Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Countries that offer the highest salaries - top 3?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nyc2323

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Countries that offer the highest salaries - top 3? Reply with quote

Where can a TEFLer make the most money these days? If you could list the top 3, based on either your own experience or information you've gleaned from this board or elsewhere, what would they be? Exactly how much money is the most you've ever heard of a TEFLer making?

In full disclosure, I'm working on a school project and want to use your information and answers. Additionally, however, I'm a TEFLer myself and interested in getting back to it eventually, so I'm genuinely and personally interested in your responses.

Thanks!
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on one's qualifications and experience.

With a related MA + a couple of years, the Middle East is probably the most lucrative.

With just a BA + 30-day certification, it's probably a couple of choices in Asia, but others with direct experience will speak to that.

It's not Europe regardless of quals & experience!
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear nyc2323

Depends one HECK of a lot on one's qualifications and experience.

If you have a Masters in TESOL or Applied Linguistics and about 3 - 5 years overseas experience, I'd say the three best countries salary-wise are in the Middle East: The UAE, Saudi, and Qatar.

Regards,
John

Ah, is see you got there just before me, spiral Very Happy
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General remuneration packages have been discussed multiple times before (recently).

By and large, as an entry level TEFLer the best packages are in Asia with Korea still leading the pack with monthly salaries in the $2000 range plus air, housing and other benefits. Because of the other benefits, savings on the order of $1000/month are common.

After that basing packages on base salary alone is pointless because of the widely divergent costs of living in the different countries in the region.

As an example, in Korea I was earning $40,000/year but savings were only about $15,000. I moved to Thailand, my salary went down by $8000 but the savings went up to about $20,000 because of the much lower costs of living. (this is not an average, entry level TEFL wage).

In China the entry level TEFL teacher will be looking at remuneration packages in the $1000/mo range and, depending on where they are, they will be able to save anywhere from nothing to $700/month on that salary.

The other countries in East Asia are all similar in terms of work/visa requirements and remuneration.

One BIG CAVEAT in all of this is the assumption that the TEFL teacher has a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree and a 120 hr TEFL cert. For those lacking a degree the chances of finding legal work in the region is quickly approaching "0" and after 2015 (ASEAN integration) it will be "0" with but a few exceptions (working holiday visa or married to someone within the region).

nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Countries that offer the highest salaries - top 3? Reply with quote

nyc2323 wrote:
Where can a TEFLer make the most money these days? If you could list the top 3, based on either your own experience or information you've gleaned from this board or elsewhere, what would they be? Exactly how much money is the most you've ever heard of a TEFLer making?

Based on what criteria? I agree with the other posters that education level/cert/experience, employer-provided benefits, and cost of living need to be considered. I'll add spending habits and single vs. family status. Then we have to factor in the type of teaching situation (e.g., international school, language school, higher ed, military/govt facilities, etc.) as well.
nyc2323

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have included in my question that I'm talking about a person with basic qualifications - a BA, a decent TEFL cert, a year or two of experience. I appreciate your replies but you're getting too caught up in the details. I just want to know where a person with the above quals can have the most financially comfortable lifestyle. Of course I know that the same amount of money goes further in, say, China than it does in Japan.

I want to know which countries offer the best opportunity to live like a king.

Thanks!
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nyc2323 wrote:
I want to know which countries offer the best opportunity to live like a king.

Nowhere.

If you want to live like a king you picked the wrong occupation. If you want to live the life of an expat executive then you better change occupations.

IF you want a decent standard of living, reasonable savings (US$10-20k per year), a comfortable amount of vacation time (4-6 weeks of annual vacation time - not always consecutive), then any country in Asia will offer you that chance.

It won't jump out at you. You're going to have to network and dig for it.
Competition for those "plum" jobs is fierce (everybody and his dog wants one).
It is more about networking, who you know and more importantly - who knows you.

Fresh off the plane and with no effort, Korea is still king for entry level teachers.

China is a decent 2nd but it really is the wild west of the east and all the problems that were inherent in Korea 10-15 years ago exist in China today.

Thailand offers some interesting opportunities for those with a modicum of common sense and some initiative.

If you just want to find a contract, put in your work week and spend the rest of your time chasing skirts and/or staring at the bottom of a mug of Guinness then your remuneration package will match your ambition.

Last edited by tttompatz on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
santi84

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BA + basic TEFL + 2 years experience and live like a king?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I had a TESL instructor once who said he lived like a king in Spain - 20 years old, a BA + TESL certificate (when few TEFL'ers had any qualifications). He had enough spare cash to spend at the bars all night (along the hot sunny beaches) with the company of lovely Spanish women.

Of course, this was also 30+ years ago Cool

So the answer to your question is: Spain + a time machine.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Countries that offer the highest salaries - top 3? Reply with quote

nyc2323 wrote:
Where can a TEFLer make the most money these days?

1. Japan

2. South Korea

3. China or perhaps Vietnam.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The highest salary isn't the only thing you have to consider. It's like peopel who say that people will bachelor's degree earn more than those who don't. It doesn't matter how much you earn: it's how much you can save. Or how well you can live on that.

Usually the Middle East and Korea have good salary packages and people can save well. Though if you do a quick search, ttompatz often puts up info about salaries and saving and shows people that even though you may earn more in Korea, you can often save more and live better in places like Thailand.
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are NOT getting caught up in details (that are inconsequential, anyway). You clearly did not state the most basic item -- qualifications -- and it is hard to imagine that you can live like a king anywhere, quals or not. So I agree with the others, the answer is nowhere.

Now, if you were to humor me and tell us what "live like a king" truly means to you, we could respond even further.

The whole idea of living extremely well in TEFL, let alone with very basic quals, is unreasonable. Realize that. Now, what would you settle for?

Income is probably tops in UAE, Korea (due to free rent), or Japan (depending on a LOT of factors). That includes your "kingly" pleasures and what they cost.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
The whole idea of living extremely well in TEFL, let alone with very basic quals, is unreasonable.

Right!!
spanglish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to Colombia! Live like a king on 25� a day!
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world but lose his very soul?
Kofola

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What shall it profit a man if he shall gain the whole world but lose his very soul?

Well said!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: