Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short Term Summer Jobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgleit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Short Term Summer Jobs Reply with quote

Any Recommendations for a fun, short term job next summer?

I am a certified art teacher in Pennsylvania with a master's degree in elementary education. I've lived in China for a little over a year. I currently teach art at an elementary school in Shanghai.

I'd like a two week job somewhere new and interesting. I'm mostly interested in going somewhere in Southeast Asia but I'm flexible. I'll have a month and a half for summer vacation. I'm planning to go home to visit family for around two weeks but otherwise my schedule is pretty flexible. My husband is going to be working in Shanghai for most of the summer so I don't want to be away from him for too long. He'd probably come visit for a few days if I go somewhere interesting since his work schedule is pretty flexible.

Anyone have suggestions, or know of a place interested in a short term English speaking art teacher. I always get bored over summer vacation if I'm not working but I can't commit to working for my entire vacation. I wouldn't mind extra money but I'd be equally interested in a volunteer opportunity if it was for a worthwhile cause. I'd really like to find something fun and creative to do that will leave me time to travel. I'd like the chance to do some sightseeing or outdoorsy things. I'm not sure what I'm likely to find for such a short time realistically.
sgleit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have found an answer to my own question. I found a few volunteer listings on idealist.org that sound promising. Does anyone know anything about these organizations:

http://www.lovevolunteers.org/user/register
http://www.unitedplanet.org/volunteer-in-cambodia
http://aboutasiaschools.org/
http://www.facebook.com/ChhanSchool
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Short Term Summer Jobs Reply with quote

sgleit wrote:
Any Recommendations for a fun, short term job next summer?

I am a certified art teacher in Pennsylvania with a master's degree in elementary education. I've lived in China for a little over a year. I currently teach art at an elementary school in Shanghai.

I'd like a two week job somewhere new and interesting. I'm mostly interested in going somewhere in Southeast Asia but I'm flexible. I'll have a month and a half for summer vacation. I'm planning to go home to visit family for around two weeks but otherwise my schedule is pretty flexible. My husband is going to be working in Shanghai for most of the summer so I don't want to be away from him for too long. He'd probably come visit for a few days if I go somewhere interesting since his work schedule is pretty flexible.

Anyone have suggestions, or know of a place interested in a short term English speaking art teacher. I always get bored over summer vacation if I'm not working but I can't commit to working for my entire vacation. I wouldn't mind extra money but I'd be equally interested in a volunteer opportunity if it was for a worthwhile cause. I'd really like to find something fun and creative to do that will leave me time to travel. I'd like the chance to do some sightseeing or outdoorsy things. I'm not sure what I'm likely to find for such a short time realistically.

Your biggest problem is that "summer vacations" are often in different months in different countries so when you are free in Shanghai the kids in Thailand and Korea are still in school. Other examples also apply.

Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want paid work outside of China, you will probably have to get a work visa for the opportunity. Not very likely IMO for only 14 days. Best of luck.

Even if you volunteer, it will be money out of your pocket just to get there and live, in most cases I would imagine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: