Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weighty e-readers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Weighty e-readers Reply with quote

Been contemplating the purchase of one of those new-fangled Kindle thingies or its rivals. Among the articles I've read about these e-readers things, one of the most frequent comments made were about the weight of the various devices on offer. This factor seemed to be quite important when thinking of making a purchase, as the commentators claimed that their hands got tired faster with certain models, hence leading to a reduction in reading.

Does any of this make sense to the posters here? Weight? Could we assume that purchasers of e-readers have never held a hard-covered tome in their reading lives?

Somebody please put me right on this matter... Crying or Very sad
reddevil79

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it odd that some posters would comment about the weight of an ereader. My Dad got one of the earlier Sony models, and while it�s not as slim as the newer models, you could hardly say it was a strain to hold it. I have a new Sony model and have had no issues with weight. I�ve heard similar comments made about some tablets mind you, but never ereaders.

A more important consideration for me is the file formats supported by the ereader, and where you think you�ll be getting books from. Admittedly, Kindle/Amazon do have a great selection of books, but you are kind of tied to their formats, which is something I detest on principle. I opted for Sony as it supported the epub formats. Local libraries in the UK are now offering a free ebook lending service which is available for Sony readers, but not the Kindle I gather. This might not bother you, but it swayed my decision; I�m constantly borrowing ebooks from my library.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: