Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to begin
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VietCanada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I've lived in the European region for the past 15 years. I have to disagree with VietCanada here to some degree, based on my first-hand knowledge of the teaching scene in Europe. Not sure what VC has based his advice upon, but his optimism is in conflict with what I know of employment conditions in this part of the world.

As regards Austria specifically, I have two long-term friends teaching in Austrian universities and 'my' university on the border with Germany partners with several universities in Austria, so we have considerable contact.

There are occasional openings at international schools in Austria, but they are extremely rare. The issue is that there is relatively little turnover in these positions; people who teach in international schools here (as in universities) usually have family ties and are here for the long-term.

Most will want you to have at least basic German language skills, and you will need direct contacts to be considered in most cases.

You'll need to be aware that Austria (as with the rest of Central and Western Europe) will strongly prefer teachers with passports from an EU country. An international school can get exceptional visas for non-EU teachers, but so long as there is an EU member citizen with equivalent skills and qualifications, there is little need for them to go through the expensive and complex legal processes required to do so.

There are lots of highly qualified teachers around; the last position for 'my' university advertised drew well over 25 solid CVs, meaning related MA + relevant experience + EU citizen.

It is by no means impossible that you will find something, and it's worth a search, but it's by no means a given that Europe or Austria will be within easy reach.

She sounds open minded but expressed a preference for Vienna so why not start the search there? If she had said 'Vienna or bust' then I might have responded differently, if at all.

How are my apostrophes? Comma? LOL
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apostrophes and commas are splendid, old chap!

However, I think Spiral's point was that there really isn't much happening in the way of any possibilities of the OP finding work in Austria. Perhaps in very special circumstances, unknown to any of the contributors here... Heck, there isn't even an Austrian board on this forum, which is most likely indicative of the dearth of opportunity.

It may sound hardhearted, but it can be of more service in the long run, and even in the short run, to disabuse newcomers of any unrealistic notions they may have, than to give false hope, no matter how well-intentioned. At least, that's what I took from Spiral's post.

So, OP, come to Russia! The Motherland awaits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ymrdKYXc8
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, I think that one of the great things about Dave's is that we each have different areas of experience and expertise. I don't try to give advice to posters asking about finding work in Asia or Latin America, because I really know pretty much nothing about working there. Austria, however, I do have a clue about (as I've elaborated above) along with some other parts of Europe.
VietCanada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Apostrophes and commas are splendid, old chap!

However, I think Spiral's point was that there really isn't much happening in the way of any possibilities of the OP finding work in Austria. Perhaps in very special circumstances, unknown to any of the contributors here... Heck, there isn't even an Austrian board on this forum, which is most likely indicative of the dearth of opportunity.

It may sound hardhearted, but it can be of more service in the long run, and even in the short run, to disabuse newcomers of any unrealistic notions they may have, than to give false hope, no matter how well-intentioned. At least, that's what I took from Spiral's post.

So, OP, come to Russia! The Motherland awaits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2ymrdKYXc8

My commas and apostrophes passed muster! This math/EFL guy will drink to that! :cheers:

I absolutely agree that we should not be giving newcomers unrealistic expectations. No harm in looking into it was my point (under the circumstances or my perception of them).

Europe is a tough nut to crack. I'd love to work there.

Russia is very intriguing as well. Walking about Moscow, sightseeing on a cold, blustery, snowy day is just something I need to experience. One day hopefully. As a tourist I expect.

Edit: Yes I have just decided that I must be listening to that song at the time of my walk-about. I am more determined than ever to visit that historical land. I must now convince my wife (as even now she implores me to turn off that ghastly music. Life is not fair! LOL). Wish me luck!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VietCanada wrote:

Europe is a tough nut to crack. I'd love to work there.

Yip, it is that. There are those who say that is probably easier in the long run to acquire an EU passport in order to work there, than to actually prove you are totally indispensable to the EU workforce.

So forget the EU! Come and join the Party in the Motherland! These days Russian passports are handed out like smarties to disaffected tax exiles. So much simpler : )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=078vZOpQ5Eg
sparks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would disagree about not paying to go to a job fair. This is how most certified teachers in the U.S. find the good jobs at international schools. I agree that you may not find anyone representing any schools in Austria as it is a desirable place to be--many American teachers would like to live, work and be paid a pretty good salary in Western Europe. Besides just coming to Vienna and wandering around looking for work (which, as has been pointed out, you most likely wouldn't get because of visa restrictions) I say find the nearest fair near you and go, you will find recruiters from all over the world.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember Bismarck's warning,"The Balkans begin in Vienna."
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever fellow, that Otto chappy.

The secret of politics? Make a good treaty with Russia.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sasha,

Clever indeed!

"There is a Providence that protects idiots, drunkards, children and the United States of America".
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/o/otto_von_bismarck.html#4V65o8v2X1Mk2Opw.99

Regards,
John
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Johnslat

Well, somebody has to look after all of them, as they clearly aren't fit to do so themselves Very Happy

Hic!

Regards

Sasha
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunny? How about Oaxaca?
But the question you haven't answered is your children's education. I would suggest enrolling them in an online US based school, because if you don't graduate from an American high school many US universities will consider you to be an "international" applicant, which would be both a pain and a shame.
Have your children been studying a foreign language? Which one and for how long?
What hobbies do your children have?
Do they play organized sports?

Does your husband have some sort of speciality area he teaches? classical? jazz? Does he perform much? How does he feel about teaching kids/beginners?

When are you hoping to make a move?
How long are you thinking of being abroad?
When (or if) you eventually move back, what would your career plans be?
Do you currently own your home? Are you looking to sell it before you move or rent it out? Would you return to the same location after your time abroad?

If any of these questions feel too personal to post your answers to that's fine, but you should have answers to them for yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: