Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feeling lazy... Delivery suggestions???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninatchka

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Feeling lazy... Delivery suggestions??? Reply with quote

Life can sometimes be tough as a tefl-er. The on the go lifestyle, the weekend vacations, the kebabs, the commute, the lively social gatherings, the never-ending clouds of grammar...etc.
It isn�t until too late when I realize the atrocity of my diet. Admittedly, I lack domestic skills and a spouse to take care of me. So what do you do when you haven�t opened your fridge in over four weeks, your food is ready to crawl out, and you�re sick on your back in what you believe to be your last few breathing moments?

I generally give in to laziness, admit defeat and phone for delivery. So I ask you fellow tefl-ers; what are some good/bad, cheap/affordable places to call for delivery???
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'never-ending clouds of grammar'? Smile

http://www.telepizza.pl/ is pretty good. Their Barbecue Habanero and Krolewska Gouda pizzas are the bomb. Usually have a buy one get one free (or even better) deal running in Warsaw.
sparks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nemus.net.pl/glowna.html

15 zl. home cooked meals with zupa and kompot to boot. I think they're really good and they do dostawa. The restaurant is on Hoza, also worth going to--especially in the winter, very cozy.
sparks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the lunches are now 18 zl. still good food though.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
http://www.nemus.net.pl/glowna.html

15 zl. home cooked meals with zupa and kompot to boot. I think they're really good and they do dostawa. The restaurant is on Hoza, also worth going to--especially in the winter, very cozy.
I may have been in Poland too long, but ordering or going out for Polish home cooking doesn't appeal to me at all any more.

The gf's mom is constantly handing containers of bigos, breaded cutlets, pierogi and krokiety to me to take home. I can hardly eat it all.

If I'm going to eat out it's going to be pizza, Indian food, Chinese food (or what passes for Chinese food here).
blaz88

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone remember the short lived burger joint in Wrocław, just behind the empik store? It was pretty dam good. Only lasted maybe 8 months but I thought it was one of the most authentic burgers in Poland for 8 zloty. Yeah Rodeo Drive made a great BBQ burger but it was 28-30 zloty. This place, I think it was called simply, Big Burger, cheap and proper homemade patties. I talked to the owner and he had spent time in Montreal so maybe thats where he got the idea. Thick bacon and cheese, gravy on fries, I thought it would be a hit and attended 2 times a week. He even had a Czech and Ukrainian beer on tap for 5 zloty per 500ml. Crazy how this place didn't pack them in. Yet the Spinx place, can't stand it, continually is packed around the country.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLT & Flatbreads on Ruska does a decent, inexpensive burger in Wroclaw. Their pizzas are good too.

Burger joints have never really caught on in Poland. Not exactly sure why, but I think it has something to do with them just not having access to a lot of high-quality beef like we do across the pond.

That, or maybe Poles are just too dainty to eat a real burger. An American friend of mine hosted a 4th of July party last year with Poles as well as expats in attendance. There were delicacies like Doritos, guac, Chips Ahoy! and burgers with hefty real beef patties and all the fixings. He'd bought thisl at the U.S. Embassy store. Some of the Poles (especially the women) had no idea how to eat these massive burgers and were desperately trying to cut them up with their crap plastic knives. One girl even took the burger out of the bun and ate meat and bread separately. Shocked

I miss good burgers but the kebab here makes up for them, IMO.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
One girl even took the burger out of the bun and ate meat and bread separately. Shocked

I do this, but that's because every time I try and eat a real burger properly, I put half of it across my clothes.

There's a place in Poznan that is highly recommended - a place called Molly's Grill, ul. Kwiatowa 2. They have proper burgers with all sorts of decent fillings - I'm partial to putting blue cheese and pineapple in one!

The meat, so I'm told, is imported Irish beef.
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blaz88 wrote:
Anyone remember the short lived burger joint in Wrocław, just behind the empik store? It was pretty dam good. Only lasted maybe 8 months but I thought it was one of the most authentic burgers in Poland for 8 zloty. Yeah Rodeo Drive made a great BBQ burger but it was 28-30 zloty. This place, I think it was called simply, Big Burger, cheap and proper homemade patties. I talked to the owner and he had spent time in Montreal so maybe thats where he got the idea. Thick bacon and cheese, gravy on fries, I thought it would be a hit and attended 2 times a week. He even had a Czech and Ukrainian beer on tap for 5 zloty per 500ml. Crazy how this place didn't pack them in. Yet the Spinx place, can't stand it, continually is packed around the country.

well said, i never understood Sphinx either. what an awful place.

is Rodeo that expensive? maybe it is. i've had their BBQ burger, i think i went there for Thanksgiving one year just to feel like I was eating something American Very Happy

it is strange how that burger joint failed, considering Poles love fast food and a burger in McDonald's probably costs just as much. maybe it just comes down to brand recognition.
wojbrian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is or was a burger joint in Opole that was a true American burger. The guy lived in the US for a bit.
PeterParvo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a bit of a self-proclaimed hamburger snob myself, I always found the meat wasn't up to snuff. I'm afraid I put corn-fed beef as the standard, which is hard to find overseas in restaurant burgers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: