Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Physical Examination for Foriegner"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Englishpal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: "Physical Examination for Foriegner" Reply with quote

I am having to get this medical thing done in order for the school to proceed applying for the foreign expert thing-amabob. I am cutting it close with the processing of all my stuff to get things going in time for my Feb. start. A little nervous as I do not want to have to redo something............which leads me to ask- Can I go to my general physician to have him do the medical check? Will he have a'stamp' that will suffice? Recruiter was mentioning something about a hospital but I would not know where to start, and hoping for some expediency. I would be submitting the completed form for the school to do their stuff for the foriegn expert certificate, and then also using it at the Houston consulate to try and get the z visa. Thought? Is the chest x-ray mandatory, or can the doc just write not needed?
roadwalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I did it for the San Francisco consulate, in 2011, I went to a doc-in-a-box clinic and was examined by a physicians' assistant (P.A.) and skipped the x-ray. The consulate only wanted the Chinese form and maybe the letterhead of the clinic. No problems. The year before, the same consulate wanted all of the backing reports, such as the blood tests. Also no x-ray and no problems. You will likely have to go through similar procedures in China after arrival anyway. Have your doctor fill out the form and yes, their rubber stamp or whatever they have that looks official should be sufficient.

Unless anything has changed since summer of 2011, or unless your province is stricter.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to go through much the same (but if anything tougher) exam once in China.
The form your home doctor needs to fill out can be confusing and my guy wrote 'normal' where there was ambiguity.
A tip: Take your x ray films with you to China. They will likely accept them and you can avoid a needless x ray exposure.
Miajiayou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you living? I got everything, including the X-ray and EKG, done at a walk-in clinic in the USA for a couple hundred bucks (roughly, don't even remember because it was so little) I asked them to use their address stamp on it as much as possible. In china, I only had to repeat the HIV test.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no EKG requirement on the form or pelvic ultrasound so these were done in China (Qingdao).
I think your experience Mia, underlines that if you have a film or printout from your home exam, then take it with you.
My home country has social medicine, so less than US$50 all up including x ray for the items on the form plus a couple of boosters for hep and tetanus, I recall.
The Qingdao set up was a batch of about 50 FTs being processed at one time. Apart from the x ray I went with the flow, even though there was probably duplication.
Just a note to OP though: Any problem identified in the Chinese medical is an exclusion if you take out local medical insurance eg PICC.
My ultrasound identified 'fatty deposit on liver' and there was some uptake of that on my PICC documentation.
On a visit home I asked my GP if had he been required to take a pelvic ultrasound he would have been concerned about the fatty deposit?
His answer 'not really for someone of your age and BMI'.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"fatty deposit on liver"

Time to go on the wagon ?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dr was a Belgian - trail biker type, thin as a pencil.
To him, anyone not in the same mould had a BMI out of wack.
Thankfully, he has been replaced by a charming Englishwoman who smiles and does what's expected - medically that is.
I haven't used her for a China visa form yet and will be interested next time I need one, as I'll bring up the fatty liver.
Interestingly another FT from my school who smoked and drank a lot but was very thin in stature also got pinged on fatty liver on the same day and by the same Chinese examiner.
Ariadne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of FTs get that 'fatty liver' comment. Why is that? Aside from any connections to overuse of alcohol, why are FTs livers so 'fatty'? Is it because foreigners are often fatter all over than Chinese? I don't know much about livers, just curious. Any wannabe or used to be docs out there who know?

johntpartee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat body, fat liver. Excessive alcohol consumption will do it, too.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the googles, fatty liver doesn't appear to be a serious problem,
or even signs of other serious common problems. maybe they list
it on the results because they can, otherwise you'd be a perfect
laowai specimen.

nurse: oh, doctor, that last patient was gorgeous!
doctor: mmfph....
nurse: i just love foreigners, don't you? soooo handsome!
doctor: hmph.
nurse: so high, and that tall nose.....and those dreamy green eyes!
doctor: yeah, but he had a fatty liver!
johntpartee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fatty liver CAN be pre-cancerous. Not always, but it is cause for concern.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told that I have a fatty liver, and almost every other FT that I know was told the same.

Maybe our livers are bigger only because we are not 50 kilo Chinese guys ?
xiguagua

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others have said, you gotta do it when you get to China anyway. What I did this year was just fill it out myself. I just did a medical in China, in January, then in September my new school wanted another one from America, then another one in China. So whatever, I filled it out myself, got it signed and notarized from a legal notary that I know and shipped it off. Illegal? Yes. But I have no trouble sleeping at night.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!
Did you add your Dr registration number/State Board or whatever is used in home country?
A plea in mitigation before sentencing could be that you had no intention to deceive as the full Monty would be repeated in China.
Best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: