Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good places to live in Istanbul?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saramainly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Good places to live in Istanbul? Reply with quote

Where is a good location in Istanbul?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kadikoy.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it depends what you are looking for, what your budget is, and how willing you are to travel.

If you've got a spouse doing a job that pays good money, and you're looking for somewhere close to, but not in the the middle of the hustle bustle, then I would say Arnavutkoy or Bebek would be great options.

You're right on the Bosphorous, which gives you invaluable breathing space, and you'd have some of the best views of the city on your doorstep.
parnett

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Istanbul for 13 years mostly on the European side. For me, it was the quality of the apartment I was living in that was most important. The following is what I can recall from each of the areas I lived in:
Bahcesehir- As I stated in another post, it's a beautiful modern suburb of Istanbul. It's also expensive, boring and too far from Taksim. I lived in a gorgeous flat (all the apartments there are nice) paid for by the school.
Sirinevler- I hated this place as it was dirty, noisy and full of poor people and drug sniffers. Of course, it was cheaper than most areas of Istanbul. The two apartments I lived in were neither great nor awful. There is Atakoy across the bridge.
Kadikoy- Great for some, not so great for others. It's noisy and dirty. Traffic is horrible. It's also on the sea, and there's lots of restaurants, shops, bars etc. nearby. Plenty of foreigners there. I lived in three horrible apartments, and that may have tempered my view of this place.
Esentepe- Not much happening there except for shopping in the two big malls. It's quiet and very expensive. I had a nice flat there, but paid too much for it.
Atasehir- This place was paradise for me because I lived in a wonderful apartment in a new building. It's expensive to live there. Many, many new high rise apartment buildings surrounded by gypsy hovels. If you work on the European side, it's hell going over the bridge twice a day. No nightlife to speak of.
Mikalina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in kadikoy on 'the Asian side' for a while - amazing market and sitting on the front drinking coffee was peaceful.....

Then moved over the Bosphorus to the European side - which meant crossing it every day for work - to Bekistss (Bekistash). Bit 'grubbier' but I loved the fact that it was open 24 hours a day and had cheapish apartments and was, of course, on the right side for all the touristy things...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: