Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cost of Living: Qatar v. Oman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Cost of Living: Qatar v. Oman Reply with quote

From what I've read online, it seems that Qatar has a much higher cost of living than Oman. However, the results of the surveys are influenced significantly by housing (purchasing and renting) and this wouldn't apply to most English teachers because accommodation is usually included.

Food, petrol, utilities and entertainment expenses will be the areas that affect them directly.

A hypothetical situation: An English language teacher is offered two jobs--one in Doha and one in Muscat. The job in Doha pays 15,000 USD /year more than the job in Muscat. From which job is the English teacher likely to save more at the end of the year?

Thanks. Smile
millie18

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long is a piece of string?

There are many variables including your personal lifestyle, vacations you take, etc. etc. etc.

Also you have to consider the Kafala system, you don't get to exit whenever you like, your employer gives you permission to leave. No permission, no leave.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Millie. This is one of those questions that no one can answer but you---only you know your personal spending habits and lifestyle. Other variables to consider are frequency of spending, level of spending (e.g., buying high-priced items, eating at expensive restaurants, etc.), types of entertainment, credit card debts and/or other legal financial obligations you're paying on, and so on. But generally, if you live like a pauper, you'll save in either situation. If you spend like money grows on trees, then...
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught in Sohar - about 2.5 hours drive from Muscat and I've spent some time in Muscat. Sohar is so damn boring. I was there before the mall was finished.

Which position offers the best overall deal on housing? I feel that it's not what you make, it's what you can save. Your savings ratio is key to understand. If you are cheap - like me - and it doesn't matter if Qatar has the chance of taking more of your savings because you want to go out every night, I would take the job that will put more money in the bank when everything is paid for at the end of each month.

It won't matter if a chicken dish costs 5% more in either country. Housing is the key. No water bill? No elec. bill? Do you get free internet in your apt? Do you have to pay a deposit/cleaning fee/move out fee? Do you need to buy big items for your apt (bed, oven, fridge)? Is one location going to cost $20.00 more a week in taxis? Can you walk to a large supermarket that is close to your apt?

P.S. I have a ball of string in my top desk drawer that is 127 feet, 6.4 inches long. It is off-white in color and sheathed in a light wax. The exposed tip has been burned into a fine point (once I twisted the hot, melting wax between my index finger and thumb). I did this small act of arson because I had to thread the aforementioned tip through a small metal hole (thus lancing the hole) in the window frame of the room I use to hang/dry my clothes in order to gently cox my new internet cable up four flights of stairs from the outside!! One cannot image the look of jubilation on Budi (Indonesian for “The wise one”), the STC Internet Division (New Customer Installation Department, English-speaking Group) employee. Budi saw the tip slither its way through the jagged, warped hole piecing my frame. High-fives abound. Whew. What a busy day that was! Life is KSA can be so wonderfully adrenaline-charged!!!!

Has anyone ever tried Red Bull?
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any savings made by a lower cost of living in Muscat would be insignificant compared to $15,000. If you want to save money, take the Doha job.

psychedelicacy wrote:
Other than rent and internet (my internet costs 100 riyals per week, although it is 4G), I find Qatar to be very cheap and basically the same as Saudi Arabia. Going out drinking in the hotels and eating in restaurants at Souq Waqif and The Pearl are the only threats posed to my saving handsomely.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1138913&highlight=#1138913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: