Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can we talk about salaries?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CasperDog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Can we talk about salaries? Reply with quote

Hey all,

Let's talk $$$$$?

I've been offered a job teaching pre-K. It seems like a really nice school, well-run and well-off, quite deep out on the Asian side. Hours are 8:30-4:30 5 days a week, but with breaks and such, so I won't actually be teaching that whole time. There's also a few weeks of paid vacation on holidays and winter break and such.

I've been offered 2500 TL/month. No housing but they will be getting me a work permit. Lunch included, too. Yum.

Does this seem good/bad/normal? What are salaries like these days in Istanbul? For reference, I'm TEFL-certified but have no CELTA or previous experience teaching English abroad.

TANX.
gorkomi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CELTA, 7 years experience, and a BA. I was offered 2700 total at a university. I'd really have liked to work there, but when students are paying as much as they are, there's no excuse for a salary that low.
billy orr

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. The downward pressure on wages seems quite strong at the moment, and some places are tying it on. It is important for qualified teachers to resist and not accept poor offers.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that this is a reasonable salary for someone relativity new to this line of work. Anyone with more experience, say 10 + years and a few more pieces of paper should be pulling over 3k, that TL not dollars.
ladonnaoscurata

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually disagree with the responses. My first year working at a pre-K I was offered $1,500 US. The next year, at a different pre-K school, I jumped up to $1,900 with free housing. The year after that, at yet another pre-K school I got $1,950 plus 600TL in housing money. I haven't been living in Turkey for a couple of years but it seems like salaries are on the decline Sad That worries me since I have plans to move back next year!
vashdown2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently job-hunting in Turkey.

It seems to work at a public K-12 you make around 2,500 TL. NO housing.

There are also K-12's offering the same salary, 2,500 TL, but with free housing which saves you at least 700 lira a month.

I would keep on hunting until you get either a housing stipend or free housing with the package.
CECTPA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just you; anecdotally from recent conversations among acquaintances representing a range of school types, I notice the lowballing trend is definitely a reality.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't think it's that bad, but then I teach adults, and frankly you would have to pay me considerably more than that for me to teach pre-K. But the work-permit is good (I also get a work permit), and that's a tolerable offer for someone with absolutely no experience.

I make slightly more than that (well, when you include my housing allowance), but I have experience and live in Gaziantep, which generally ads a few hundred lira to one's salary per month, and I also work somewhat less-ideal hours. I do see some really great-sounding salaries (2k USD + housing) occasionally offered for pre-K and primary school positions in the southeast, but they're generally out in eastern Turkey, and generally ask for "teaching certification," which I assume means home-country public school teaching credentials.

Of course I assume that the OP will have accepted or rejected it by now, but my 3.5 kuruş for future reference.

Regards,
~Q
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: