Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where Can I Find a Detailed Language Competency Checklist?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Where Can I Find a Detailed Language Competency Checklist? Reply with quote

...or do I have to create my own from scratch?

What I'm after is more than a placement evaluation or course-specific test. I want something I can use to check off specific skills and competencies, in particular, listening comprehension and speaking from beginner to intermediate. The intention is to create an informal means of tracking student progress over time rather than as a formal test. Up until now, I've mostly kept individual notes on students but a detailed list of skills and subskills would be helpful to easily monitor active/passive discrepancies or compare similar competencies.

At the lowest levels this would include basic vocabulary identification, basic sentence and question patterns, and other structures with a way to check off as either passive recognition or somewhere within the active range.

Although standardized language competency tests for ELLs in America (now over 11% of the K-12 population) have been give a bad rap, can anyone tell me about the PET, KET and other Cambridge tests for YLs?
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.uv.es/~erasmuswop/doc/European_Framework_of_reference_for_languages.pdf

www.language.ca/pdfs/clb_adults.pdf

Common European Framework Descriptors
Canadian Language Benchmark Descriptors
Andre 3000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the British Council's/EAQUALS' core inventory, which is based on the CEFR link from Spiral:
http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/sites/teacheng/files/Z243%20E&E%20EQUALS%20BROCHURErevised6.pdf
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info about language assessment descriptors already given above, so here's some about YL testing.

KET and PET are not for YL classes per se, but for low level adults. There are school versions of these tests available:

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/pet-schools/index.html

Cambridge tests specific to YL classes are Starters, Movers, Flyers:

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/yle/index.html

Dunno if that helps much...
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone! Smile

From Sasha's link, I found the YLE Exam Handbook 2010 which provides very detailed info summarizing the main L/S/R/W skills focus for each of the 3 Cambridge YLE exams and vocab lists for each level.

CEF Level A1 = YLE Movers
CEF Level A2 = YLE Flyers = KET (Key English Test)

I must admit, until I taught my first IELTS prep course, I hadn't realized there's far more on Cambridge's website than just the latest ELT publications for order. I'm sure if I did my TESOL Cert course in the UK or Europe, I'd've known.

Edit: Anyone have a link to the US equivalent to Spiral's Canadian Language Benchmark Descriptors?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Edit: Anyone have a link to the US equivalent to Spiral's Canadian Language Benchmark Descriptors

The US hasn't got a national standard. ACTFL would like the national government to adopt theirs, but it's still up in the air.

http://www.actfl.org/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: