Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British International Language School in Budapest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueStater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: British International Language School in Budapest Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information about this school? It appears legit, but I am always wary when asked to send money upfront. *Though, in this case the upfront $$ is for Euro work visa (I am American) and refundable key (apartment) money.

Thanks in advance!
artemisia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just wondering, Bluestater, where you saw this job advert, who's asking you to send money (and how)? The school itself or a recruiter?

Others will probably be along to clarify matters, but I think it's got to be a scam. I only know of the British International School in Budapest, but even if there genuinely is a "British International Language School", the name is most likely being used by scammers.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private language school cannot pay for a 'Euro work visa.' There is no such thing as a 'Euro work visa.'

Hungary, being a 'new' EU member state,I THINK still does allow legal permits to be issued to non-EU citizens (this is true in the Czech Rep, Poland, and Slovakia, but I do not have direct knowledge of the current law in Hungary).

However, there should be NO upfront fees. The normal procedure is to go to Hungary, sign a work contract, then immediately make application for work permits, usually assisted by the school so far as paperwork. There may be a small fee for all this, but upfront is not the norm; you have to have a signed work contract in advance.

Another red flag is if they are recruiting from abroad. In this region, it's very rare to be hired sight-unseen. There are simply plenty of teachers around in most every case so that reputable schools don't need to take a chance on anyone sight-unseen.

Please do let us know how this works out, and be extremely careful. It does honestly sound quite suspicious.

PS - another indication of scam; what is the origin of the email address of the country? (.cz being Czech Rep, .ca being Canada, etc.; I'm not sure what the address is for Hungary, but it should be google-able)
BlueStater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the contract in front of me and it all appears very legitimate. It is for the British International Language School located at the British International School located at Kiscelli koz 17. I am to send $$ WU to the British international school offices at their verified address in London.

I have been teaching ESL in Korea for two years and saw the ad on one of the major ESL job sites, and I nailed the interview.

Certainly hope its all legitimate. I even sent a brief email to the Language School London offices giving them the name of the person i am to send the $$ to over there.
artemisia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean it's saying it's one and the same as the B I S? The British International School is a reputable chain of schools for primary and secondary school students. They would recruit certified school teachers. I don�t see any mention of a separate language school on the Budapest site. Have you already looked here?
http://www.nordanglia.com/budapest/home.html

Is this the email address you used for the London office?
http://www.thebis.com/contact-us/

W U = Western Union?
I can�t believe the B I S would be using Western Union!! Money to be sent via W U (untraceable) is usually a sure sign of a scam. People on these boards have reported elaborate scams involving quite authentic sounding interviews via Skype. I can�t remember which thread or which forum. I'd be ringing and checking with B I S London directly before I sent any money.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine that BIS would ask a teacher to pay any fee for a visa. Actual international schools normally take care of any such costs.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: British International Language School in Budapest Reply with quote

BlueStater wrote:
Does anyone have any information about this school? It appears legit, but I am always wary when asked to send money upfront. *Though, in this case the upfront $$ is for Euro work visa (I am American) and refundable key (apartment) money.

Thanks in advance!

I cannot recall a sinle incident of a request to send money by WU for visa processing or lodging that did NOT turn out to be a scam. It has probably happened, but be aware that the odds are against this being a legitimate offer. I certainly hope it is, but be alert, cautious, and verify everything. I wouldn't go any further without calling the BIS at a verifiable number to ask about the language school and this job offer.

BlueStater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah guys, it is one and the same as British International School (as the school teaches a variety of subjects, the Language school gets its name). It's been vetted and verified. I definitely had my doubts as well until I emailed and called.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You called the London office, as listed on the website, and they confirmed the Budapest office is offering you a job, and that the Western Union thing is Kosher?

Well, if you're certain they're not your run-of-the mill Western Union scammer, best of luck to you I suppose. Would you mind reporting back when you actually start working there? I don't think I'll believe it otherwise.

Regards,
~Q
BlueStater

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your responses, I'm opting out, all in all it does sound fishy- that's my update.

On to Taiwan or Vietnam...warmer there anyway
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCAM
artemisia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think we're all in agreement. If the email address Blueslater has matches the one in the link (London) I posted before, then I wonder how genuine that site is. British International Schools don�t all come under the same group, but jobs are usually posted on sites like TES, not ESL job sites.

It�s not just about money; it�s also handing in notice and possibly travelling. Scams seem to be getting more elaborate and detailed: interviews/websites/contracts. But scammers can�t cover themselves fully. Out of the number of red flags pointed out, WU is a flashing light.
redcard23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working in Budapest and can definitely confirm that this is a scam. The address that you mentioned Kiscelli 17 has only the British International School , there is no language school. The international school hire teachers directly to teach ESL and they advertise via tes and the likes....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: