Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pending Skype Interview (CSWEF and Whitestone Academy)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarcastro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Pending Skype Interview (CSWEF and Whitestone Academy) Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I have a Skype interview with "CSWEF and Whitestone Academy". I have no idea what I am doing or what things to look for. If any of you have some pro tips on what to do, what to say, or what to not to Smile.

Also if you have any thing on CSWEF and Whitestone Academy Id like to hear your experiences.

Thanks!
doogsville

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more information might help you garner a few more replies. I'm guessing it's teaching job, but what kind? Will you be teaching kindergarten, children or adults? What kind of school is it. What previous experience do you have? Why do you want to work in China? All these things are relevant and all of them could come up at the interview. Have you ever had a job interview before of any kind? If so, it's hard to imagine this one will be much different.

I've only ever had a telephone interview before, and my impression was the employer was just making sure I was, in fact, a native speaker. My current job asked my two colleagues to do demo classes over Skype though, since they were both in other cities at the time.
Sarcastro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh Right!

I am just back from a nearly two year stint in Georgia where I was teaching ESL to elem students. This particular job Im interviewing for has already seen my CV and has shown interested in speaking with me. It is with what I assume is a Chinese recruiting company and their first opening is for a High School in Haimen. The job opening in particular is for teaching History and what they named as "Culture" though the write-up didnt mention very many specifics which I do plan on asking in our interview.

I have had an interview like this before so no Im not too worried about it. But Im a huge novice when it comes to Eastern culture. I have a sis who is a head buyer with a big-box store chain and she told me to be careful. She says that at her work they have workshops and such for those who are new to doing business with China and they warn about seemingly innocuous things that may cause cultural tensions. Now I know this isnt as major as a multi-million dollar product deal but it did make me a bit wary and brought me here.

So, as I asked before, any words of advice?
roadwalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarcastro wrote:
Heh Right!

I am just back from a nearly two year stint in Georgia where I was teaching ESL to elem students. This particular job Im interviewing for has already seen my CV and has shown interested in speaking with me. It is with what I assume is a Chinese recruiting company and their first opening is for a High School in Haimen. The job opening in particular is for teaching History and what they named as "Culture" though the write-up didnt mention very many specifics which I do plan on asking in our interview.

I have had an interview like this before so no Im not too worried about it. But Im a huge novice when it comes to Eastern culture. I have a sis who is a head buyer with a big-box store chain and she told me to be careful. She says that at her work they have workshops and such for those who are new to doing business with China and they warn about seemingly innocuous things that may cause cultural tensions. Now I know this isnt as major as a multi-million dollar product deal but it did make me a bit wary and brought me here.

So, as I asked before, any words of advice?

I wouldn't be too worried about offending. Since you are expecting to be teaching history and culture though, I'd avoid anything vaguely political. Refer to China as "the mainland" to avoid wrong terminology regarding Hong Kong, Macau and especially Taiwan. Officially, the latter is a province of China and the argument is over whose government should lead the "one China." Also avoid discussing Tibet or what happened in Tiananmen Square in Beijing. If the interview does feel like the third degree as far as politics, perhaps it's best to turn down the job.

Most schools I've been involved with were pretty relaxed and curious about where I'm from and what it's like where I'm from. Be friendly and ask questions about the area. Every place in China is "famous" for some thing or another. Oh, and try not to giggle when saying Haimen. Good luck!
doogsville

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And ask what, if any textbooks they want you to teach from, so you can plan in advance, or if they want you to recommend textbooks. I'm guessing you'll be teaching 'western' history and culture, so you might want to ask them if there's any one particular country you should concentrate on out of the 191 member states of the UN that are not China. Kidding, but it's worth asking if there's any particular areas they want you to cover. The likelihood is that they'll leave it up to you what to teach.

I'm with Roadwalker on the causing offence part. Just be polite and treat it like you would any other interview. There are a ton of rules regarding etiquette and social position and politics with a small p over here. The good thing is most of them don't apply to us since we are still seen as 'barbarians' to a large extent, who do not know how to, so cannot be relied on, to behave in a civilised manner. You can get away with a lot because of that. I've worked with loud, rude, ignorant alcoholics who were tolerated with a smile and had their contracts renewed. I've witnessed behaviour from FT's that would have seen them out on the street in minutes in their own countries. I neither condone nor recommend that kind of behaviour though. Try to relax and enjoy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: