Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1 in 5 university courses scrapped as tuition fees triple.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slapntickle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: 1 in 5 university courses scrapped as tuition fees triple. Reply with quote

Nearly one in five degree courses has been scrapped since the tripling of tuition fees to �9,000-a-year, it has been revealed. Universities are concentrating on popular subjects and dropping courses that have too few applicants or are too expensive to run.

Official figures show a cull of more than 2,600 in the number of courses available to applicants planning to start their degrees in 2013.

News of the closures come as UCAS figures published last week showed that the number of students in England applying for university places in 2013 has plunged by almost 10 per cent already. Numbers of EU and non-EU students applicants have also dropped. The scrapped courses range from archeology at Birmingham to languages at Salford and London Metropolitan.

Birmingham had announced six weeks ago that single honours archeology would no longer be offered because �it has proved unable to attract sufficient applicants of the appropriate quality�.

The number of courses listed by UCAS has fallen from 43,360 to 35,501 in two years. Sally Hunt, general secretary of the University and College Union, said: �The UK�s global academic reputation is built on the broad range of subjects.

�While government rhetoric is about students as consumers, the choices have narrowed.�

http://www.universitiesnews.com/2012/12/03/one-in-five-university-courses-scrapped-following-tripling-of-tuition-fees/

Oh well, it doesn't matter, these days we have a broad choice of Management, Management and of course the hugely popular Management.
reddevil79

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the tripling of tuition fees this was inevitable I think, the market will always decide. I hate that business and education are so inextricably linked in the UK now, but someone has to pay I guess for what is a costly service. Universities are now businesses and that is the new reality, but I think the state should carry more of the burden.

As a Salford languages graduate myself, I was worried there for a minute that the whole department had been scrapped, but it seems that they have only cut back on Italian, the other languages remain. I noticed too when back in the UK last year that the number of institutions offering a Masters in linguistics had been reduced, seems like a lot of humanities subjects will be the first to go.

Sigh� Rolling Eyes
slapntickle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddevil79 wrote:
" . . . seems like a lot of humanities subjects will be the first to go.

International league tables show only Oxford and Cambridge currently perform among the world�s elite in the provision of key academic subjects.
Many other institutions fail to even make it into the top 200 in a global ranking charting performance in philosophy, modern languages, linguistics, history, geography and English.
But researchers warned that Britain risked plunging further down the rankings � or axing the subjects altogether � under Coalition plans to overhaul university funding.
From 2012, all direct state funding to teach the arts and humanities will be cut, with universities allowed to plug the gap by charging between �6,000 and �9,000 in student fees.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/8552655/Spending-cuts-risk-damaging-universities-global-standing.html

How depressing it'll be to live in a world populated by managers and financiers who have nothing else to talk about except the movement of stocks and shares.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we already arrived at that world dominated by financiers and bankers !!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a solution to this, you know...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcXNXKtu8z4
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the version by the Choir of the YCL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: