Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Negative things about Vietnam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Sgt Welsh wrote:
mk87 wrote:

Also, punching someone because they called your wife a *beep* is pretty stupid really. As you said, uneducated and poor - the people who most deserve physical justice

Maybe it is stupid, but, then again, so is most violence and, IMHO, it's a better reason than most based on the fights I've seen. Personally if some bloke said that and the husband decided to give them a good smack, in all honesty, [providing they weren't, for example, some mentally ill hobo], I would have zero sympathy and I'd say they had it coming.

DAMN RIGHT!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmett grogan wrote:
"Motorbike? Where you go?" every 30 seconds.

Hey..Hey... YOU...MOTO BIKE!

And they will persist, if YELLING at you doesn't work, the xe om drivers also like to grab your arm to get your attention.
montblanc20

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fights are never worth it. If somebody is insulting you or your woman just dismiss them as being mentally deranged. I punched a bully in middle school and it wasn't really worth it. And now I'll always have that in my mind. Anything can happen in a fight. A small guy could land one punch and you fall backward onto the pavement and then you're dead. In addition, you should just be doing whatever you can to avoid police and hospitals here.

I have only seen one near fight here in four months. It was in the country. Some boys were threatening a cafe owner with a sword.

I feel very safe here. Going around big cities in France I had stuff happen and I had to watch myself because of certain ethnic groups that caused most of the crime. Thankful that those people aren't around here.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet here does my head in. On, then off, then on, then slow, then normal, then slow again.

And just on the fight thing, fights back home are a drink-fuelled thing. Fights here (often between women) seem to consist of a screaming contest and lots of throwing objects, in broad daylight in full view of everyone. I definitely find that strange, because it would be extremely unusual to see two people fighting to those extremes in a petrol station or a cafe. I'd love to know what started it.
torentosan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Civilized people Reply with quote

montblanc20 wrote:
Fights are never worth it. If somebody is insulting you or your woman just dismiss them as being mentally deranged. I punched a bully in middle school and it wasn't really worth it. And now I'll always have that in my mind. Anything can happen in a fight. A small guy could land one punch and you fall backward onto the pavement and then you're dead. In addition, you should just be doing whatever you can to avoid police and hospitals here.

This is the attitude I would expect from civilized people.
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet and wifi
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montblanc20 wrote:

Nice post montblanc20. If some guy insults me then I'd be much more inclined to let it go than if they are insulting my girlfriend or wife. If someone, out-of-the-blue, insulted my wife or girlfriend I'd probably start by telling them to apologize and then see what happens from there.

My parents actually run a small business in a working-class area in Australia. The business is one of those where you have to deal a lot of with the public and, although most of the people they deal with are decent, they also have to mix with a lot of deadbeats. One of the deadbeats that they were dealing with, during a discussion about him owing money, called my mother a word (which I won't repeat here, but it's an extremely insulting and crude phrase that refers to part of a woman's anatomy - I think most of us can guess). Incidentally, my mother is an extremely polite and calm lady. Anyway, she told my step-father what happened and he just nodded. He later found the guy (he happened to be alone) and, after a very brief discussion, he decked him. By the way, my step-father was in his late fifties and the other guy was in his early twenties. My step-father only hit him once, he hit the ground and then he started crying Rolling Eyes. Others may disagree, but I have absolutely no problems with this whatsoever.

By the way montblac20, I know you feel bad about punching that bully in middle school, but, [and this is a sincere question], did he still hassle you after that?

I'm With Stupid wrote:
The internet here does my head in. On, then off, then on, then slow, then normal, then slow again.

The Internet cables have been stolen. I guess some of the locals needed drinking money for Tet Rolling Eyes. The Internet is kind of working, but forget about sites like YouTube. Anyway, I hear it's going to be about three weeks before it will be back to normal Sad.
montblanc20

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There wasn't any bullying after that one. I still feel kind of bad about it because neither of us were with the in crowd. But maybe I was in more than he was. He turned into a gamer computer guy.

I suppose if somebody said something about my mom in front of my mom I would try something.
skarper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very easy to lose your temper and lash out physically. If your mother had to visit you in jail after you were convicted of assault she might have wished you just treated the idiot with the contempt they deserve.

I repeat - it just isn't worth it. Ignore it and walk away. Only fight when you have to. This goes for anywhere but is especially true here.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply montblanc20 and, whilst you may feel a bit guilty about it, it doesn't surprise me in the least that the bullying stopped after that point.

skarper wrote:
It's very easy to lose your temper and lash out physically. If your mother had to visit you in jail after you were convicted of assault she might have wished you just treated the idiot with the contempt they deserve.

I repeat - it just isn't worth it. Ignore it and walk away. Only fight when you have to. This goes for anywhere but is especially true here.

Cool skarper and I guess we will just beg to differ on this one. I remember once reading a quote, I think it was from Napoleon [just did a Google search, but couldn't find it], and it was something along the lines of this: "It's a shame so many young men die from dueling because at least it encourages people to be polite." Although no one is advocating a return to pistols and swords at dawn, I think this was probably an accurate statement and decent people's reluctance to confront anti-social, gutless chavs (like the one in the example I provided) will, unfortunately, probably result in more anti-social behavior and, tragically, perhaps more chavs. I'm glad that my stepfather did what he did and I suspect he gave that idiot something to think about. The deadbeat might not behave quite so appallingly next time, but, if there had been no consequences, why wouldn't he? It's not like we can appeal to his sense of decency or self-respect, because clearly he has none of either.
skarper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beg to differ my %&@$$! I demand satisfaction...

I suggest board markers at dawn - the first to sully the others doublet is the winner.
just noel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VNAT, Vietnam National Administration of Tourism has announced that all foreign visitors to Vietnam will charged $1 usd per day. $1 dollar for every day.

They claim they need the money to promote tourism.

Local and foreign managers in the industry are criticizing this fee because it is not known where the money will actually go and visa fees for VN are already a lot higher than neighboring countries.

Tourists to Vietnam also number about 4.6 to 4.8 million per year.

I searched for the thread that where the govt stated the numbers were up to 11 million per year and we talked about that being B.S.

Adding business visitors the total is about 7 million.

Anybody know where that thread is?
Anh Dep

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great decision by the brains in Hanoi, not only does Viet Nam have the highest visa fees in the region,but the visa extensions are just getting crazy. Wake up Hanoi, your driving the country backwards.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With Stupid wrote:

The internet is terrible right now, because the undersea cable the connect Vietnam to the world wide web has been damaged.... again. It happened a few years ago, and thankfully its not as bad as that time.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just noel wrote:

Anybody know where that thread is?

Are you referring to this one?:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=102735

I think the section you want is on the last page. I was actually the one that referenced the link you seem to be talking about, however, I wasn't the one who did the calculations so I'm not married to it. If you have some more reliable data, by all means, I'd be sincerely interested to read it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: