Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL certification and chances of getting a job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amye90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: TEFL certification and chances of getting a job Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm seriously thinking about getting TEFL certified and teaching abroad but I don't know which company to use. I've been looking at LanguageCorps and TEFLintstitute. Does anyone know anything about them? Or any others?

Also, how difficult is it to work in Prague as an American?

I appreciate any advice anyone can give!

Thank you!
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get certified in Prague, then.

All of the cert courses currently in Prague have stood the test of time and will be recognized by local employers. They are all CELTA/equivalent; on-site 120 hours, including supervised teaching with real students. The only real issue is brand name (CELTA/Trinity) versus generic. I have a generic cert (from 15 years ago) and so long as I highlight the key components of on-site, number of hours, and supervised teaching practice with real students, it's been accepted everywhere.

So far as finding a job, timing is the important element. Particularly because EU member citizens are preferred (though non-EU teachers CAN still get legal work permits here, unlike Western Europe), you'll want to be here ready to look for work in the peak hiring period. That's the end of August through September. Arriving in February or March is a great way to end up unemployed and over your 90 day Schengen zone time limit (google the Zone if you're not already familiar).

So, taking a course in July/early August gives you the best shot at finding something.
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be successful in the CZ now as a non EU, you're going to need a few things.

1. A 4-week non online TEFL course.

2. A course that helps you get a Zivnostensky (most likely).

3. Good post course job assistance.

The best thing to do is to contact these providers and have them get you in contact with recent graduates who are now working successfully in the city. Courses don't have to offer any post course assistance to be accredited TEFL courses and a lot of schools don't. That was fine 5 years ago, but you'll need these things above if you are going to be successful. If a course can't get you into contact with 5 recent graduates, they should probably be avoided.

Cheers,

Chris Westergaard
The Language House
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: