Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best place to teach with CELTA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommyjx

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Best place to teach with CELTA? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are currently teachers in Korea and are looking to move on in the next year. I've seen a lot of varying information about where in the world the CELTA has actual value, but given our qualifications, some personal opinions (based on experience) might be more helpful. We're open to just about any region/country. We'd also be looking for the best possible salaray/benefits package as we are going to move forward with opening our own business in the next 5-10 years.

Me:
American, 30
English degree
2 years at hagwon (8-19yr olds)
Will complete CELTA

She:
British, 27
Psychology degree
TEFL cert
2 years at high school
Will complete CELTA.

Thanks everyone!
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A public school job where you are is still the best bang for your buck in terms of a gross remuneration package and net savings with the qualifications that you have (entry level EFL qualifications).

You MIGHT be able to find something in China, that although it may have a lower gross salary/remuneration, might allow you greater net savings.

Anywhere else in Asia (east, southeast or west) will not offer better in terms of gross savings with your minimal qualifications.

If you do want to move onward for personal reasons then you will start at the bottom of the ladder again when you land but with a few years under your belt, if you are any good at what you do, you will quickly move up as opportunities present themselves.

If you want the biger money you will either need to get qualified as a licensed teacher or get a related MA and head for the middle east.

Oh, and the CELTA won't do anything for you in terms of a better salary package but it may allow you to improve what you do so better opportunities will present themselves.

tommyjx

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking that Korea would still be the best option for us - but with the public route. I've seen openings in places like Oman that have similar requisites to Korea (but with the CELTA). Is this not true?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommyjx wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking that Korea would still be the best option for us - but with the public route. I've seen openings in places like Oman that have similar requisites to Korea (but with the CELTA). Is this not true?

The Middle East is its own can of worms... you might want to query in the ME forums for specifics.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommyjx wrote:
I've seen openings in places like Oman that have similar requisites to Korea (but with the CELTA). Is this not true?

Unfortunately, your minimal qualifications aren't apt to get you a good-paying teaching position in Oman. (Oman pays below what the other Gulf countries offer.) University employers in the Mid East want to see post-TEFL cert experience at the tertiary level. Additionally, the better employers in Oman require a relevant MA. For some, a related BA will suffice; however, those opportunities are limited. And then there's the issue of you and your girlfriend not being married...
tommyjx

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're saying to forgo the CELTA and go straight to an MA. Is that accurate?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommyjx wrote:
Sounds like you're saying to forgo the CELTA and go straight to an MA. Is that accurate?

I don't know which you you're referring to, but if me, then no, that's not what I said. If you complete a relevant MA that includes a practical component, then you satisfy the supervised/evaluated teaching practice employers in the Mid East want to see. Otherwise, get a CELTA, SIT TESOL, Trinity Cert TESOL, or other similar/equivalent TEFL cert. There are some opportunities in the region where a minimum of a BA is acceptable in terms of requisite education. However, those positions are likely to 1) be with sketchy contracting companies; 2) require the degree be related to TEFL; and/or 3) be limited�as in, employers only want applicants with a related MA instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: