Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advice needed: where to go for good quality EFL teaching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miso_ramen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: advice needed: where to go for good quality EFL teaching Reply with quote

I would appreciate any advice on where to look for work. A summary of my quals UK citizen BA philosophy, qualified lawyer, worked as a solicitor in UK for four years. Decided I wanted to do something different and travel so I took a job in East Asia and did two years teaching school age students, then did trinity TESOL and then one year teaching mostly adults general english in SE Asia.

What I am looking for primarily is employment teaching mainly adults (don't mind some kids). I want good quality work, general english, exam prep, business english etc. I am looking for schools with a good rep, well resourced, good management DOS's senior teachers with plenty of experience.

I am not that picky about location or pay, and would consider virtually anywhere.

Have thought about uni jobs in China but don't want to just teach English conversation.

Any advice is much appreciated.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: advice needed: where to go for good quality EFL teaching Reply with quote

miso_ramen wrote:
I am looking for schools with a good rep, well resourced, good management DOS's senior teachers with plenty of experience.

Hmm... "Good quality" EFL teaching...

That's a tall order---made even more challenging since you don't have a lot of teaching experience nor the type/level of teaching that universities generally want to see. Perhaps you could market yourself as a business English teacher as well. Also, I too went into teaching with a legal background, but I played up my critical thinking and advanced writing skills. It turned out to be a very smart strategy.

By the way, are there any countries or regions you have absolutely no interest in?
miso_ramen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, nomad soul.

I wouldn't rule out anywhere as long as the jobs what I want to do i.e. the type of teaching the Trinity TESOL prepared me for.

TBH, I'm getting that mostly in my current job, but the schools reputation internationally is pretty poor. This is unfair as the school i'm at is a franchise and is good, compared to the other schools within the organisation.

Anyway, the teaching experience isn't as good as it could be, so I'm hoping I can do better in terms of actual experience, and the schools reputation. Business English is something I would be interested in, but there isn't a lot of scope for that where I am currently.

Would an MA Tesol or Delta give me the leg up I want? Assuming I could get into a good uni or Delta with my current experience. They generally want two years post-Trinity.

With that in mind, I'd be looking to get another year's teaching with the best possible experience I can.

Any advice is appreciated, PM me if you'd prefer.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miso_ramen wrote:
Would an MA Tesol or Delta give me the leg up I want? Assuming I could get into a good uni or Delta with my current experience. They generally want two years post-Trinity.

If you're intent on making TEFL a career, then, yes, graduate-level qualifications will give you that edge. However, I'm unsure of the requirements for entering a Delta or MA in TESOL program in the UK (I'm American) and will defer to others in this forum.
Dekadan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, I'm in the process of doing my Delta now. The usual recommendation is that you start two years after doing a CELTA/Trinity. You can choose to do it intensively over three months or so (perhaps someone can correct me on that) or you can do it by module. There are online options for this to allow for working while studying, which is the route that I've taken. Be forewarned: it's intense! Take the suggested amount of time to study and double it and you have a clearer picture of the workload.

Best of luck!
jaffa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anywhere but Saudi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: