Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are employers in China so awful?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
ecubyrd wrote:
Hopefully you will follow through with this and stop posting so many 1-2 word or one line comments, which basically add nothing to threads, followed by warm regards from fat_chris in the future. Oh, wait I see you have already done so again in this thread.

[in my best Travis Bickle impersonation] Are you talkin' to me?

Warm regards,
fat_chris

That is a good movie, but your attempt at wit eludes me.

Warm regards,
not fat_ecubyrd
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecubyrd wrote:
fat_chris wrote:
ecubyrd wrote:
Hopefully you will follow through with this and stop posting so many 1-2 word or one line comments, which basically add nothing to threads, followed by warm regards from fat_chris in the future. Oh, wait I see you have already done so again in this thread.

Warm regards,
fat_chris

Warm regards,
not fat_ecubyrd

And what is it that this post adds to this thread? Nothing as far as I can tell.

At least fatchris isn't combative and obnoxious unlike some others on this forum, and in all his posts he seems to keep a bit of humor and doesn't take offense at every perceived slight.
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javelin of Radiance wrote:
ecubyrd wrote:
fat_chris wrote:
ecubyrd wrote:

Warm regards,
fat_chris

Warm regards,
not fat_ecubyrd

And a post like this is helpful in what way?

At least fatchris isn't combative and obnoxious unlike some others on this forum, and in all his posts he seems to keep a bit of humor and doesn't take offense at every perceived slight.

I agree with that about FC. I also agree that a lot of posters on this forum take things too seriously. I do also agree with lowlander in that this place seems to have a bunch of dudes that follow eachother in posts (socks maybe?)
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed this. That is a good summary of my approach to the boards and my "on-line persona".

I am not going to play the "know-it-all role" so I add quasi-informed quips and "add something to the threads" when I can.

As Javelin of Radiance mentioned, being thick-skinned on Dave's is the way to go.

Warm regards,
fat_chris

Last edited by fat_chris on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecubyrd,

Apologies for ruffling any feathers.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
ecubyrd,

Warm regards,
fat_chris

No worries here, man. It's all good. Keep doing what you do.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to touch on the last several points that have been mentioned on pages 9 and 10 here:

I agree, I do think The Lowlander has made some good points that are indeed worth mentioning and actually do need to be mentioned to anyone coming to China on their own or with a recruiter. I think he started out well with his postings on page 2.

However, by page 4, his responses became more and more "off-putting". I understand that that may be his style, but it does need to be recognized that that style doesn't always work well in "the reasoned debate" that he mentioned in his post on page 9.

For instance, "bring it on" (page 6) isn't really the way to sign a message if one wants to continue to promote a "reasoned debate". Such taglines generally steer the conversation away from a reasoned debate.

Referring to a poster as "asinine and childish" and referring to one's postings as "asinine and childish" are not the same. Semantics? Maybe, but it wasn't my intention to label a poster as such, hence, I labelled the words of one poster and not the poster himself as such. There is a difference there.

I am willing to step back and extend an olive branch and then partake in a reasoned debate on this topic if others agree to do so.

Warm regards,
fat_chris

Last edited by fat_chris on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:43 pm; edited 6 times in total
fat_chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecubyrd wrote:
fat_chris wrote:
ecubyrd,

Warm regards,
fat_chris

No worries here, man. It's all good. Keep doing what you do.

Indeed, I shall. Thanks for the words.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Cheating in China = Saving Money! Reply with quote

B4UGO wrote:
wonderingjoesmith wrote:
Lack wrote:
Well, I haven't actually been to China yet, but I have been searching for Chinese teaching jobs on here and other sites for 2-3 hours a day for the past couple of weeks. I look up every single job posting that looks good...and promptly find out that it has a slew of horrible reviews, and warnings of "NEVER, EVER WORK FOR THIS SCHOOL/USE THIS RECRUITER."

I think I hit a low point yesterday when I researched a job posting and found a story on google about how 2 foreign teachers died under "mysterious circumstances." Gee.

So I don't even know what to do. There are tons of other countries out there but I have been focused on China because of its huge job market and low barriers to entry.

This isn't to say that I don't find plenty of bad reviews for other schools/countries, but China seems to always be the most severe.

The title of this thread would have you believe that too. China seems the most severe to you because by your own admission you're focusing on China. Another reason China has more bad reviews is because China has more schools. The country is huge and the ESL industry here is huge. A lot of bad reviews are the result of Chinese employers hiring a lot of bad teachers. They hire the unqualified, alcoholics, drug addicts, and in general losers in life. the school can be blamed for hiring these people but that doesn't absolve the teacher for their shortcomings.....
Speaking of "shortcomings", are the Chinese employers qualified, abstinent and accustomed to doing business without friendships?

Dirt Guy and myself are lucky. We both found decent employers, but about half of the schools in China (mostly the private Chinese-owned companies) will screw over their own teachers to "save money" which is a genuine virtue in the Chinese culture. We see it as cheating and abuse but they just see it as "saving money"

Before I found my current job, my last employer was screwing me over every way possible - unpaid overtime, stealing my lesson plans, etc. I thing this articles sums it up pretty well... http://open.salon.com/blog/china_business_central/2012/12/14/china_foreign_teachers_exploited_and_abused_by_scams
I agree that private companies/schools may be more demanding, but I doubt foreign teachers in government/public schools get paid better than in private companies/schools and that the "screwing" over stealing lesson plans doesn't happen everywhere. Like I've suggested, local employers need clues, booze and friendships to go about their business. And, I guess some old timers on need night vision goggles to see through their thick air here.
Burke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: In a word... Reply with quote

Its called "GREED"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: