Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Residence permit / Transfer to a new school update
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
chinatimes



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 478

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Residence permit / Transfer to a new school update Reply with quote

So, it appears that we transfer schools by:

1) Canceling FEC
2) You don't need to give the new school or current school your passport
3) This means you can travel out of the country
4) I am assuming for the time being I could return on the same residence permit my current school got me. My current school said they won't cancel it.
5) Then, when I arrive, the new school would update my residence permit and extend it.

Is number 5 true? Am I correct in thinking this? Is there for any reason I would need to hand over my passport? I might make flight arrangements and I want to make sure I can leave. If I have to wait for a passport to get the residence permit extended, then I might as well hold off and just rent an apartment for a few weeks to a month.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johntpartee



Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 3204

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there for any reason I would need to hand over my passport?


No.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Javelin of Radiance



Joined: 01 Jul 2009
Posts: 1092
Location: The West

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you update or renew a residence permit after changing jobs WITHOUT handing your passport over to the local officials?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chinatimes



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 478

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javelin of Radiance wrote:
How can you update or renew a residence permit after changing jobs WITHOUT handing your passport over to the local officials?


Since my current residence permit isn't being canceled, I should be able to re-enter China. Then, I can update the residence permit with a new address.

Right now, the concern is getting a new employer or else I have to go through the whole process again. At least that's how I understand it, either invitation letter or transfer to a new employer by first canceling the current school's FEC, and then applying for a new FEC with the new school. I want to get this before I leave China.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Javelin of Radiance



Joined: 01 Jul 2009
Posts: 1092
Location: The West

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As written your post is confusing. "Then, when I arrive, the new school would update my residence permit and extend it." coming immediately before "Is there for any reason I would need to hand over my passport?" makes it appear you were asking if you could update a residence permit without handing over your passport, which is impossible.

I guess what you want to know is this, is your current residence permit going to be ok so you can leave the country for the winter holiday, then after the holiday re-enter China on the same old residence permit, find a new job and have the new employer renew the residence permit you already have? If it hasn't been cancelled by your former employer or the psb officials then it's ok.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chinatimes



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 478

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess what you want to know is this, is your current residence permit going to be ok so you can leave the country for the winter holiday, then after the holiday re-enter China on the same old residence permit, find a new job and have the new employer renew the residence permit you already have? If it hasn't been cancelled by your former employer or the psb officials then it's ok.


Instead of judging my words as confusing or not, look more closely at what is written:

1. "and then applying for a new FEC with the new school. I want to get this before I leave China." - Me

2. "leave the country for the winter holiday, then after the holiday re-enter China on the same old residence permit, find a new job" - You

If I get the new FEC before leaving, then I don't have to worry about an invitation letter before returning (assuming it is still valid).

The question about handing over the passport is that in the past I have trustingly given my passport to my school (3 in China) and they did all the paperwork. I then went with them one time only to the PSB.

So if I have to give the passport to the school again, it will be a problem this time because I plan on leaving the country. Before, I didn't so I didn't need my passport.

I don't want to book a flight until I know for certain I can have it before the flight date.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Voldermort



Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Posts: 597

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to cancel your FEC with your current school and begin the process of getting a new one with your new school. Once your new school has done this you will then need to get a new Residence Permit after which you will be safe to leave and re-enter the country. If there is enough time remaining on your RP, it may be possible to leave and extend it on return, but you are taking a risk in that your new school will actually do the paperwork during the holiday and in your absence.

If your RP expires during this process you will need to begin from scratch i.e. invitation letter, Z visa.

Your passport is not really required for the FEC but obviously the PSB will need it for the RP renewal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
choudoufu



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 3226
Location: Mao-berry, PRC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the new school in the same city/province?

when do the current FEC, RP and (unfinished) contract end?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johntpartee



Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 3204

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the OP is leaving China and returning before the current RP expires. The only reason to "turn over" the passport to anybody is to get the new RP glued into the passport, which doesn't need to be done until the old one runs out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chinatimes



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 478

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Once your new school has done this you will then need to get a new Residence Permit after which you will be safe to leave and re-enter the country.


I think this depends on your residence permit dates. I already tested it with my last school, and I was able to wait until the end (about 4 months) before extending it. The PSB made a big thing about not having the right document to release me, but eventually it got straightened out.

However, you are right with the typical end of a contract period. You should probably make sure you have a new residence permit. I'll post again here after the recruiter updates me on the progress.

Quote:
but you are taking a risk in that your new school will actually do the paperwork during the holiday and in your absence


The risk is only until the end of the date. Either they were going to extend or not. I guess this is for each person to decide. If the school has a contract for 2014, but only a residence permit until some month in 2013 what is the PSB going to do? Are they going to say you need fulfill the contract period or leave the country?

If you don't want to extend past that, are you in breach of the contract? These are side issues, but I never plan on testing it.

I would of course get the residence permit updated/extended at least 1 month before it expired.


Quote:
The only reason to "turn over" the passport to anybody is to get the new RP glued into the passport, which doesn't need to be done until the old one runs out.


That's good news. I still want the FEC. Without that, the new school can decide not to hire me and not process the documents. At least if they do the FEC stuff, they are showing some commitment. I don't want to go home and find out I need a new work visa.

If I am not mistaken, if I don't get a new FEC shortly after canceling the old FEC, then I have to do the process all over again. Or do they allow teachers to live as if it were an L visa and then just get the FEC months later?

I am not eager to take time off, but it would be an option if possible/allowed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chinatimes



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 478

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hit a snag.

The PSB will not cancel the FEC until the agreed cancellation date.

I was hoping to start the process for the new FEC earlier.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Voldermort



Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Posts: 597

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PSB doesn't cancel your FEC, that's handled by the Foreign Affairs Bureau. Also you can't cancel it before the end date of your contract. Once your contract is complete you should ask for a release letter which confirms the completion.

Don't try extending the RP yourself. Chances are you will be given an F or L visa then have to go through the whole process again. My advice still stands. Complete your contract, in the meantime have your new school begin the paperwork. Once completed have your new school give you a new RP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
chinatimes



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 478

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voldermort wrote:
The PSB doesn't cancel your FEC, that's handled by the Foreign Affairs Bureau. Also you can't cancel it before the end date of your contract. Once your contract is complete you should ask for a release letter which confirms the completion.

Don't try extending the RP yourself. Chances are you will be given an F or L visa then have to go through the whole process again. My advice still stands. Complete your contract, in the meantime have your new school begin the paperwork. Once completed have your new school give you a new RP.


Yes, you are right, the point was the FEC can't be canceled. It's not the end of the contract, it can also be the end of the cancellation date. In this case the school wants to stay legal, I don't blame them, and they refuse to cancel the FEC now.

I have a recruiter with the new school handling the residence permit issue. If I can return to China or leave China with the new RP is up to the recruiter. It doesn't matter to me. I won't be changing anything by myself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ecubyrd



Joined: 09 May 2009
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinatimes wrote:
Voldermort wrote:
The PSB doesn't cancel your FEC, that's handled by the Foreign Affairs Bureau. Also you can't cancel it before the end date of your contract. Once your contract is complete you should ask for a release letter which confirms the completion.

Don't try extending the RP yourself. Chances are you will be given an F or L visa then have to go through the whole process again. My advice still stands. Complete your contract, in the meantime have your new school begin the paperwork. Once completed have your new school give you a new RP.


Yes, you are right, the point was the FEC can't be canceled. It's not the end of the contract, it can also be the end of the cancellation date. In this case the school wants to stay legal, I don't blame them, and they refuse to cancel the FEC now.

I have a recruiter with the new school handling the residence permit issue. If I can return to China or leave China with the new RP is up to the recruiter. It doesn't matter to me. I won't be changing anything by myself.


Really? The FEC can't be canceled prior to the end of the original contract finish date? I'm positive I did just that in 2011 when changing schools (albeit my previous school had us working under an AEP, not FEC). Either way, the AEP had to be canceled in order for me to switch early. Now, if your current employer is refusing to help you do so is a completely different thing altogether. I got the new FEC with little problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chinatimes



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 478

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The FEC can't be canceled prior to the end of the original contract finish date?


No, that is not what I stated. This is what I stated:

"the point was the FEC can't be canceled. It's not the end of the contract, it can also be the end of the cancellation date."

The cancellation date can be anytime, that is what they are unwilling to change relative to the last day I work for them. They don't want it to be before my last day I work. If they just cancelled it now, then I could start the new FEC application process. They want to wait until I finish giving finals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC