Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Winter Holidays 2012/2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Your Winter Holidays 2012/2013 Reply with quote

Happy Holidays to Us All (again)!!

I thought it might be nice to compile a thread telling what and where we are celebrating, for a few reasons. Firstly, it's just rather fun to share and compare what we are doing. Also, it could be useful and interesting for newbies to have some idea of how the winter holidays go for those of us who are not in our home countries, and what it's like to spend the winter holidays in different parts of the world. And those of us who are back in home countries after years of living abroad; what's it like to be back at this time of year??

For me, this year, I'm having a traditional Czech Vanoce & Sylvester.

The calendar has been kind to us this year, as we've had four full days free for both Christmas and New Year's (Saturday through Tuesday both weeks).

Picture carp swimming in tanks on the cobblestoned street corners (yes, they come to a violent but swift end; it's not all totally child-safe here!). Christmas markets on the squares, with wonderful German sausages and other meats cooking over wood fires, fresh sweets, and Christmass-y knicknacks for sale. Mulled wine.
Long, dark nights (it was dark around 4.30 pm on the 21st., but lots of holiday lights and lamplight to cheer it all up.
Baby Jesus brings presents here on the 24th (and that's when the carp are cooked and served with potato salad).
New Year's, like everywhere else, features fireworks. I've just heard that Prague's fireworks will be on the 1st. after dark this year, to allow for children to enjoy them also. I'm not so sure about this bit...

I've been around the CR for some years, so all this feels rather like home to me now... I like it that the holidays are less frenzied and commercial than those I remember in the States, but I can't really make a good comparison anymore, not having had winter holidays in the States since 1997.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the english department held a xmas party at a local KTV, catered by
mcdonald's.

new year's eve having a couple young teacher-ettes over for
traditional pizza.

during our six-day break, perhaps will go to sanya to see the sea.....
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing my radio show on 1 January from 4 to 6 instead of on Wed. Meeting my daughter on 2 Jan. Holidays not so exciting as they once were !

www.radiobute.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: