Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need some advice
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie_teacher

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Need some advice Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm a student just about to start my M.A in TESOL from Sydney. I was looking for a job in Saudi. Is it wise to start looking from now? Where do i look for the best jobs? I've seen plenty of jobs on dave's and they all sound pretty good, but i don't know how to compare them. Keeping in mind that i'm looking for long term stay in Saudi, what do you guys recommend.

Thanks
p.s. I've got a wife and a child and i'm thiking of shipping my furniture to Saudi. Should i do that or should i just make a clean start there?
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: 2 places Reply with quote

Dear aussie_teacher,
I'd suggest King Fah'd University of Petroleum and Minerals (KFUPM) or the Insitutute of Public Administration (IPA). From what I've seen/heard, these may well be the two best, teacher-friendly, places to work in the Kingdom. But others - Stephen Jones, for example - may have some more, suitable suggestions.
I'd definitely advise against shipping the furniture - way too much hassle and expense and just not necessary. Most places will provide furnished housing. As for whether it's too early to begin checking, well, how long will your MA take, 2 years? If so, this may be a bit early, at least to contact places. But it's never to early to start doing research, as you've done here.
Regards,
John
aussie_teacher

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks heaps for the advice. I've actually got one year left and i know how long saudis can take to process things. i actually wanted to get there once i've finished. Could i get a job there without experience? If not, i'm actually going to get a job as an assistant teacher while i'm doing my M.A. Would that suffice?

Would it be wise to hook up with someone already working in one of those universities so they can get things rolling a little faster?
Thanks again
aussie_teacher

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i forgot to say that i've got one year for my M.A.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear aussie_teacher,
Well, one year is, I'd say, a good amount of lead-time to start contacting people there (and your knowing about the length of time usually required indicates that you've done some homework about the Kingdom).
No experience might well be a problem - many places do like potential employees to have some, two years, usually. But, considering the current situation - which I don't see ending anytime soon - I suspect that even those places would be willing - even happy - to get an native speaker with a TESOL MA, even one without experience. And having an "assistant teacher" job on your resume surely couldn't hurt.
As for hooking up with someone there, I'll PM you an e-mail address for the IPA. Others on the forum may be able to provide you with the same for other employers.
By the way, I know you seem interested only in Saudi Arabia, but have you considered the UAE? There are some good, high-paying jobs there, as well, and the living conditions, especially for someone with a family, are ususally considered more pleasant.
Regards,
John
aussie_teacher

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was actually thinking of the UAE. I thought KSA was cheaper though. I also have some friends in Jeddah and Riyadh already. I don't know anyone in UAE and i have no contacts. If you do know someone there that you think i can speak to, please let me know.

thanks
Mark100

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate

Do yourself a favour and targer UAE rather than Saudi.

Don't you read the papers?
aussie_teacher

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you make it seem horrible. I think it's dangerous, but where isn't it dangerous? besides, like is said b4, i know people in saudi arabia. I don't want to start fresh in a place i don't know, with ppl i don't know.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussie_teacher wrote:
I don't want to start fresh in a place i don't know, with ppl i don't know.

Oh, my.

Have you traveled much? Lived outside of your own country? I would not suggest the Middle East for one who is not relatively well-traveled unless you have a serious interest in the culture. The sentence quoted above suggests a hesitancy to approach the unknown... I think those who do best in the ME are those who seek to embrace their own demons and whatever else presents itself.
aussie_teacher

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived in Egypt for 8 months and it was fine. YEah there was the initial culture shock, but u get over it.

I do have a special interest in Saudi, mainly because of my family. I can't just expect them to blend in after living in Australia all their life. At lease in Saudi i know there are 3 other Aussie families there that i know and plenty more that i don't know.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussie_teacher wrote:
I do have a special interest in Saudi, mainly because of my family. I can't just expect them to blend in after living in Australia all their life. At lease in Saudi i know there are 3 other Aussie families there that i know and plenty more that i don't know.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's not exactly the sort of special interest I was thinking about.

I think you'll find three families of Ozzies in the UAE, too. No, wait, come to think of it, there may even be four... Razz

Well, whatever path you choose through the ME, do enjoy the sunshine and the food.

BD
Albulbul

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi is okay. Of course security is a problem. Is Madrid safer ?
Or London ? Or Istanbul ? Or Omagh ?

Check out KFUPM or IPA. Watch out for BAD employers. There are lots of them !

Send a pm to scot47. He does not bite !
Mark100

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bright side there should be plenty of jobs available in Saudi as most people are not interested in coming and those that are here are considering leaving.
Mark100

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a footnote to the situation here in Saudi.

There was a meeting the other night at the consulate in Dharhan and the consular official asked "why are you still here?" to the US expats.
It urged them all to leave immediately and that if they were forced to evacuate them that it would be very expensive.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: No way Reply with quote

If you are under 25 and you have no teaching experience, it is unlikely that you will be offered a job in KSA or UAE.

You MIGHT get a job in ELS or one of the other language schools but................................

Sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: