Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I get a job with the British Council?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a form of the famous Peter Principle, that people get promoted to the level of incompetence. In this case, good professionals - and this means engineers and others, not just teachers - get better pay and better conditions for not doing what they're good at. I have always considered it worthwhile paying the professionals more for doing a good job rather than only rewarding managers. It's yet to catch on.
tina20

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueMango wrote:

So the BC has all their best teachers (on paper anyway) not teaching because they are managing regardless of the fact that the DELTA has no management component.

Current BC teacher here. Agree with everything that you've said BlueMango, except for one minor point.
DELTA does have a management component in Module 3 (should one opt to study it).
Hod

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not true to say BC managers are in that position due to very good teaching. In fact, my main criticism of the BC is how little attention is paid to teaching.

I was once a so-called ICT coordinator at a BC. I'm still unsure what this job was, but I still had 20 or so hours a week of teaching, which to me was miles more important than my secondary job. None of my students even knew I had this ICT job.

So I was bemused when my appraisals came round to be given pages of ICT-related objectives with teaching apparently seen as secondary. If I wanted to progress with the BC, I would have had to go on ICT courses thousands of miles away and become some sort of IT wizard. As it was, I turned down such a jolly (in Dubai too, very nice) as I was supposed to be teaching, not beering it up in five-star opulence.

Meanwhile, a colleague of mine with about a year's teaching experience had a secondary job to arrange meetings of local teachers or something nondescript like that. This colleague put their all into this secondary job, and guess what? They too had 20 or so hours to teach but no time to plan a single lesson. Students quite rightly complained about the lessons. I mean, a lot of you reading this now will have studied languages in a classroom setting, and how would you feel to know your lesson was woefully under-prepared because your teacher had been mending PCs or ordering canap�s for the next local teachers' party evening?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: