Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moscow winter coat shopping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuckSeason

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Moscow winter coat shopping Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm sure this topic has been covered -- however I didn't see how to search.

Good suggestions for where to buy a winter coat in Moscow? Some kind of men's coat, long, wool-ish, fur lining, warm enough for January/February, etc.

I went to the market at Konkovo metro station & they had a good selection, however my Russian is quite elementary so I wasn't sure what they were saying. It looked like I could get something in the 20,000 - 30,000 ruble range
Nexus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy prices.

I bought a ski jacket a couple of years ago for about 9000 Rub. I use it for mountain skiing and also about town in the winter. It's plenty warm enough.

If you want something "technical", there's a great place near to Rechnoi Vokzal called Extreme. A special marshrutka shuttles back and forth from the metro. It's an indoor shopping centre, 3 or 4 floors full of mountaineering, skiing stuff (North Face, Marmot etc) with heaps of coats.

Not sure exactly of the prices for the big, heavy sheepskin coats but they shouldn't be paying the prices you mentioned.
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30,000 rubles?! That's a thousand dollars! Get outta here.

I've been coat shopping at Konkovo several times and bought very good quality long length women's winter coats for about $200. Still have them years later, beautiful coats.

Did you go to the rynok or the shopping center across the street?

I think the problem for you is that you don't speak Russian. Russians will rip off foreigners till there is no tomorrow.

Do you have a Russian speaking friend you can take shopping with you? That should bring the price down considerably.

I stand by Konkovo as having the hugest selection of coats in Moscow.
DuckSeason

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Admittedly not cheap. I went to the large rynok (I guess?) and the smaller building across the street

They appeared to be fairly nice coats, so understandably more than a typical parka, for example

if i find a russian guide, i will definitely bring him/her along
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Knokovo rynok is actually two big warehouse looking buildings and some smaller additions on the property. The Metro exits right up to the rynok.

On the other side of the street if you exited the metro the other way, is more of a yarmarka, shopping mall-ish place. Plenty of coats there too, but the rynok is way better.

Konkovo is a very good quality rynok, lots of European imported goods there--not the dirt cheap Azeri type rynok. But still you should be able to find a durable and fashionable winter coat for $200 to $300. Nowhere near a thousand dollars, that's just crazy unless it's fur.

Do you speak Russian at all? You know how to say 'skolko stoyet' right? And understand the answer?

Because if your Russian isn't even that good, you are in a muddle indeed.
DuckSeason

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they were fur, actually (fur lined)
wool on the outside

probably paying a bit too much, moscow's expensive to begin with
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I assume that "GUM" was swept away in the counter-revolution ?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GUM was still around in 2007; I've still got the winter coat (and the work blazer) that I bought there. And a photo of the schnauzer enjoying the posh venue as well.
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ГУМ is still very fashionably in business. Beautiful place, ridiculously expensive.

Bought out by some German investors about 5 years ago, I believe. The first thing they did was close the dismal soviet toilets in the basement and construct proper (and free!) bathrooms on the 3rd floor.

Russia meets the 21st century head on.
njs7t3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody want to come coat shopping with me next weekend?
DuckSeason

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm i'm pretty selective about this kind of thing
getting a new coat is serious

will there be black limousines, guys who look like hitmen.... dark dealings in russian?
njs7t3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I gather, it wouldn't be Moscow without those things. Cool
corniche

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Russian bought my almost new Tommy Hilfiger down-filled parka for 100 cad. She said she had never seen anything like it, that in Irkutsk the coats were so different, fur and pearls Shocked

My problem was not so much the coat, but the boots...nothing could keep my feet dry and warm going through the cold and snow and then the slush.
kazachka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clothing is insanely expensive here. I get most all of my gear in the US or in Europe at the sales. If you are not heading back to your home country anytime soon, I would check into ordering something online. It can take 2-4 weeks to get stuff from the US and even the UK which sucks. See if REI ships to Russia. My landlord uses ebay if he needs something. If you need athletic gear
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/
Is pretty popular and orders over 5k rub are shipped FREE!

Case in point- I'm ok coat wise, but needed new,toasty boots. I picked up a nice new pair of Sorels in the US in October for just over 100$. Same Sorels go for 300-500$ here. You will find the same markups at Timberland as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kazachka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corniche wrote:
A Russian bought my almost new Tommy Hilfiger down-filled parka for 100 cad. She said she had never seen anything like it, that in Irkutsk the coats were so different, fur and pearls Shocked

My problem was not so much the coat, but the boots...nothing could keep my feet dry and warm going through the cold and snow and then the slush.

Sorels- they have a model called the Caribou you can get the one rated to -40 or -100F. I had the -100 model when I lived in Fairbanks,Alaska because we did get into the -50s. They had a very thick extra sock liner inside. I alternated between them and my mukluks but mukluks are only for dry cold-no wet slush. There are also bunny boots but they are butt ugly. Guys who work on the oil rigs on the North Slope go with Sorels and or bunny boots. Boots like those would stand up to the -40s or so they get in Irkutsk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: