Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE NEW Contract Questions Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarcastro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: THE NEW Contract Questions Thread Reply with quote

Since the old one is about 7 years old and has been locked for a long time, I thought it might be nice to give a more modern FAQ about teaching in China.

I have a couple to start with. I just finished a perliminary interview that I feel pretty good about, they want to talk to me again tonight. They sent me a copy contract to look over and Id like to see what you guys think of a couple things.

First of all time and pay:

Party B�s monthly salary will be 10,000RMB (before taxation) during probation period.
Party B�s monthly salary will be 10,000RMB (before taxation) after probation period.
Party B�s salary will be paid on the 10th of every month. If the 10th falls on a weekend or public holiday, the salary will be paid on the next working day. The monthly salary will be calculated from the commencement of duties.

20 hours of teaching per week for full-time employees or as required by the school for part time teaching. The class hour is normally 45 minutes; however, it may be adjusted to the local school. If the class hours for a teacher are less than 20, then the time for teaching research, students� guidance after class, academic league activities or relevant assistance should be replenished.

10 hours of office hour per week for full-time employees. Minimum 5 office hours should be used for tutoring, meeting, researching or some other tasks arranged by director of studies. The total working hours (including teaching hours) per week do not exceed 40 hours according to Chinese Labor Law.

Secondly Housing:

Housing is provided, including electricity, hot water, and other device.
Note: Housing provision refers to apartment provided by the teaching center. If Party B wants
to arrange his/her own apartment, it will be considered as waiver and Party A is not responsible
for any expense(s) related to this.

How does this look to you guys, the hours seem fair though the housing says nothing about being furnished. Good/bad?
fred13331

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: THE NEW Contract Questions Thread Reply with quote

Sarcastro wrote:

How does this look to you guys, the hours seem fair though the housing says nothing about being furnished. Good/bad?

The hours are not fair - trust me. 10,000 for 16 teaching hours, with no add-ons is fair.

I have never seen this clause before

'Housing provision refers to apartment provided by the teaching center. If Party B wants
to arrange his/her own apartment, it will be considered as waiver and Party A is not responsible
for any expense(s) related to this''

One has to assume there is a reason this clause was inserted - it is not standard. What could that reason be? Crappy housing, shared housing? Ugh.

I have often seen clauses which say '' take our housing or we will give you some money to rent your own'

This ''take our housing or else'' clause is worrisome to me
Sarcastro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interviewer said that they were single occupancy apartments, no roommates, in the on-campus dorms. Is that fairly standard?
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
in the on-campus dorms.

They said "dorms"?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share the concerns about accommodation and would add queries about airfare refund after one year and paid holidays.
Airfare should be RMB10000 and at least one month of paid winter holiday.
However as this doesn't seem to be a public sector job I would need the semester start/finish dates to comment further.
If you are working 20 hours pw continuously without holidays then this is not a great deal, at least to a life styling public uni type like me.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntpartee wrote:
Quote:
in the on-campus dorms.

They said "dorms"?

'dorms' is a poor translation. they use the same word for student
dormitories as for factory worker lodging as for teacher apartments.

here in mayberry, we have 82-meter apartments; 2 bedrooms,
kitchen, bath, 'spartanly' furnished. ask any chinese teacher where
they are headed after class, they say 'back to my dormitory.'
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably be a good idea to make sure, though. One school the Chinese teachers stayed in real dorms. I was the only foreign teacher. I had a "department".
Denim-Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that there isnt really enough information provided to make a valid judgement on how fair the contract is.

Location is a big issue. In Shanghai that free housing is worth a fair bit, in a tiny little town it isnt. The 'dorm' could be the same as a student dorm, it could be the nice apartment mentioned by another poster.

The type of teaching? 'Adjusted to the local school' - Does that mean you will be travelling between schools to teach? That could suck big time.

On the surface, 10k a month with housing included isnt bad ... people are here working for less ... but without the details its hard to say if its a good or bad deal TBH.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: