Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need a change from SK
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need a change from SK Reply with quote

djg2323 wrote:
Hello, I am currently teaching in SK and have been for the last three years. I have seen the country and I have become extremely bored here. I have also noticed that the prices of most goods are rising, while salaries are stagnant. My question is for people who have worked in SK, but now work in China:

Which country do you like working in more? Why?

While I liked SK well enough (did 5 years), I left for the same reason as what you are feeling. The first couple of years were exciting. The last 3 were much less so. I only stayed that long in all honesty because of a girl. I lived in Seoul and it certainly wasn't cheap there. I was able to work my way up to the top of the public school payscale, but I had hit the ceiling.

I've been in China (Shanghai) for 2 years now. There is more variety in things to do/see and places to go. It's cheaper here. I make more and save more here. I personally find people in general more friendly and helpful. There is a different expat culture; much more varied.

I'd recommend a jump over here to anyone that has become bored with SK. I've met many people that came here after working there. Most everyone had good things to say about their time in SK, but they also said they prefer it here.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinadad wrote:
Also echo that Chinese culture is the pits -if anyone disagrees, please describe the kind of culture that you're enjoying

5000 years of phlegm !
ecubyrd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kungfuman wrote:
chinadad wrote:
Also echo that Chinese culture is the pits -if anyone disagrees, please describe the kind of culture that you're enjoying

5000 years of phlegm !

Which is no different than one gets in kimchi-land.
tideout

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecubyrd wrote:
kungfuman wrote:
chinadad wrote:

5000 years of phlegm !

Which is no different than one gets in kimchi-land.

Seriously, you're correct. I thought he was making a reference to SK where it's a sheet of lung juice all over the sidewalks.....disgusting.

On a higher note, I must say both places are somewhat dismal to me but in different ways. I think Chinese folks are more relaxed in their relating to foreigners. The overall system for dealing with things in SK seems more sophisticated to me - everything from banking to contracts etc....Unfortunately I think that neither are particularly good options at this point.
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: korea or China Reply with quote

Op, depends on what you are looking for.

I find the students here friendlier,more relaxed, and more willing to learn.

Guess that depends on where you live.

In Korea I made a lot more, but I spent a lot more.

I agree with Simon. Wish I would have left SK earlier and came here.

Here I work at a University, and the pay is 6000 rmb. (first year here) We get our full airfare, bonus each term, and good vacation time. I teach 10 hours of privates a week, and have not touched my salary. Also going on a great 10 day vacation using the money from the privates.

I have never been as relaxed in SK as I have been here.
weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is it really difficult to send money home if you're still paying off student loans and such? I mean its great to make similiar salaries but if you can send some of it home, what's the point? I'm an SK vet myself and like what I hear about China. How would I start, maybe a language mill, since they pay higher, then look around or network, etc?
weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: korea or China Reply with quote

teachingld2004 wrote:
Op, depends on what you are looking for.

I find the students here friendlier,more relaxed, and more willing to learn.

Guess that depends on where you live.

In Korea I made a lot more, but I spent a lot more.

I agree with Simon. Wish I would have left SK earlier and came here.

Here I work at a University, and the pay is 6000 rmb. (first year here) We get our full airfare, bonus each term, and good vacation time. I teach 10 hours of privates a week, and have not touched my salary. Also going on a great 10 day vacation using the money from the privates.

I have never been as relaxed in SK as I have been here.

What do you actually spend per month on a 6000 rmb salary per month? Is it comparable to making more in a bigger city after cheaper living costs are factored in?
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: change from Sk Reply with quote

6000 rmb is good for first year university 12 hours per week.
I am not in a big city, and that is my choice. Life is cheaper here. I don;t know what your lifestyle is. As for me, I just wanted peace and quiet.

It is easy to pick up privates when you work in a university, and I have not touched my salary.

Only expensive thing here are bills because the university provides housing and we pay our bills. I can't stand the cold, so my heat is on most of the time when I am home.
DosEquisX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon in Suzhou wrote:
China is infinitely more interesting, more friendly to foreigners, not even worth comparing in terms of culture (Chinese don't know their culture but Koreans do? Ummm what?). Just my opinion...everyone's got one. I know about a dozen teachers personally who have worked in both countries and to a person they are all happier here in China. But that's just among those I know.

I echo this sentiment.

Have worked in both countries as well. While I make far less money in China, I am way happier in China than ROK.
djg2323

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like China can have a lot to offer. It looks like I will be staying here in SK for at least two more years so I can maximize the teacher's pension payout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: