Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scan of old passport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maritimer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Scan of old passport Reply with quote

I'm thinking of looking for a job at a university for the September start, but haven't yet applied for a new passport. It should take twenty business days to process. I have an old one, but it expired nine years ago. If I scan the old one and use that to apply for jobs in the meantime, will it look bad that I haven't had a passport for nine years? Should I wait to build a profile on seriousteachers etc., or get started now. I feel that I'm cutting things a little fine as it is. Thanks for any feedback.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd leave out the old passport and substitute your short form birth cert and a happy smiling lifestyle pic.
State 'New passport awaited'.
Important now that you get some conversations going. You cant get a visa of any type without a current PP, so no problem until you get to the point of accepting an offer.
An ancient expired PP is just a distraction.
vikeologist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't even apply for jobs until you have the new passport. There's still plenty of time.

Most Unis will ignore your application without a current passport, so if you apply now, you'll just have to apply again in a month's time.

If a Uni does want you, they'll have to wait for your new passport before they can apply for your invitation letter. During that time you might decide to take another job while they're sitting on their arse waiting for you. It would be idiotic for them to do that.

So, get your passport, then apply.
Kysorb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone else about waiting and wanted to add one more point.

Your new passport will get a new number and that is one more thing the FAO could confuse with your invitation letter then your screwed out of a job or delayed another month. It happens.
hilena_westb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ridiculous to do anything without your passport in-hand; not applied for, on the way, etc. It can be delayed by days, weeks, or even months in some cases. It is the professional thing to do to wait for having everything in-hand. Of course, if you are direct and clear (upfront) with potential employers, tell them the situation and maybe they will wait; but unlikely.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go ahead and apply with your old passport. black out the passport
number and the issue/expiry dates. including a scan of your passport
with your application is to prove your big-5 status and your whiteness.
employers have no need of passport numbers at this point.

apply for your passport now, and you'll have it back by the time any
potential employers begin to get serious.

i got my renewal in guangzhou, with passport printed in the us, in about
ten days. i can't imagine it would take much longer in the states.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hilena_westb wrote:
It's ridiculous to do anything without your passport in-hand; not applied for, on the way, etc. It can be delayed by days, weeks, or even months in some cases. It is the professional thing to do to wait for having everything in-hand. Of course, if you are direct and clear (upfront) with potential employers, tell them the situation and maybe they will wait; but unlikely.

So what you are saying is risk missing out on the current hiring season (it will be over in weeks) because it is unprofessional to apply without 'having everything in-hand'.
Do not delay.
Do not use a passport that will be replaced before the permanent residence process is completed.
My last school did some preliminary form filling based on my old PP details and failed to note that that the new one they eventually forwarded to the PSB was different. Believe me you do not want that hassle.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just apply now without the pp. Some schools may ignore you, but they may ignore you with a passport as well. You can always re-send your updated email when you have the passport. Don't worry about bothering FAOs with too many emails, unless were talking double figures here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: