Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Returning to Japan after quiting before contract's end

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarinn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Returning to Japan after quiting before contract's end Reply with quote

8 years ago I was working for the big 4 and a family member became sick. As they only had a short time left, I requested time off and was granted 2 weeks or nothing. I quit the job before my contract was up and left the country.

I'm now considering returning, but I'm wondering if the above situation (quiting before completion of my contract) will cause problems for me when trying to join a company or when securing a visa.

One of the options that I'm considering is just omitting the time working in Japan, however I'm sure of the visa papers they will ask this question so it's not an option. I guess I'd also prefer not to omit the information.

Do you think that this situation will be a problem for me securing a job? Is it possible to conceal this information from the company (obviously not from immigration)?
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't have the slightest effect at all. Put the dates down and simply say, if they even ask, that you left at the end of your contract to return home to an ill family member. No one will care about ~2 weeks at the end of a contract.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mention the conflict between you and the employer. Merely say you had to quit because of a family medical situation that required you to return home.

Done deal. None of your situation will affect getting a future visa.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you don't even need to mention that you quit, unless asked. Just put it down on your CV as part of your employment history, as time already spent in Japan should make you more employable.

You probably know that when it comes to getting a new visa, it's reliant on finding a company to sponsor you. What you do with that visa once you've got it is up to you. You could go back home the next day without telling anyone, then return six months later to look for a new job. As long as you have a company to sponsor your application next time round, it shouldn't matter.
Tarinn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses! I now have a better idea of how I'll approach things.

Though it wasn't ~2 weeks, it was almost half my contract.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: