Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Decent Salary?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: and... Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
And he's nothing special, he only realised that many Polish companies prefer to stay in Central/Eastern Europe rather than Western because they simply don't understand the markets. Anyone could do the same if they had any talent whatsoever at selling themselves.
I think we've finally discovered the secret behind delph's uncanny ability to thrive in PL. Just out of curiosity, how much do you charge for an hour of yourself?

About having the summers off: Is it really so bad to have the most beautiful time of year off? If you need the money, summer camps abound, both in PL, in England and elsewhere. These offer a refreshing change from the split shifts (as long as you can teach kids). A working holiday, really. Last summer I did a two-month camp in Vietnam followed by a 1.5 month vacation. Bank account was in the black last time I checked.
dynow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: and... Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
delphian-domine wrote:
And he's nothing special, he only realised that many Polish companies prefer to stay in Central/Eastern Europe rather than Western because they simply don't understand the markets. Anyone could do the same if they had any talent whatsoever at selling themselves.
I think we've finally discovered the secret behind delph's uncanny ability to thrive in PL. Just out of curiosity, how much do you charge for an hour of yourself?

What's "uncanny" about Delphian-domine is how he seems to "know a guy" for every single situation anyone here can mention about Poland.

I could say something about potatoes in Poland and he'd tell us all a story about a potato farmer he knows that said differently.

Quote:
....he only realised that many Polish companies prefer to stay in Central/Eastern Europe rather than Western because they simply don't understand the markets.

and what exactly is it that Polish people don't understand about western economies?
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: and... Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
delphian-domine wrote:

I don't do private classes anymore, but I used to charge between 40-80zl depending on what I could get away with. What I used to do was vary the price according to time and demand - as well as exchanging 3 hours a week of English at times that suited me in exchange for an office space to use for private classes.

Even little things made a huge difference - I had a Google Calendar and kept it updated with my exact schedule and prices charged for that time/day. All the schools that I worked with (and ones I didn't, but they were interested) had my calendar - so I'd often get calls asking me to cover some classes and so on. It also helped with negotiating with schools - I might have asked for a minimum of 150zl to go to a company outside of the city, but if I was nearby and they could schedule the class in a way that suited me, I could drop the price and we would both come out ahead.

I think the most critical thing was constantly working at selling myself - I would reply to adverts even if I had no intention of taking the work offered, just to be able to get to talk to school directors. I'd also make a point of sending CV's to schools elsewhere - a surprising amount of companies had classes organised by the head offices elsewhere in Poland - schools with no actual presence in Poznan.

Quote:
About having the summers off: Is it really so bad to have the most beautiful time of year off? If you need the money, summer camps abound, both in PL, in England and elsewhere. These offer a refreshing change from the split shifts (as long as you can teach kids). A working holiday, really. Last summer I did a two-month camp in Vietnam followed by a 1.5 month vacation. Bank account was in the black last time I checked.

Or look at it another way - it's 3 months to network like hell and try and find something better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: