Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are employers in China so awful?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
choudoufu



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 3325
Location: Mao-berry, PRC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lancy Bloom wrote:
As the bible says the weak shall inherit the earth. Just like the history of the Communist party and their overthrow of The Kouminftang 60 years ago.


that would be meek.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lowlander



Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 171
Location: The Oort Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capital T there, choudoufu, old chap.

Don't correct someone else, then immediately make a mistake yourself whilst doing so.

My face has gone really bright red for you right now, "English teacher". Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed


Last edited by the lowlander on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HumphreyOmega



Joined: 22 Aug 2009
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good thred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guerciotti



Joined: 13 Feb 2009
Posts: 671
Location: In a sleazy bar killing all the bad guys.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lowlander wrote:
Capital T there, choudoufu, old chap.

Don't correct someone else, then immediately make a mistake yourself whilst doing so.

My face has gone really bright red for you right now. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed


if you reed a few choudoufu posts youl'l probably notice that he seams to make many mistakes. Too damn many. Eye may be wrong, but I belief he does it on porpoise! read a few posts and you'll sea what eye mean. He often throws in a dash of slang. I admit I like it.
You might even say it's fun to see what kind of mistakes or slang he'll throw into his next insightful post. That's what I do.
Yes, there's probably something wrong with me.
So don't cry for the chou, he seems a merry man playing a prank on all.
Happy Chinese New Year!
Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lowlander



Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 171
Location: The Oort Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denim maniac wrote

Quote:
I've given 3 clear examples of people who have taken advantage of opportunities in China. I think I'll just bow out gracefully from this thread, and some of us will have to agree to disagree.


Meaning, you know you've mostly been throwing personal insults about in place of debate, haven't scored any points, except against yourself, so you've just given up.

Good.

Bye bye.


Last edited by the lowlander on Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lowlander



Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 171
Location: The Oort Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guerciotti

What amazing comedy genius. Embarassed Embarassed

Thank you for your contribution to this debate. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lowlander



Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 171
Location: The Oort Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HumphreyOmega

Quote:
good thred


Is that the real extent of what you have to offer to this debate?

Feeble.

It's not even worth the effort of typing that nonsense in. Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
doogsville



Joined: 17 Nov 2011
Posts: 700
Location: China

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowlander, this ceased to be any kind of debate a long time ago. You saw to that with your inability to accept any kind of opinion that disagrees with your own. Now your contributions have just become childish and inane. Emoticons do not take the place of rational debate. I too am 'bowing out', since it's obvious that you cannot or will not make any kind of sensible contribution. No doubt now you will make some senseless comment about me accompanied by little cartoon faces. Go ahead, it would rather prove my point. Goodbye.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat_chris



Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 3135

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doogsville wrote:
Lowlander, this ceased to be any kind of debate a long time ago. You saw to that with your inability to accept any kind of opinion that disagrees with your own. Now your contributions have just become childish and inane. Emoticons do not take the place of rational debate. I too am 'bowing out', since it's obvious that you cannot or will not make any kind of sensible contribution. No doubt now you will make some senseless comment about me accompanied by little cartoon faces. Go ahead, it would rather prove my point. Goodbye.


Seconded.

Such childish and asinine postings really are a disappointment and a disservice to the many posters here at Dave's. I, for one, only wish to contribute positive and useful information to the community in the future and not get sidetracked by rants. I'm glad to see that I am not alone in holding such sentiments.

Thanks to all who have provided useful information and support to the community here at Dave's. It is most appreciated.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wonderingjoesmith



Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Posts: 910
Location: Guangzhou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconded too. But agreeing with one fool while disagreeing with the other one makes me wonder what behind the usual "second" for the first fool is.


Guerciotti wrote:
the lowlander wrote:
Capital T there, choudoufu, old chap.

Don't correct someone else, then immediately make a mistake yourself whilst doing so.

My face has gone really bright red for you right now. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed


if you reed a few choudoufu posts youl'l probably notice that he seams to make many mistakes. Too damn many. Eye may be wrong, but I belief he does it on porpoise! read a few posts and you'll sea what eye mean. He often throws in a dash of slang. I admit I like it.
You might even say it's fun to see what kind of mistakes or slang he'll throw into his next insightful post. That's what I do.
Yes, there's probably something wrong with me.
So don't cry for the chou, he seems a merry man playing a prank on all.
Happy Chinese New Year!
Very Happy
Yes, MANY probably see the well timed sarcasm and blatant disregard that's SOMETIMES on purpose. For Americans, sarcasm is a very common communication tool and I also admit it adds a spice to our lives; however, some that lack in certain areas may sometimes attempt to cover up their shortcomings by overusing the spices life has to offer. "Pranks" may be just a step away from insults or unwanted deviations. So, one may be "damn" good at dissing others although really "damn" bad at considering their views.

The debate is about AWFUL EMPLOYERS IN CHINA that abuse their employees, employee agreements, and that notoriously ignore laws/regulations. It's about how authorities and their system work in the country.

Quote:
doogsville;
this ceased to be any kind of debate a long time ago
A few healthy brains should be able to bring it back on track.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat_chris



Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 3135

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderingjoesmith wrote:
A few healthy brains should be able to bring it back on track.


Hear, hear!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lowlander



Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 171
Location: The Oort Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right boys and girls,

Because members of a particular clique on here don't agree with me, and couldn't bully me into silence, they now adopt the tactic of claiming that the debate has become futile.....because I don't/won't agree with them.

No mention of any of them perhaps agreeing with me.

So now they won't talk any more.

I think that anyone who reads the China boards will see that they are populated by a regular group of posters who promote a largely Utopian view of China and a largely Distopian view of the West.

I think it's also fairly obvious for all to see, that this particular group don't like to be disagreed with, and will quickly attack with tooth and nail, insults flying, anyone who shakes their pro-China/anti-Western tree.

However, they are equally quick to run off, shouting further insults etc, when they are outclassed in an open debate.

Posters such as fat_chris have just called me "asinine and childish", whilst others such as wonderingjoesmith have accused me of being a "fool", and doogsville has said "I'm childish and inane".

And there are plenty more personal insults from others too

Why?

Because I have one view and they have another.

It's sad that there can't be a reasoned debate on the China boards, without a particular, regular clique, trying to voice others who disagree with them into silence via sustained personal abuse.


Last edited by the lowlander on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
B4UGO



Joined: 19 Nov 2012
Posts: 24
Location: China/Korea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Cheating in China = Saving Money! Reply with quote

wonderingjoesmith wrote:
Javelin of Radiance wrote:
Lack wrote:
Well, I haven't actually been to China yet, but I have been searching for Chinese teaching jobs on here and other sites for 2-3 hours a day for the past couple of weeks. I look up every single job posting that looks good...and promptly find out that it has a slew of horrible reviews, and warnings of "NEVER, EVER WORK FOR THIS SCHOOL/USE THIS RECRUITER."

I think I hit a low point yesterday when I researched a job posting and found a story on google about how 2 foreign teachers died under "mysterious circumstances." Gee.

So I don't even know what to do. There are tons of other countries out there but I have been focused on China because of its huge job market and low barriers to entry.

This isn't to say that I don't find plenty of bad reviews for other schools/countries, but China seems to always be the most severe.

The title of this thread would have you believe that too. China seems the most severe to you because by your own admission you're focusing on China. Another reason China has more bad reviews is because China has more schools. The country is huge and the ESL industry here is huge. A lot of bad reviews are the result of Chinese employers hiring a lot of bad teachers. They hire the unqualified, alcoholics, drug addicts, and in general losers in life. the school can be blamed for hiring these people but that doesn't absolve the teacher for their shortcomings.....
Speaking of "shortcomings", are the Chinese employers qualified, abstinent and accustomed to doing business without friendships?


Dirt Guy and myself are lucky. We both found decent employers, but about half of the schools in China (mostly the private Chinese-owned companies) will screw over their own teachers to "save money" which is a genuine virtue in the Chinese culture. We see it as cheating and abuse but they just see it as "saving money"

Before I found my current job, my last employer was screwing me over every way possible - unpaid overtime, stealing my lesson plans, etc. I thing this articles sums it up pretty well... http://open.salon.com/blog/china_business_central/2012/12/14/china_foreign_teachers_exploited_and_abused_by_scams
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ecubyrd



Joined: 09 May 2009
Posts: 160

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
Seconded.

Such childish and asinine postings really are a disappointment and a disservice to the many posters here at Dave's. I, for one, only wish to contribute positive and useful information to the community in the future and not get sidetracked by rants. I'm glad to see that I am not alone in holding such sentiments.

Thanks to all who have provided useful information and support to the community here at Dave's. It is most appreciated.

Warm regards,
fat_chris


Hopefully you will follow through with this and stop posting so many 1-2 word or one line comments, which basically add nothing to threads, followed by warm regards from fat_chris in the future. Oh, wait I see you have already done so again in this thread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fat_chris



Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 3135

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecubyrd wrote:
Hopefully you will follow through with this and stop posting so many 1-2 word or one line comments, which basically add nothing to threads, followed by warm regards from fat_chris in the future. Oh, wait I see you have already done so again in this thread.


[in my best Travis Bickle impersonation] Are you talkin' to me?

There's nothing wrong with a few quick words/lines showing agreement with others' messages. That in itself is something.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC