Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-caucasian teachers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clau27

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Non-caucasian teachers Reply with quote

Hi all,

I tried to the search function but to no avail.
I am just wondering how diverse are the teachers in Turkey, especially Istanbul? What are the chances of language schools taking someone on who is not 100% white but is a native English speaker?

The reason I'm asking is because I just finished my CELTA in Australia and i'm looking for a job somewhere that is not Japan or Korea. I am three quarters chinese, born and raised in Australia. If the same perception of only white people can speak English holds in Turkey, I might reconsider applying for jobs in Turkey.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, Turks are less racist than other countries I have been to, unless of course you happen to be a Kurd!
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or an Arab.
But yeah, you should be fine clau.

~Q
oipivo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem at all in Turkey. Pretty much anyone can find work here.
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When dealing with race there are two areas (i) socially and (ii) professionally.

People of African descent don't usually have a problem securing a job if they are natie speakers and qualified.

Socially they usually don't have a problem as many are considered exotic but some have had the odd problem.

I know a few East Indian looking people that were told by employers that Eng couldn't be their first lang. because of the way they looked.

This problem occurred only a few times for them but they literally had to argue as to what their first lang. was.

However, on a social level you'll find that most Turks are ok.
tarte tatin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll have any problems at all. The Turks consider themselves a partly Mongol race, and therefore practically your relative. A friend of mine is Japanese American, and they loved her.

They are very interested in and attracted to Far Eastern culture (except the food), so I think you will the the subject of a lot of friendly curiosity.
cartago

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of hostile racism against people of East Asian ancestry. They do however tend to stand out a lot because there are few non-white/Middle Eastern people in Turkey outside of areas with lots and lots of tourists. You would have to get used to standing out quite a bit. People are also less sensitive to racial issues so they could make some ignorant statements like that all Asian people look alike and they all eat bugs and snakes. It's important to remember that it's not meant to be offensive.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cartago wrote:
I haven't heard of hostile racism against people of East Asian ancestry. They do however tend to stand out a lot because there are few non-white/Middle Eastern people in Turkey outside of areas with lots and lots of tourists. You would have to get used to standing out quite a bit. People are also less sensitive to racial issues so they could make some ignorant statements like that all Asian people look alike and they all eat bugs and snakes. It's important to remember that it's not meant to be offensive.

There aren't a lot of East Asians permenently living in Turkey, but as mentioned there are a lot of Asian tourists in the western part (went I went to Ephesus I could have sworn I was in Hong Kong), and there's also a surprising number of black people permanently living all over Turkey. Basically, anywhere there's jobs in Turkey, there's refugees and economic migrants.

The ex-Soviets, Arabs, and Iranians all kind of blend in with the locals to me, but are obvious to Turks (or at least they're obvious as non-Turks; I've had people address me in Arabic despite being fair-haired and pale-skinned), while other groups like blacks and East Asians, though being much more obvious to us non-Turks, are also far less common, and thus seen more as "exotic" than as an economic threat. You might get looks, but unless you're in the east, you probably won't get stares.

Even then, in terms of blending in, in eastern and central Turkey I see quite a few Turks (especially children) who look like they might be part Asian. Since you're part white, you might be assumed to be part of this group; though I'm not clear how "Asian" you actually look. Of course I see far more actual Asians in Kayseri, Ankara, and western Turkey than I do "Asian-looking" Turks.

One thing I should mention as fair warning to other readers (but didn't since you're East Asian & white) is that the Anti-Kurdish/Anti-Romani sentiment might sometimes extend to South Asians, on account of many Kurds and most Romani I've met look somewhat South Asian. One Kurdish student I had apparently got comments on her "Indian" appearance, which she took to be a negative.

Regards,
~Q
cartago

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the same thing last time I went to Troy, tons of Japanese tourists but outside of tourist areas, well it's not unheard of to see East Asian people but still rare enough to attract attention.

I was thinking about Asian looking Turks too, I have seen a few. People normally think I'm Iranian or Syrian when they notice I'm not a native Turkish speaker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: