Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Relevance of qualificaitons in Thailand

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shroob



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 1334

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Relevance of qualificaitons in Thailand Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm currently teaching English at a university in China. As much as I like it here, I think that Thailand would be a better place to raise a family in/start a life. As such I'm taking steps to 'up my game' as it were and gain further qualifications.

At the moment I have a first class degree (history) and a CELTA. I'm looking to do an M.A. in TESOL (or related field eg. Applied Linguistics) starting in September.

In China, the vast majority of jobs do not need or ask for an MA. Even the better jobs rarely ask for this and are got mainly by word of mouth or the fact that you have connections. I was wondering, in Thailand, what sort of jobs could one get with a CELTA, MA and 3 years' teaching experience? I would mainly be interested in university positions or international schools (if my qualifications allow that).

Another related question.... I was talking to a colleague earlier who goes to Thailand often and they said that it doesn't matter where the MA is from. Meaning that I could save some money and do my MA in Thailand. However, I was skeptical. I've heard that only MAs from English speaking countries (eg. the U.K., America, Australia etc) are accepted. Your thoughts on this?

Thanks for your time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tttompatz



Joined: 06 Mar 2010
Posts: 1951
Location: Talibon, Bohol, Philippines

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Relevance of qualificaitons in Thailand Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm currently teaching English at a university in China. As much as I like it here, I think that Thailand would be a better place to raise a family in/start a life. As such I'm taking steps to 'up my game' as it were and gain further qualifications.

At the moment I have a first class degree (history) and a CELTA. I'm looking to do an M.A. in TESOL (or related field eg. Applied Linguistics) starting in September.

In China, the vast majority of jobs do not need or ask for an MA. Even the better jobs rarely ask for this and are got mainly by word of mouth or the fact that you have connections. I was wondering, in Thailand, what sort of jobs could one get with a CELTA, MA and 3 years' teaching experience? I would mainly be interested in university positions or international schools (if my qualifications allow that).

Another related question.... I was talking to a colleague earlier who goes to Thailand often and they said that it doesn't matter where the MA is from. Meaning that I could save some money and do my MA in Thailand. However, I was skeptical. I've heard that only MAs from English speaking countries (eg. the U.K., America, Australia etc) are accepted. Your thoughts on this?

Thanks for your time.


Uni jobs in Thailand pay crap. On average they pay about 20% lower than a government school job and they expect the world for it.

Proper (as in internationally accredited) International Schools require you to hold valid teaching credentials from your home country (a requirement of their accreditation) as well as experience (2-5 years). Their remuneration packages are DECENT (about 3-4x what someone would make in EFL).
Wages in the 100-130k thb + benefits are pretty common.

Lower tier International Schools (international in name only), bilingual schools and some of the better EP/MEP schools pay somewhere in between. Best paying jobs are teaching math and science. Lowest paying jobs are teaching English. Salary packages in the 50-75k thb range can usually be found at these schools.

This is what someone with a BA, TEFL and some real time in the classroom should be looking for.

Next in terms of remuneration would be the language academies with packages in the 40k thb range with few or no benefits.

At the bottom of the pile are the public/government schools. Salaries in the 30-35k thb range are usually at these schools. These are about as common as sand on the beach.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shroob



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 1334

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Relevance of qualificaitons in Thailand Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
Shroob wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm currently teaching English at a university in China. As much as I like it here, I think that Thailand would be a better place to raise a family in/start a life. As such I'm taking steps to 'up my game' as it were and gain further qualifications.

At the moment I have a first class degree (history) and a CELTA. I'm looking to do an M.A. in TESOL (or related field eg. Applied Linguistics) starting in September.

In China, the vast majority of jobs do not need or ask for an MA. Even the better jobs rarely ask for this and are got mainly by word of mouth or the fact that you have connections. I was wondering, in Thailand, what sort of jobs could one get with a CELTA, MA and 3 years' teaching experience? I would mainly be interested in university positions or international schools (if my qualifications allow that).

Another related question.... I was talking to a colleague earlier who goes to Thailand often and they said that it doesn't matter where the MA is from. Meaning that I could save some money and do my MA in Thailand. However, I was skeptical. I've heard that only MAs from English speaking countries (eg. the U.K., America, Australia etc) are accepted. Your thoughts on this?

Thanks for your time.


Uni jobs in Thailand pay crap. On average they pay about 20% lower than a government school job and they expect the world for it.

Proper (as in internationally accredited) International Schools require you to hold valid teaching credentials from your home country (a requirement of their accreditation) as well as experience (2-5 years). Their remuneration packages are DECENT (about 3-4x what someone would make in EFL).
Wages in the 100-130k thb + benefits are pretty common.

Lower tier International Schools (international in name only), bilingual schools and some of the better EP/MEP schools pay somewhere in between. Best paying jobs are teaching math and science. Lowest paying jobs are teaching English. Salary packages in the 50-75k thb range can usually be found at these schools.

This is what someone with a BA, TEFL and some real time in the classroom should be looking for.

Next in terms of remuneration would be the language academies with packages in the 40k thb range with few or no benefits.

At the bottom of the pile are the public/government schools. Salaries in the 30-35k thb range are usually at these schools. These are about as common as sand on the beach.

.


Thanks for the information. It seems then, that I should be looking at the lower tier international schools with the qualifications I have/plan to get.

I said university positions as in China, they offer type of job I'm interested in (low hours, long holidays and accommodation provided). I thought it may be the same in Thailand. I don't mind the lower wages as it provides for a better lifestyle, in my opinion at least.

Thanks again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tttompatz



Joined: 06 Mar 2010
Posts: 1951
Location: Talibon, Bohol, Philippines

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Relevance of qualificaitons in Thailand Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:

Thanks for the information. It seems then, that I should be looking at the lower tier international schools with the qualifications I have/plan to get.

I said university positions as in China, they offer type of job I'm interested in (low hours, long holidays and accommodation provided). I thought it may be the same in Thailand. I don't mind the lower wages as it provides for a better lifestyle, in my opinion at least.

Thanks again.


Lower tier International schools and a large number of bilingual/EP/MEP schools will put you on a 12 month contract with 6-14 weeks of paid vacation but they are 40 hour work weeks with class loads varying from 15-22.

Agencies and language centers usually work you for 50 weeks and 22-30 classes per week.

Universities may have low class loads 12-15 but still expect most of your day to be on-campus and available for "other things" (office hours, assisting colleagues, etc.).

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC