Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long Term Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
p1randal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Long Term Options Reply with quote

Hello Everyone:

I have a Bachelors in Spanish and English and just finished my M.A in Tesol. I was wondering what would be a good long term situation in Indo? People seem to bad mouth EF on here but their situation I thought was a good one as unlike other schools there appears to be a chance for upward mobility.

I do have a DUI unfortunately, and I was wondering if that also would be a kiss of death here.

In addition to my credentials I have 5 years experience and am willing (if it would really make my salary/life better) to get state "certified" here in the good old U.S.A.

Any info is appreciated,

Thanks
chezal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Long Term Options Reply with quote

If you want to make a good life for yourself long term the awful salary of EF just isn't going to cut it. Get yourself certified and go the national plus /international school route. More money and much better benefits and long term options there. Should add that's the route I took. I started out teaching ESL in Indonesia and then went home and got QTS and more than tripled my salary on return.

On the DUI it doesn't make any difference in Indonesia as they don't ask for police checks.
Tudor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of opportunities within EF to advance, but, as Chezal said, the money's pretty dire. A DoS at EF will probably earn around the same as, if not less, than a first-year teacher at TBI or Wall Street. Also, think about what you're letting yourself in for - yes, they have a poor reputation, and as the DoS, you'd have to manage all those unhappy teachers. An EF DoS recently told me that out of 40+ teachers who join in a year, only 5 or 6 will sign up for a second year and most of those will have been offered senior teacher positions. That speaks volumes.

If you don't want to take the international school route, consider a language school like IALF - they are probably Indonesia's equivalent to the British Council in that they're funded by the Australian government, only employ serious teachers (as opposed to 'backpacker' teachers), they invest in their teachers' development etc. Another option would be Binus University - they only employ MA holders, who are fairly thin on the ground in Indonesia so you could stand a good chance of landing a position there.

Apart from the above and perhaps one or two other places, your qualifications are wasted in Indonesia, and most certainly at somewhere like EF.
p1randal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After posting this message I started to look into Wall Street and it seems to be a much better situation. I also prefer to teach adults which is what I specialize in.

The whole "certified" thing is bizarre to me. I have 6 years of schooling between my B.A and MA and the MA is in "Teaching English" so why people care so much about some sort of state certification is strange to me. I may work on a program online whilst working at a school. For me though, the fact I will have to take "Education 210" when I just finished "Education 650" is just insane.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: