Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resources for teaching a Business Writing class in China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nkengaola

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Resources for teaching a Business Writing class in China Reply with quote

Hello all! I have begun teaching a Business English Writing class at a college in China. The only resources I have are a blackboard, chalk, and a fairly outdated and error-filled business writing book. What business writing resources do you use in a low-resource environment? I can download things at home and take them with me on my laptop, but I have no way of showing them to the students.

I know this is asking a lot, but any additional information is helpful.
juanisaac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: English Books Reply with quote

Hi. I am currently teaching a student with a pretty good Business Book and cd. You will need a student to help get the CD and book from Tao Bao (kind of like E-bay/Amazon combined). The name of the book is English for Business Life. It is not so grammar heavy but it is rich in vocabulary and scenarios to practice English language business situations. There are 6 books in the series, from beginning to advanced. One book should last you one to two semesters. Total for the CD and Book should be around 200 Yuan. Good luck.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you could do, if you find decent writing samples or relevant vocabulary lists on the Internet is to either send the links to the students by email (they all have an email address) or if you find it through a VPN or other workaround to the firewall, copy the information to a document or ppt and then email it to them. Obviously the materials need to be sent with enough time for the students to see them. Or you could print pages out, although your school may be reluctant to use school resources to accomplish that. Copies are cheap at the local print shops, but if you have a large class, it could add up to not-cheap.
GreatApe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used "Global Links" and "Market Leader" several times and had good success with both of them. Here's a link to both the Global Links page and Market Leader, as well as another link to Pearson ELT where you can find a wide variety of Business English materials.

http://occawlonline.pearsoned.com/bookbind/pubbooks/gl1_awl/chapter0/deluxe.html

http://www.market-leader.net/

http://www.pearsonelt.com/pearsonelt/products/searchresults.page?

I've also taught PASS Cambridge BEC (Preliminary, etc.) with great success. I really prefer the Cambridge and "Market Leader" series', but it may depend more on the level of students you are teaching. The "Market Leader" series is quite good, in my opinion.

The "Global Links" series typically comes with a DVD as well, and for lower level students you might try supplementing with "Challenge to Speak 1" and/or "Challenge to Speak 2." I taught both 1 and 2 at university for a year to students who were English majors and/or Business majors.

Good Luck!

--GA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: