Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking about switching from Korea to Taiwan. Money

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Closetothedge07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Thinking about switching from Korea to Taiwan. Money Reply with quote

Hello, I have been teaching in Korea for two years. Fun, but I visited Taiwan and just see it as a more desirable location for a few reasons(which I will spare you for the sake of time). I do have about 34,000 in student loans still, and I am worried about saving a fair amount in Taiwan.

I am being offered a position in Changhua 25 teaching hours per week for 60-63,000NTD. I heard the area is cheap, but I am looking to send about 1400USD back every two months. Does this seem doable? I know rent is going to cost between 200-300 and then there is of course, groceries/phone/transportation/leisure costs. I really want to take this job, but am only hesitant due to financial reasons. I was wondering if anyone living there could help with budget info or share their experience on the financial end. Thanks guys.
guobaoyobro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you saving in Korea? I'm curious why you can't save the amount you want there?

Without this info, I'd say : Think long and hard. The pay difference is probably not vast. How can you up your amount saved in Korea?

What if you hate the gig in Taiwan, or it doesn't pan out, or it's not what they promised? Then you have bigger problems.

If you're still enjoying yourself in Korea, I'd stay put for another year or two to start chipping at that debt. I highly doubt your savings will be much more.
TeacherTim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived in Changhua. Unless it's changed much there isn't much to do except visit the local bar. Hence, why its very cheap.

I've also worked in South Korea and out of the two I'd favour stopping in Korea.

It depends what you want, but my advice is to stay where you're the happiest. Money wise, I'd have to say that South Korea shades Taiwan too, but everybody is different in terms of their requirements etc.
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Changhua Reply with quote

If you're not travelling elsewhere and if you're not drinking booze, that amount should be easy. Changhua is kind of the sticks. Rent should be cheaper than in Taichung.

For my first year in Puli, my pay was cut to 65,000 (much less than I made in Taoyuan) and I saved 1K USD per month.

8000 for rent. 15,000 distributed in a plastic calendar at 500 a day (I mean, this is generous, I end up with cash for dates on the weekend). 1000 for internet. 300 for utils. Then maybe 5000 for whatever stupid thing you want to buy or do. Or add some of that to savings at the beginning of next month.

That's not hard. At all. Cake to save 30,000 NTD or more each month. Just my experiences. If you cannot have all the fun you want for 20,000 NTD a month after the first few months here and you know how to spend your money, then you have champagne tastes or something.
BruceLeeWannaBe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discrimination, social segregation, and overall anti foreigner vibes in Korea is one reason I would never go there. If money is a priority, I'd try one of the major cities in China since the discrimination towards us isn't as bad as Korea.

Taiwan on the otherhand, well hearing about how much more welcoming Taiwanese are, how much easier it is to fit in with people, I would prefer Taiwan myself. If I can't save as much money in Taiwan like I could in China, well then it becomes a question as to how much I can save in Taiwan in general. If I can save enough to make ends meet and still have a good quality of life, and at least save a little then that would be good enough for me.
Don72

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: Good Lord, if you have 34K (US $, I assume) to pay off...stay in Korea! Much easier to do. Plus I had a better time in Korea. Yes, I've lived & taught in both ROC & ROK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: