Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching or related jobs with the United Nations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tina20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Teaching or related jobs with the United Nations Reply with quote

Hi,

I was having a conversation yesterday with a friend who's been in the TEFL industry for over 12 years now.

We got to thinking about the kind of opportunities the UN or its many offshoots would have to offer to people with skill sets like ours.

Has anyone worked with them ever? What's it like and how does one go about getting involved with them?

Last edited by tina20 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
johntpartee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought of it (or heard of it). Sounds kind of far-fetched; I believe the UN concerns itself primarily with interaction between countries rather than "grass-roots" development within individual member states. It would probably come under the aegis of educational development in general rather than specifically addressing learning foreign languages.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching or related jobs with the United Nations Reply with quote

There's the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), which focuses on children's rights worldwide. Education is a major piece of their initiatives. There's also the US Agency for International Development (USAID). It partners with NGOs to address humanitarian efforts throughout the world, including education.
tina20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
Never thought of it (or heard of it). Sounds kind of far-fetched;

I can assure you the opportunities are very real. A quick google search would reveal that.

I did some volunteer work with the UNICEF when I was just starting out in the TEFL field. Nothing fancy but a good learning experience for a newbie. Didn't know about USAID though (thanks nomad soul!)

I was wondering if anyone has worked on any specific education/training projects with UNESCO/UNICEF etc. Would really appreciate it if you could share your experiences.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNESCO UNICEF UNRWA FAO and all those other bureaucracies have some very nice jobs indeed. Better than TEFLing !
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... as long as you're in no hurry.

A friend of mine waited for over nine months to hear back from her application to FAO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: