Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On getting hired in Tainan
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jm21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was an assistant teacher for a year between university and law school...I liked working with smaller kids but middle schoolers would drive me freaking nuts.
ncaraway

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
jm21

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncaraway wrote:
If you are leaning toward Taiwan and teaching it might be worth your while to get certification in whatever state you're living in now. Being certified to teach in public schools will open more opportunities for you here. I considered it but I only plan to be working for another 10 years and it would probably take me that long to pay off the loans I'd need to get a masters degree. In other words, not worth my effort.

I can't speak to opportunities in mainland China or Australia. What I would recommend you do is to pop over to forumosa.com or taiwanease.com and see if you can connect with any lawyer folks about those kinds of opportunities in Taiwan. I know there are a number of lawyers at forumosa.com.

It's too expensive ot get certified in the states for me, but in AUS there's a 1 year post-grad diploma you can get that will allow you to get certified and not too expensive. The catch being that it restricts what kind of classes you can teach...e.g. can only teach primary school, can only teach special ed, etc...not sure how much that would get looked at abroad.

I could see teaching on the mainland for a while but I'm not sure I'd want to live there permanently...aside from there being age limits on the work visa the air quality is just too bad for me.
JZer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncaraway wrote:
If you are leaning toward Taiwan and teaching it might be worth your while to get certification in whatever state you're living in now. Being certified to teach in public schools will open more opportunities for you here. I considered it but I only plan to be working for another 10 years and it would probably take me that long to pay off the loans I'd need to get a masters degree. In other words, not worth my effort.

I can't speak to opportunities in mainland China or Australia. What I would recommend you do is to pop over to forumosa.com or taiwanease.com and see if you can connect with any lawyer folks about those kinds of opportunities in Taiwan. I know there are a number of lawyers at forumosa.com.

There was a law firm in Taipei that advertised for a licensed American lawyer for a long time.

However these jobs are few and far between.
ncaraway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncaraway wrote:
Chains
In an effort to get more hours I recently applied to several of the large national chains. I won't name them here but I will share my experiences, which are not positive.

* I had read on Forumosa that one of the major chains that caters to teaching adults doesn't advertise. It was recommended that you just walk in, resume in hand. And so I did. I was told there were currently no openings and that they only advertised online. I followed the website they mentioned but have yet to see any openings.

* I completed the online application for another major chain (this one caters mostly to children) and got a denial via email within 2 business days. They don't say exactly why I wasn't considered so I have to read between the lines. I'll take two guesses:

1) my age - I'm too old for them.
2) they're probably like most retail businesses in the US that prefer low paid staff with a high turnover to higher paid, experienced staff.

* I responded (via email) to an ad placed locally for a new branch of another major chain. I got a warm reply inviting me to come for an interview. When I showed up for the interview I was told that the HR person I had corresponded with had car trouble and couldn't make it. The staff gave me an application to complete (I had already provided my resume via email). Following the non-interview, I sent an email to the HR person telling her I hoped she was OK and offering to reschedule. I never got a reply.

This is probably why I would tell newbies to try another country unless they have a Taiwanese spouse. Even someone with a Taiwanese spouse should probably think twice before moving to Taiwan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: