Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Date on the invitation letter - can I go into China sooner?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haopengyou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Date on the invitation letter - can I go into China sooner? Reply with quote

I finally got the scanned version of my invitation letter for the teaching job in Shenzhen. The "enter into China" date on the invitation letter is 12/30/2012. Can I go in sooner than that? or do I have to wait until that date? I am a U.S. citizen.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can. It's not an "etched in stone" date, it means "thereabouts". The only people who will need to see the invitation letter are the embassy folk. After you get the visa, there is an "enter before" date (three months, if memory serves).
vikeologist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that your employer will (probably) have a month to make the visa you enter on permanent. If you come to China a couple of weeks before starting your job, they may not have enough time.

But if its just a few days, then, as JohnPartee points out, you shouldn't have a problem. When you apply for the visa, you'll give an expected date of entry into China. For instance my visa this summer started the day before the 'enter into China' date on my invitation letter.
GreatApe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that Chinese New Year falls on February 10th this year, so if you do decide to wait beyond 12/30/2012, you don't want to wait too long.

I learned this by experience. I arrived in Hong Kong on February 8th, 2010 and had to travel from H.K. to mainland China on the 9th. Chinese New Year in 2010 also fell on February 10th.

With a lot of luggage? In a word: "OUCH!"

--GA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: