommend a country where your passport is also an issue. Take that item off your potential employer's list of concerns.

Once you have decided on a country, I would recommend taking your CELTA course there. Taking your training course in the country where you intend to work is frequently suggested, but in your case would be especially helpful to your job prospects. Since you will be at a serious competitive disadvantage, the additional networking capability of a local course could only help your chances. Local references are usually weighted more heavily. If a potential employer is considering taking a chance on you, being able to pick up the phone and chat with someone across town--at a training center with a solid local reputation--could make all the difference. Since you will not be in the running for 90% of the jobs out there, your trainers and school staff can help steer you towards employers who might give you a chance.

Lastly, consider less popular locations, perhaps smaller cities and towns in your chosen country. If you are willing to live in a rural location, for example, you will often be able to increase your odds dramatically. It may also improve your chances at a school that is a little above the bottom of the barrel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: