Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do I even start?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M1K1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Where do I even start? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've finally reached a point that I can take some time out of life and do something that I've always wanted to do. I am interested in teaching English overseas! I wanted to ask some advice. I'm brand new to these forums, so I hope I'm posting in the right place.

First, a little about me:

1. Have a BS with majors in Finance and Economics and a minor in Computer Information Systems - no Teaching Certificate at all
2. Have background in both Securities and in Software Development
3. Am a 41 y/o male
4. I've traveled, while in the Army, to S. Korea and Thailand, and also lived in Panama when I was very young
5. I'm not sure where I want to go, but I do have some criteria - more about that in a bit

Hrmm, ok. I have some questions that I hope someone can help me with:

1. What is the best way to get a Teaching Certificate? Will anyone pay for it?
2. I'm more interested in teaching Business English, is that a separate certificate?
3. I'm considering this possibly for a long term endeavor, so I would be most interested in an assignment that will help me grow as a new teacher. Are any assignments better than others?
4. What are the best companies to approach? I've been over countless websites from numerous companies, but not sure how to rate them. Any suggestions?

That's all I can think of right now. I'm at work, so gonna' log off, but I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Thank you in advance for any insight you may offer.

Mike
creeper1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike you are taking this way too seriously. Our jobs abroad are mainly to sing, dance and clown around.

Get your documents and get on a plane to Korea ( a good place to start since no experience is necessary), invest in a clown outfit or Mickey Mouse ears and, hey presto, you'll be a TEFL sensation. Laughing
creeper1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'll try to answer the questions using my (limited knowledge) of the TEFL world.

1. Most people go for online certificates. I know that some employers will pay for it. Here in China I know some workmates that were reimbursed by EF (a big TEFL employer) when they arrived. With GEPIK in Korea you must get a TEFL certificate but it pays for itself given that pay is higher in Korea anyway.

2. No. I haven't heard of any certificate that specializes in business English. I did a module in business English as part of my TEFL cert but it was quite weak and I don't think it really prepared me to teach that. Most TEFLers just do a CELTA and then get experience.

3. Perhaps. Some of the employers abroad want more entertainers than teachers. I guess a serious teacher would look at teaching adults. However even with kids just by getting experience you will become a better teacher.

4. For Korea, take a look at GEPIK and EPIK. For China take a look at Wall Street English and New Oriental.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're serious, get a master's degree minimum, and a CELTA. Ask your military advisors about whether they will pay for anything. GI Bill?

Assignments don't help people to "grow" as much as what you put into them and how much training you get, IMO. Expect to start out anywhere on the bottom rung of the ladder. The School of Hard Knocks has plenty of openings. If you want to develop, get the proper training/degree, and learn what it takes depending on the country you pursue.

Forget "companies". Focus on what countries appeal to you the most right now, then head to their respective forums and ask. You have a lot of researching ahead of you before you take the plunge.

Waiting for your "criteria"...
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you're serious, get a master's degree minimum, and a CELTA. Ask your military advisors about whether they will pay for anything. GI Bill?

Quote:
Most people go for online certificates. I know that some employers will pay for it.

Quote:
Our jobs abroad are mainly to sing, dance and clown around

OP, you'll want to narrow your questions somewhat based on geographical regions. The responses you have received so far are entirely Asia-based.

Eg: online certs are not accepted in many parts of the world. Teachers in many regions are NOT expected to sing and dance in class (never mind the mickey mouse ears). And it's entirely feasible and even recommended to get a few years of teaching behind you before investing in an MA, in almost every case. Shocked Confused
thatsforsure

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, if I were you, I would do something else other than teaching. You can make good money in teaching, but you sure will work for it, both in terms of getting the job and in terms of doing the job. There are more direct paths to overseas riches. I'd say use some of what you already know and find a related job. Or start an online company and run it from abroad. If you must teach, get a proper K-12 certification through one of the alternative licensure programs. The master's in TESOL is lucrative in the Middle East, Hong Kong and Korea. Maybe Japan if you can speak Japanese and publish. Anywhere else, it won't help much or won't result in much higher pay, so it's hardly worth the time/effort/money. K-12 cert is golden anywhere, though.
coledavis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the suggestion about online certificates was a crazy one. Generally, they're worthless.

Most people spend a year doing general English and then move into business English. In your case, you could move directly into business English. Personally, I would still do the CELTA first, so that you have a good basic grasp of how to teach English and have a recognised qualification (the Trinity certificate is another). Then, if you go to a country requiring a visa, try to get a job which involves relatively few hours, as that way, when you've gained some confidence and know your way around, you can then start to pick up jobs on the side with companies where you can earn serious money.
creeper1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coledavis wrote:
Yes, the suggestion about online certificates was a crazy one. Generally, they're worthless.

Worthless? IN your limitied experience that is.

They are a prerequisite for getting a job with GEPIK in Korea and a prerequisite for getting a z-visa in popular provinces in China. Wink
coledavis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, people who have taken proper courses are still only partly prepared for doing a decent job of real teaching. Those who have taken online courses or weekend courses are generally pitiful performers.

I accept the possibility of most people you know going in for online certificates. But I think that the employers of your acquaintances are offering conveyor belt low level jobs, where even the skills that you develop are probably not generalisable to real teaching jobs. Sure, the perceived need for native speakers in some countries means that they will take any qualifications whatsoever. Ok, go to it.
Kofola

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As is evident from the posts above, things vary a lot from country to country. So, this is from my central European perspective.

Firstly, if you want to teach adults then you definitely need a certificate (probably CELTA or Trinity etc.)

Secondly, if you want to go into Business English, then there are certificates on this as well, but you should do the TEFL cert first (and then do some teaching).

Thirdl�, Business English is much more difficult to teach than general English at the beginning. This is because it is much more needs oriented and a lot of the materials are difficult to use. IMO it is therefore better to get a solid grounding in teaching, lesson planning and especially materials writing before moving on to business. You may find schools that offer generic business English courses using a text book, but the vast bulk (in Slovakia at least) is teaching in company. Teachers often have to adapt existing materials or write their own. Plus the clients are generally much more demanding than the general public. Just to give you an example, I am currently teaching at a construction company and tomorrow's lesson is on climbing formwork - there are no TEFL books on climbing formwork Shocked

Fourthly, your background gives you potential in this area (in Central and Eastern Europe at least). I haven't done any IT teaching, but there must be demand in areas where this is a major industry. Finance is common - I've taught many a CFO.

But Glenski's advice is probably the best place to start - choose a region/country and start working out what you want to do from there.

Hope it helps!
coledavis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm more interested in teaching Business English, is that a separate certificate?
I'm considering this possibly for a long term endeavor, so I would be most interested in an assignment that will help me grow as a new teacher. Are any assignments better than others? "

For these requirements, Kofola's advice is very valuable. (When I taught business English in Poland, I had to adapt my knowledge of general English teaching to trailer components and logistics.)

coledavis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Teaching Certificate? Will anyone pay for it?"
Usually not. The only cases I've come across, in the UK, have been courses where the time and place have generally not been convenient for the job applicant. So if you are not earning, you are probably losing money by waiting for it. And as I say, funding for this is rare.
M1K1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all for your responses. I greatly appreciate it.

I'm a good 4mos out from being able to do this. In the mean time, I'm still researching. Found out that I should do these things first:

1. get immunizations - this can take months apparently
2. need to renew my passport
3. Find some certificate classes somewhere in the South East (USA)
4. found someone who taught English in Japan for a year, hoping to talk with them soon (next week?)

From what I've read so far, it looks like I need to teach regular English before teaching "Business" English. Well, that makes sense.

Also, here are some more criteria:

1. Readily available and quality health care is a must. Would prefer this to be set up by an employer
2. would prefer the travel / flight costs to be paid for or reimbursed (even if partially). It's not just the money, but I'm nervous about spending money just to get somewhere and the job is not for real
3. would like some certification, or something that would show that after a year, I've made progress as an Instructor
4. would prefer the living arrangements made by employer
5. would prefer the tax situation to be easy to deal with. I don't know how taxes will work, both in country and back in the states.

hrmm, ok, that's all the criteria (read: wish list) I can think of now.

again, I'm still researching, and I really appreciate all your responses.

Mike
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, here are some more criteria:

1. Readily available and quality health care is a must. Would prefer this to be set up by an employer
2. would prefer the travel / flight costs to be paid for or reimbursed (even if partially). It's not just the money, but I'm nervous about spending money just to get somewhere and the job is not for real
3. would like some certification, or something that would show that after a year, I've made progress as an Instructor
4. would prefer the living arrangements made by employer
5. would prefer the tax situation to be easy to deal with. I don't know how taxes will work, both in country and back in the states

1. If you have obvious medical needs, this may limit your possibilities. Overseas employers are not under US-style rules regarding not asking about pre-existing conditions. They can ask, and they can weed one out on this basis.
2. Asia only; in many parts of the world, employers will not hire anyone who is not available for a face-to-face interview. Scratch all of Europe except perhaps Russia (visit Russia board below for more info on this option).
3. Normally your personal responsibility; certification is usually obtained prior to getting a job. Experience in one region may well not translate to other regions; the job is significantly different in different geographical regions.
4. Asia again
5. For US taxes, you must file, but no need to pay unless you've made more than the equivalent of 90.000 USD in the calendar year (unlikely as an EFL instructor). Local taxes will usually be dealt with by employer.

Overall, if you're expecting a job offer before leaving the US, you are looking exclusively at Asia, particularly considering that you've got no relevant qualifications as of now.
M1K1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrmm, it seems as though all things point to Asia for starting out. I'll keep an open mind though.

The only medical issues I have is that I get kidney stones frequently. They are very painfull, and usually a trip to the ER. I guess that makes another criteria:

1. need a place where I can drink the tap water Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: