Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OTT wanting to go to the UK to teach - HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pedroj0se

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: OTT wanting to go to the UK to teach - HELP Reply with quote

I'm an OTT (Overseas Trained Teacher) teaching English here in China and I want to know if there's anyone here in the forum that could help me on how to hasten my application of getting a teaching job in the UK. I have a double degree in Mathematics and Computer Applications and a licensed teacher at the same time. I have my qualification but I can't seem to hit the right button on landing a teaching job in the UK.

Getting a teaching job here in China is an arduous task as it is for a FILIPINO like me and after a few months of discrimination I finally made myself as one of the sought-after teacher here in Foshan and getting the same compensation as my north american and european expatriates. Im not saying this to brag on my accomplishemts here but merely selling myself in the process.

Please give me an advice on how I could realize this quest of mine. Any help from my fellow teachers around the globe will be deeply appreciated.

My sincerest thanks for any of your help.
leeroy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a born-and-bred Brit, I can't say I've been through the necessary procedures for an OTT to land a job in Britain.

But, I would imagine, you would need a work visa. These are tricky for anyone non-EU to get - although a Kiwi and Canadian currently work at my school (through marriage, ever considered that? Smile)

Generally schools won't help you get a visa, English teachers aren't exactly in short supply here. It's great that you have degree(s) - but them not being related to the field probably won't help much either.

You mention you are a licensed teacher. What do you mean by that? If you mean a PGCE (or something equivalent) then a pathway might be open to mainstream education - although that doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Even if you can secure a visa, a CELTA or Trinity qualification are considered the bare minimum by most employers here. A DELTA or DipTESOL will have employers drooling.

But, perhaps most importantly, the state of affairs for most English Teachers here is an absolute joke. We're paid a pittance - your standard of life (financially speaking) will be far better in China.

About being a filipino - if you speak English as a native speaker would then that won't be a problem. Anything less and it almost certainly will. Skin colour is not an issue (there are plenty of English teachers here of non-White ethnicity), students and employers alike understand that.

Sorry I can't be more help - good luck.
SueH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, if you are a maths teacher that is a shortage subject and I've even heard of Bulgarian maths teachers over here. Try the govt. dept of education and skills web-site for leads.

Sue
pedroj0se

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: THANKS!!! Reply with quote

Actually I am looking for a maths or ict teacher position. I have done my share of knowing how an OTT like me can land a job in the UK. The only challenge that I have right now is how to find a school that will support my training as an OTT taking an employment based route to get QTS after a year of working.

I am trying to look for some recruitment agency that could help me on looking for some secondary schools in the UK that would be willing to employ me. My only concern in getting help from a recruitment agency is that they might try to rob me blind while holding me.

I am hoping if your school would be needing a math or ict teacher and they are willing to support an OTT to go tho all this process of acquiring a working visa etc. please inform me so I could give it a shot. Teaching mathematics is something that I enjoy more so if I could work as a math teacher or an ict teacher in england, that would really be a fulfillment of my goal in my teaching career.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: