Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlwild

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: New here Reply with quote

Hey guys,

New to these forums.

I'm graduating in spring with an applied linguistics degree and an adult TESOL certificate, and just wondering where would be a decent place to start looking.

I was previously looking at Taiwan, but it seems like there are not many adult education opportunities there.

China's big (duh) so just seeing if anyone has any suggestions for someone who has not taught internationally before.

Thanks!
jlwild

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and someplace warm preferably haha?
doogsville

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere warm? That would be the south then. Though at the moment it's around eighteen degrees in Guangdong. I never, having lived in the UK for so long, thought I would feel cold at eighteen degrees.

The best place to start looking would be on these very forums. A quick scan of the subject lines on not just the first, but also the other pages, will show up many similar threads for you to browse.

The other thing you might consider is being more specific, or at least giving us more information. 'Start looking' for what? Further information, a job, a good city to live in? Which month of Spring are you graduating in? You'll already have missed the start of the university Spring semester, which, while it's not the prime time to get a uni job, often throws up a few vacancies when other FT's quit half way through. The new term for the language mills and Kindergartens also starts around the beginning of March. You may have trouble getting the job you want unless you graduate in Early February so you have your certificates in hand to send copies to employers to allow them to process your paperwork for your Z visa.

Good luck with it though, and make sure you read, and read and read some more. China is full of surprises even when you've done your research.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New here Reply with quote

jlwild wrote:

I'm graduating in spring with an applied linguistics degree and an adult TESOL certificate, and just wondering where would be a decent place to start looking.

Any reason why you are looking at China? Or is it just one or many places you are thinking about?

The reason I ask .... is that China isnt really known for its professional approach to EFL. With a related degree and proper accredited TEFL qualifications you are probably already in the top 5% of foreign teachers in terms of qualifications. If you chose your undergrad studies with the specific goal of an EFL career, coming to China may not be the best bet IMHO. And if you stay in China and try to move elsewhere to teach EFL, you may encounter an attitude of 'oh, your experience is in China ... that's a shame ...'. Experience in China doesnt always transfer to other teaching contexts.

Of course ... many of us love China (including me) but if you are serious about 'career' it may not be the best place.

I would suggest avoiding public school / university work. All you have studied on SLA and CLT isnt likely to apply when you have 40+ students of mixed ability for 90 minutes a week with a remit of 'just speak English to them'. (a common scenario I think).

Wall Street might be worth a look though. Im sure you will get more posts suggesting otherwise but they are adult only, recognised worldwide (which may mean transferring to another country is easier) and have branches in the south.
jlwild

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am graduating after the spring semester, and I am going to be looking for a job after then - just doing some early research here.

And thank you for the Wall Street suggestion, I will look into that

I like Chinese culture, and want to experience something other than Wisconsin. Its a good enough reason for me haha.

If you guys have anymore suggestions of company's/schools to look at I would really appreciate it
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Wall Street China generally required two years' experience from potential teachers?

~Q
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. a legal z-visa generally requires 2 years work experience following graduation.

2. the chinese do not eat cheese.
chinatimes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
not many adult education opportunities there.

That seems like the key variable. In rural and smaller areas, you have less of a chance getting a school solely based on teaching adults.

Beijing and Shanghai would be ideal for what you want, but if you don't want that big of a city, then look to Guangdong.

Another way is to build up and take part-time jobs.
jlwild

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

says nothing on their website about two years experience...

but i could see how that could still be true..
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlwild wrote:
says nothing on their website about two years experience...

but i could see how that could still be true..

From what I can tell, Wall Street, which is an international school, generally makes a point of meticulously observing legalities for hiring (at least they do in Turkey and Indonesia), even when local competitors don't bother and the authorities don't enforce it. I suspect this is probably because something in American business law (they're based in Baltimore now) requires them to obey all local laws. If the Chinese z-visa law requires two years' experience, that would explain the requirement.

Currently there are two recruiters for WSI advertising on Dave's China Job Boards (use the keyword "adults"), and they're advertising directly through another website, which I'm not allowed to link to. On both the recruiters and the direct other website ads, the mention two years' experience required.

~Q
jlwild

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k....

well where do i go from here?... Confused
Mikeylikesit114

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlwild wrote:

I like Chinese culture, and want to experience something other than Wisconsin. Its a good enough reason for me haha.

If you truly are interested in Chinese culture, Taiwan might be a better option for you. The culture that is in China right now might not best be described as Chinese culture.
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jlwild - Apologies, I didnt consider your request with the detail it deserved before suggesting Wall Street. The two year thing might be an issue. Ive never worked for them, but I did apply to them a few years ago and was refused at that time and asked to re-apply because of the two year thing.

In my case, I had more than 2 years experience, but it WASNT post-graduation and that was what excluded my application at that time.

Where you need to go from here ... is direct to job adverts. The above was MY experience, but that doesnt mean you couldnt still apply and see what they or others have to say.
jlwild

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

If you truly are interested in Chinese culture, Taiwan might be a better option for you. The culture that is in China right now might not best be described as Chinese culture.[/quote]

Haha taiwan forums told me to come here. I am interested in going to China, regardless. And I am still up for other suggestions for places to check out...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: