Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the recession this bad? Also, small volunteer programs...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lack



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 98

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Is the recession this bad? Also, small volunteer programs... Reply with quote

OK, frustration is mounting. I am still technically a newbie even though I've been here for a while. I know the recession has impacted everything, but this much? I always think that "It's the whole world. All I need is one country/job/path." But apparently even the EFL industry has slowed down far too much. It keeps getting more frustrated because I don't have any other options. It's this or bust.

I am applying, currently using a recruiter to find a job in China. They don't seem to care to move too fast. It's kind of a frustrating "hurry up and wait" kind of thing.

Aside from China, I recently became really excited for another place: Georgia. And then what happens? The program is scaled back and now I can't go there. I am intensely searching for other programs similar to it, but every program apparently wants to charge a fee. For a job! Pay a company in order to work! What?! Interesting concept there...

It sure would be nice to find some modest program that brings in English teachers. I even think it would be nice to live with a host family. Unless you want to pay though, I guess that won't happen. Anyone know any similar programs like the Teach and Learn in Georgia one? I feel like this whole searching process is too frustratingly difficult even if you aren't aiming high to set the world on fire.

*Sigh* Back to the search...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
naturegirl321



Joined: 04 May 2003
Posts: 9014
Location: home sweet home

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that where I am, the TEFl industry has picked up and there's a lot more competition. And unfortunately some employers want the cheapest teacher they can get. As far as jobs where I am, there are definitely less perks (less vacation, longer hours, more grading, more paperwork) than there was before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lack



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 98

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed a lot of people saying how drastically things have changed. And it seems like so much has gone to hell just this year. And now, with the fiscal cliff, no doubt getting a job will become even more brutal in the U.S. and abroad. How long will it be before there is nothing to gain at all? The world just cannot keep sputtering along pathetically like this. *sigh*

I have discovered one other program similar to the Teach and Learn in Georgia one that I was really looking forward to before it got scaled back. Chile has an Open Doors Program. It is similar to the other one: stay with a host family, they feed you, paid on a stipend, etc.

Don't really know how to keep going in this process. I could throw myself into a school/recruiter I know is shady and strongly disliked just because it would get me into the system, but...

Other than that, I'm looking into TEFL certification. I have a good degree, but since I'm lacking in experience, maybe I can make it up with certification. Who knows anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tttompatz



Joined: 06 Mar 2010
Posts: 1951
Location: Talibon, Bohol, Philippines

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no shortage of jobs abroad (provided you are under 60, have a degree and no record on your criminal background check).

I'd hate to be in the US for the next few years; there is a country quickly headed for the 3rd world in more ways than 1.

If you are qualified (as noted above) AND have no money then Korea is still the place to be looking.

If you can afford a plane ticket and have the wherewithal that Ghod gave green apples then there are lots of options.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ariadne



Joined: 16 Jul 2004
Posts: 960

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the China forums if you haven't already.

If you want a job in China and you have a degree, it may be possible to find a job even without having 2 years experience. Deal directly with schools. Skip the recruiters. Really, deal directly. Pick a general location, research to find out what schools are there, apply to the ones that interest you.

Have you applied for any jobs in the country (the one with separate registration required) we can't mention here? The pay is pretty good from what I hear, but I have no personal experience there. You should at least check it out if you are so anxious to get a job.

Various frustrations are available to you on a daily basis as a foreign English teacher. You need to know that before you jump in.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ixchel



Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Posts: 155
Location: The 7th level of hell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the recession this bad? Also, small volunteer program Reply with quote

Lack wrote:
OK, frustration is mounting. I am still technically a newbie even though I've been here for a while. I know the recession has impacted everything, but this much? I always think that "It's the whole world. All I need is one country/job/path." But apparently even the EFL industry has slowed down far too much. It keeps getting more frustrated because I don't have any other options. It's this or bust.

I am applying, currently using a recruiter to find a job in China. They don't seem to care to move too fast. It's kind of a frustrating "hurry up and wait" kind of thing.

Aside from China, I recently became really excited for another place: Georgia. And then what happens? The program is scaled back and now I can't go there. I am intensely searching for other programs similar to it, but every program apparently wants to charge a fee. For a job! Pay a company in order to work! What?! Interesting concept there...

It sure would be nice to find some modest program that brings in English teachers. I even think it would be nice to live with a host family. Unless you want to pay though, I guess that won't happen. Anyone know any similar programs like the Teach and Learn in Georgia one? I feel like this whole searching process is too frustratingly difficult even if you aren't aiming high to set the world on fire.

*Sigh* Back to the search...

Are you willing to teach in the US? If so, I found a bunch of public school ESL jobs on indeed.com. They require local (state) certification but you could find a place you like (or they may be in your state) and get your credentials and then work on an ESL certificate as well and/or a Master's then teach overseas.

What are your current qualifications to teach EFL? Maybe you need more education (all of our local state universities here have EFL certificate programs and you can always use the extra coursework) and try volunteering in an ESL classroom (we have them at adult school here) or teaching a volunteer ESL class (we have those too through churches found on our local volunteer website) with a certificate and some experience you'll be more marketable.
Don't ever pay anyone to teach for free!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lack



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 98

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariadne wrote:
Read the China forums if you haven't already.

If you want a job in China and you have a degree, it may be possible to find a job even without having 2 years experience. Deal directly with schools. Skip the recruiters. Really, deal directly. Pick a general location, research to find out what schools are there, apply to the ones that interest you.

Have you applied for any jobs in the country (the one with separate registration required) we can't mention here? The pay is pretty good from what I hear, but I have no personal experience there. You should at least check it out if you are so anxious to get a job.

Various frustrations are available to you on a daily basis as a foreign English teacher. You need to know that before you jump in.


I'm using Footprints as my recruiter. After initially saying I was accepted for the phone interview, they haven't replied back yet. I check the China job postings here every day, and the problem is that after looking up the school or recruiter, it is almost always one with a horrible reputation. I'm guessing that I could apply to one of them and get offered a job quickly, but that would be throwing myself to the sharks. I'm not that desperate yet, but I do need something soon and won't rule it out at some point in the weeks ahead if something doesn't work out.

I have sent out emails with my resume and info for the decent listings I've found (and some other places too) but have heard nothing back yet.

As far as the country that shall not be named, no, I haven't gone for that. The process is way too bureaucratic. Probably looking at two months just to get the required documents ready. I need something much sooner than how long that would take me at this point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lack



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 98

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the recession this bad? Also, small volunteer program Reply with quote

Ixchel wrote:
What are your current qualifications to teach EFL? Maybe you need more education (all of our local state universities here have EFL certificate programs and you can always use the extra coursework) and try volunteering in an ESL classroom (we have them at adult school here) or teaching a volunteer ESL class (we have those too through churches found on our local volunteer website) with a certificate and some experience you'll be more marketable.
Don't ever pay anyone to teach for free!


My qualifications are that I have a bachelor's degree in Education and English (a school teacher's degree essentially - and I am certified to be a teacher in my state here in the U.S.) I have about 2 years teaching experience altogether. I already know how to spin that. The 2 years are not experience being a hired school teacher in a school.

I am considering getting an EFL certification, but really don't want to before my first EFL job. The one I am looking at is one of the in-country month-long courses from internationalteflacademy.com. I don't want to shell out $1500 plus expenses though. Not yet.

I am applying for teaching jobs in the U.S. and have been since I gradated back in 2010. My state is dead in regards to that. I'm applying to school districts nation-wide as well.

And yes, I would never, no matter how desperate, pay to work for someone. I can't believe that anyone would ever do that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 4874
Location: Terra firma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Is the recession this bad? Also, small volunteer program Reply with quote

Lack wrote:
I have about 2 years teaching experience altogether. I already know how to spin that. The 2 years are not experience being a hired school teacher in a school.

Huh? What specifically did those two years entail? And why spin your experience? If you're not clear about what you did, then that might be why employers aren't biting back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lack



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 98

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Is the recession this bad? Also, small volunteer program Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Lack wrote:
I have about 2 years teaching experience altogether. I already know how to spin that. The 2 years are not experience being a hired school teacher in a school.

Huh? What specifically did those two years entail? And why spin your experience? If you're not clear about what you did, then that might be why employers aren't biting back.


I was a camp counselor for a year and a half. Before that it was my student teaching and a practicum that I am counting in order to make it two years total. It is well described in my resume. I suppose it is not so much spin as it is playing it up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nomad soul



Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 4874
Location: Terra firma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack wrote:
I have about 2 years teaching experience altogether. I already know how to spin that. The 2 years are not experience being a hired school teacher in a school.

and wrote:
I was a camp counselor for a year and a half. Before that it was my student teaching and a practicum that I am counting in order to make it two years total. It is well described in my resume. I suppose it is not so much spin as it is playing it up.

What exactly did your camp counselor experience involve? In other words, what did you teach?

Spinning or playing up certain experience isn't always a good tactic and might even put off recruiters and potential employers. Be clear and realistic about your experience because the reality is that employers don't consider unpaid teaching (via a practicum and/or as a volunteer) the same as professional teaching experience. By the way, I also completed a practical component for my degree; however, it's only indicated under the education section of my resume/CV with my degree info as "Included 135-hour ESOL practicum." It shows that I've had relevant, supervised teaching practice, which satisfies the TEFL qualification requirement. And so far, none of my employers ever counted it as experience. In your situation, you didn't say what teaching environment(s) your student teaching and practicum were in, but if relevant to ESL, then you may not need a CELTA or other TEFL cert. The same with your state teaching certification. Is it for teaching diverse subjects or for a specific subject? Either way, you might want to rethink how and where you're including your experience and academic information.

Last question... What do you want to teach? That is, are you looking at international schools (with children) or adults in a language institute or a university environment?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ixchel



Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Posts: 155
Location: The 7th level of hell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't want to come off rude here or unhelpful, I'm just trying to be realistic for you,but the job market is tightening up especially for entry level jobs. Because of our economy, overseas employers have their pick of qualified, experienced teachers at low salaries. When I say low I mean they haven't changed since the mid- 80's when I first started looking at overseas teaching and taught in Korea in '88.

You have no teaching experience (being a camp counselor is not teaching nor is student teaching-you're merely preparing lessons and presenting them under the guidance of a credentialed teacher) and no EFL qualifications. And not willing to get them until you get a job which makes no sense.

Then you complain about the quality of jobs being offered. I think you are not being realistic about what you are qualified for. You want a good job, no bureacratic paperwork (that exists everywhere for every job) and you want it now.
I don't have any more advice for you. You've rejected everything everyone has told you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lack



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 98

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People say different things about my experience, need to get an EFL cert., and whatever else. China is big. It should be easier than this. I'm looking for a job, (without, of course, having to deal with disreputable companies or people - hardly a high standard) and not even a great one. A starter one. That's it. No being picky about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ariadne



Joined: 16 Jul 2004
Posts: 960

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll repeat some earlier advice... contact schools directly. You don't need a job ad to contact a school. Lots of schools never advertise.

Spring Festival is a big holiday time in China. Many schools will not have staff in their offices for several weeks. I'll have all my tests finished and grades submitted by Jan 10th although the term officially ends about the 18th. The second term for my uni begins on Feb 25th. Just so you know that it might be awhile until you hear back if you try to contact schools during the holiday.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lack



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 98

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariadne wrote:
I'll repeat some earlier advice... contact schools directly. You don't need a job ad to contact a school. Lots of schools never advertise.

Spring Festival is a big holiday time in China. Many schools will not have staff in their offices for several weeks. I'll have all my tests finished and grades submitted by Jan 10th although the term officially ends about the 18th. The second term for my uni begins on Feb 25th. Just so you know that it might be awhile until you hear back if you try to contact schools during the holiday.

.


If things don't work out within a couple of weeks to a month, I think this is what I will do. Just get a list of all the universities and other schools and send out 10+ emails a day.

In the meantime, I have signed up on another job site/recruiter and have also had an idea of what my problem might have been. I hope by this week I will see if it works or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC