Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Negative things about Vietnam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb400 wrote:

Rude Locals. The Hanoians are the rudest people in Asia bar non. The Southern folk are generally better but the recent rush to urbanize has forced alot of people into cities creating an aggressive atmosphere.

Sadly, that has been my experience as well. I've been to a lot of places and, as a group, I'd say the Hanoians are some of the rudest people I've ever met. I quite like the Saigonese though. On the second day of living in Saigon, I got lost while driving and had to pull over to look at a map. Within two minutes I had three Vietnamese stop and ask if I needed any help. Couldn't imagine that happening in Hanoi.

kurtz wrote:

Don't do it. I occasionally drift by this forum for a bit of a laugh, but perish the thought of returning, to Hanoi at least . Might be something about the terrible weather, aggressive vendors, traffic, purile students, dishonest landlords and the expat community at large who seem to have a narcissistic personality disorder. People who keep coming back as they are unemployable elsewhere, all for less than $1800 a month.

Keep Vietnam as a memory or vacation destination; move on as the world is a big place.

If that's how you honestly felt, then, definitely, it was time to move on. Good luck to you kurtz and wish you all the best with your next teaching posting.
kurtz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sarge. Kind of miss our little debates, but I've turned into a lurker instead of a protagonist. Things are great at the moment, but it's hard not to miss some things about Vietnam.

All the best to you, too.

BTW I think most of the people in Hanoi are from the provinces and aren't perhaps true Hanoins, but I'll leave that for others to fight over.
cb400

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Might be something about the terrible weather, aggressive vendors, traffic, purile students, dishonest landlords and the expat community at large who seem to have a narcissistic personality disorder.

Best summary of Hanoi I have ever read. I agree most people are from provinces, but I think they were the nice ones Surprised

I use to bike around the the outskirts of Hanoi often, I was blown away how 10 minutes on a motorbike and the locals were completely different...smiling and generally warm. Driving back into Hanoi we would notice an invisible line of *beep*-ness... you could feel the difference in aggressiveness entering the city limits.

heheh reading the thread title again... can we consider Hanoi a negative thing about Vietnam Smile
VietCanada

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are the same everywhere. I think the good and bad manifest itself differently in different cultures. I could be just as comfortable responding to this thread if it were about my home town.

Traffic is bad.
People use knives rather than guns as in my home country.
People can be rude but then some people are aggressively rude. They go out of their way to be rude or insulting.

People go out of their way to be helpful or polite too but this is a thread about negatives.

I think my experience here differs from my home city because I am a visible minority. I cannot be anonymous. I cannot be anything but an object to be reacted to.

I am part of the problem, I am part of an ideal of the future. I am dichotomy, controversy, debate, evidence, spectacle, suspicion and even satisfaction.

There are some definite whack job expats in this business. There are a lot of very intelligent and witty expats too. Sometimes I meet one group more than the other. At the moment I know more genuinely decent fellow expats so I'm good. I think I've met many more of the friendly, intelligent, witty types over 10+ years in two countries but I've met more angry and private types here than the land of Kimchi.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traffic is just horrendous in Hanoi. I recently visited the city again for the first time after moving father south, and I had truly forgotten what it's like. I constantly felt like I was trapped because going out and dealing with traffic was just a turn off.

The Central region has ruined me. I doubt I'd be happy anywhere else in Vietnam.
skarper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here.

I still advise people to try HCMC/Hanoi first and move here later. Not only will it be a change for the better but you will be better able to deal with the employment situation - jobs are scarce.

Ideally you'd just rent a nice house by the beach and live on your savings/pension...of course there'd be better places to do that unless you have a reason to pick Vietnam (marriage say).
cb400

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Central region has ruined me. I doubt I'd be happy anywhere else in Vietnam.

Could I ask you about this? I thought the center of VN was great... Hanoi and the north suffer from shit weather and cold people and Saigon just seems saturated and now the large increases in crime, traffic and pollution don't exactly spell out an ideal place (for me anyway).

What's the center like compared to HN and HCMC?
skarper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vietnam's best kept secret - and we try to keep it that way!

Negatives are that it is harder to get some things here - about once a year I wish I was in Hanoi/HCMC so I could buy 'X'. It can be boring with little to do after you've done the few obvious things. And there is very limited options for working which also means pay can be low. It's not rare to meet people who have come here on the promise of full time hours only to get stuck with 10 hours a week and there is too much competition for top up work. It's a drag you have to go to Hanoi/HCMC to deal with a lot of paperwork but they are seldom needed things - like marriage stuff.

Positives - Nice beaches, better weather, reasonable people. Lower prices for a lot of things like rent. Not bad traffic except at the very worst times of day.

I like it here a lot but do not recommend it to newbies. Better to find your feet in Hanoi/HCMC where the pickings are easier then relocate here after 6 months or so.

It's also changed a lot in the last 5 years and there are big plans for numerous luxury hotels, high rise blocks of flats and other BS. It may not be so nice in 5 more years.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skarper wrote:

It's also changed a lot in the last 5 years and there are big plans for numerous luxury hotels, high rise blocks of flats and other BS. It may not be so nice in 5 more years.

I've also thought the same, but I think as the city expands you can just move farther away from the center. Farther south past Metro there's tons of open space, and that part of the city is starting to grow... could still be nice living down there 5 years down the road. Who knows though.
montblanc20

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Negatives:

Seeing ugliness so often:

Men peeing in the open everywhere. Seeing trash everywhere. Seeing environmental destruction like hillsides being dug out.

Being afraid of accidents. There are people limping around with one leg smaller than the other. And people missing limbs.

Development. Development is necessary so people won't be so poor. However, I hope that everything isn't replaced by ugly high rise apartments like Korea. So far, that's not happening where I am. But I've seen plans that would basically get rid of the shack houses in one area and replace them with high rises. The government can be bought off by developers easily and then the little guy loses their (all land belongs to the state) land. Where I am will be the French Riviera of Vietnam someday.

Positives:

I'm happy where I am in the South Central. No crazy weather (typhoons) where I am. Not too hot. I can be by the water everyday. I can hike up a small mountain not too far away. I can ride to a minority village 70 minutes away and chill by the river.

The only thing that I miss is climbing. And making more money. I could go to Hanoi for that. Sometimes I think about long-term and starting a climbing gym like some young-ish guys did in Hanoi and HCMC. But I also liked where I lived in the USA, so it would be hard to stay.
torentosan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: fights? Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
I really like how so many VN men are cowards, pure and simple. They will provoke a fight, but as soon as they realize they are about to get beat down they either call on their buddies for help (they like that 10-1 mentality) or they pull a knife... Shocked

Not sure what to make of this. Are VN men always starting fights with foreigners or are you starting fights with them?
cb400

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: fights? Reply with quote

torentosan wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
I really like how so many VN men are cowards, pure and simple. They will provoke a fight, but as soon as they realize they are about to get beat down they either call on their buddies for help (they like that 10-1 mentality) or they pull a knife... Shocked

Not sure what to make of this. Are VN men always starting fights with foreigners or are you starting fights with them?

Depends on how you measure 'starting fights' but yes many Vietnamese men like to throw out disgusting comments towards VN women with foreign men. There was recently a big fight in Al frescos when a VN man told a VN women who was with a foreigner 'you should be with VN man because forenger are dirty' in front of her foreign husband.

This of course led to an altercation.... but who started it?

This is just one of 100's examples that I know of including things that happened to me.

VN men are so jealous and insecure they cannot hold it in most of the time and act pretty surprised when getting punch in the face after calling our girlfriends/wives whores.
torentosan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: fights? Reply with quote

cb400 wrote:
torentosan wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

Depends on how you measure 'starting fights' but yes many Vietnamese men like to throw out disgusting comments towards VN women with foreign men. There was recently a big fight in Al frescos when a VN man told a VN women who was with a foreigner 'you should be with VN man because forenger are dirty' in front of her foreign husband.

This of course led to an altercation.... but who started it?

This is just one of 100's examples that I know of including things that happened to me.

VN men are so jealous and insecure they cannot hold it in most of the time and act pretty surprised when getting punch in the face after calling our girlfriends/wives whores.

It sounds like Korea.... Does not seem like my kind of place.....
cb400

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that Korea is worse for that. Having said that, the south was definitely more relaxed about that than Hanoi.
skarper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't pay any heed to that kind of nonsense. It's another reason not to learn Vietnamese so you don't have to hear it. Perhaps my wife is sometimes upset by idiots like these but I think she has the sense to realize the truth behind it.

It is better to ignore it rather than lash out - whatever the provocation. The only circumstances when violence is justified is self-defense and then try to minimize it. The danger is that things will escalate and I don't give much for any foreigner's chances in court here.

I had friends in Korea who would fight the locals over the must ridiculous things. I tried to explain the risks to them but they were high testosterone young men and there was no point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: