Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL Certification in Thailand Inquiry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: TEFL Certification in Thailand Inquiry Reply with quote

Hello,
I posted an earlier inquiry regarding certification for teaching EFL students. I'm interested getting certified at accredited onsite locations within Chang Mai, Bangkok, Pattaya, and other locations throughout Thailand. I look forward to any recommendations from all of you expat teachers.

Thanks,
Aaron
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TEFL Certification in Thailand Inquiry Reply with quote

fpshangzhou wrote:
Hello,
I posted an earlier inquiry regarding certification for teaching EFL students. I'm interested getting certified at accredited onsite locations within Chang Mai, Bangkok, Pattaya, and other locations throughout Thailand. I look forward to any recommendations from all of you expat teachers.

Thanks,
Aaron

IF you are going to do it here, then get a CELTA.
IF the TEFL provider's web page looks more like a travel brochure than focusing on the educational aspects then beware.

DO BE AWARE (before you spend the money on your TEFL course) that to teach in Thailand (with proper visa and work permit) you need:

i) a degree from an accredited institution that is NOT on the list of fakes with matching transcripts

ii) be a native speaker (have a passport from one of: UK, USA, Canada, NZ, Australia, Ireland) OR have a score of more than 600 on the TOEIC test (other tests: TOEFL, IELTS) are also accepted.

If you lack <i> or <2> then legal work is not in your future in spite of what the TEFL provider may tell you. There is however lots of illegal work (often linked through TEFL providers) but it does not come with the proper visa or work permit and there are risks and difficulties (banking is problematic without a work permit).

MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz

Re getting a CELTA, would you say that other TEFL course providers in Thailand aren't very good, or just that their certificates aren't recognised? I'm wondering whether a Thai certificate gained from a less well-known school would be accepted in another country.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsBlackcurrant wrote:
tttompatz

Re getting a CELTA, would you say that other TEFL course providers in Thailand aren't very good, or just that their certificates aren't recognised? I'm wondering whether a Thai certificate gained from a less well-known school would be accepted in another country.

Most places (outside of Thailand) would discount your average Thai TEFL course as little better than nothing. There are a few exceptions but they are few and far between.

IF you want global recognition of your TEFL cert then CELTA, Trinity Cert TESOL or SIT cert TESOL are the top 3.

Everything else gets compared to one of those 3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: