Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two continuous years of documented employment evidence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elegantstatue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Two continuous years of documented employment evidence Reply with quote

Has anybody heard of this before? I was interviewed for a job in China recently, and was told on the outset of the interview, it is a new requirement of proof of documented evidence of teaching experience. Meaning, the school in question needs formal veracity through a document that I have 'two continuous years teaching experience'. That is impossible with the status of the job market in Australia, all the work in teaching is precarious. And the good jobs in Asia are difficult to secure, unless one catches a plane to Hong Kong, and finds a job immediately. However the only people I have known to fly abroad without a job are rich kids.

I was informed that is the status quo with government context teaching jobs. Is this matter true? That is so frustrating, after 18 months of undertaking a formal teaching qualification, and eight years later, it is still difficult finding a decent job any where. Yes I know of the EDB job scheme in Hong Kong, please don't hammer the message.
Shanghai Noon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try applying in Shanghai. As of one year ago, two years of experience wasn't required.
hdeth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had something like that mentioned. This is my third time applying for a job in China and the first time anyone checked my references even.
happeningthang

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a new requirement - but in my city at least - if you have an education degree and/or teaching licence you're exempt from this.
kevincollege

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

happeningthang wrote:
It is a new requirement - but in my city at least - if you have an education degree and/or teaching licence you're exempt from this.

master degree or tesl will exempt this.
hdeth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New employer just popped the requirement on me (small city in Guangdong), so I stand corrected, though they seem unsure of exactly what documentation is needed. Do they understand what a royal PITA that is going to be? I might have to get a reference letter from a uni in Qingdao that probably doesn't even remember me...might not have the same people working there...sigh...thank you Chinese government.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, as I have read from the immigration lawyers, this particular requirement is not coming from Beijing. It seems to be a wave that originated about the same time as the 2013-2014 national changes.

It is obvious then that what will satisfy this requirement from jurisdiction to jurisdiction will vary considerably. Even more so than the varying local interpretations of the recently imposed requirements from the center.

Considering the realities of the supply-demand fundamentals of the expat labor market, the entire thing does seem counterproductive and an unnecessary pain in the butt as stated above.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't a Z visa and two renewed residence permits in your passport suffice?

Why not two years of tax receipts?
hdeth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhBudPowellWhereArtThou wrote:
Won't a Z visa and two renewed residence permits in your passport suffice?

Why not two years of tax receipts?

Nope. Asked about that.
fchris171

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Beijing and met a guy recently who was asked by a school to provide notarized proof of 2 years experience. Not sure if that was just the school being strict or if it's a new policy for new teachers.

It makes me laugh when the gov does try to lift the standards of teaching here. I've only been here 2.5 years but going by 99% of the 'teachers' I have met, stricter requirements simply means more completely unqualified non-native teachers working illegally.

If you are a private school and you can't get a work visa for the native English speaking guy with just an on-line TEFL and a bit of experience, then you might as well just hire the cheaper eastern European or Russian guy with no credentials who happens to look like the native guy and give get him a business visa.

I'm sure making it more attractive to work here by helping teachers get a job without getting scammed, cleaning up the air and paying a bit more would raise standards a hell of a lot more than restricting an already sparse workforce.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fchris171 wrote:
I live in Beijing and met a guy recently who was asked by a school to provide notarized proof of 2 years experience. Not sure if that was just the school being strict or if it's a new policy for new teachers.

It makes me laugh when the gov does try to lift the standards of teaching here. I've only been here 2.5 years but going by 99% of the 'teachers' I have met, stricter requirements simply means more completely unqualified non-native teachers working illegally.

If you are a private school and you can't get a work visa for the native English speaking guy with just an on-line TEFL and a bit of experience, then you might as well just hire the cheaper eastern European or Russian guy with no credentials who happens to look like the native guy and give get him a business visa.

I'm sure making it more attractive to work here by helping teachers get a job without getting scammed, cleaning up the air and paying a bit more would raise standards a hell of a lot more than restricting an already sparse workforce.

This response is pure perfection on many levels. None of which remotely coincide with PRC thinking on any level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: