Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

same situation as MLI post on hiring but UGRU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctown75

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: same situation as MLI post on hiring but UGRU Reply with quote

Would be thankful for any help you could give.Had a great interview at the confrence and they said they would get back to me but still no word and I can see from my earlier post others have not heard back either,so I am thinking it could be one of three things:They don't hire until real late which some friends say happen,they did not hire this year from the confrence or they have hired the people they wanted and did not send out letters, so what do you think.Do you think emailing them and asking them direct for a yes or no answer would put them off if they were still thinking or hiring me.Thanks again for your help
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: same situation as MLI post on hiring but UGRU Reply with quote

ctown75 wrote:
Do you think emailing them and asking them direct for a yes or no answer would put them off if they were still thinking or hiring me.

No, I do not. I think it's very much like when you give a girl the twiceover: If she happens to like the cut of your jib, she's flattered. If she doesn't happen to like the cut of your jib, you're a wretched, perverted, lecherous sc*mbucket. However, my experience suggests that if you really want an answer you should call.

BTW, here's a nice little missive I received today. The writer and the institution will go unnamed, only because I believe that e-mail should remain confidential:

"It's been almost two months since I met you at TESOL Arabia and I have
been planning to write to you, but I have been waiting until the
bureaucracy machine here finalizes our plans for next year. We were only
recently able to determine our enrollment for next year, and our
enrollment determines our staffing needs .

Now that we have finalized our plans, we know that we are fully staffed
for next year.

Thank you for your interest in our program. I hope that you will find an
interesting and challenging position soon.

Good luck and best wishes, "

In other words, this guy wasted my time and the time of my referees because he thought he MIGHT have had an opening or two for next year -- and I'm sure I was not the only applicant/supplicant/aspirant who had the pleasure to make his acquaintance.

I received a similar letter a few years ago that actually started out "I have some good news and some bad news..." The good news was that the writer was very favorably impressed with my application and would have loved to have hired me... The bad news was that his institution had no openings, alas. THEN WHY THE H*LL WERE THEY ADVERTISING?

Do some of these people feel that they need to practice their recruiting?

Wouldn't it be lovely if prospective employers were as honest and forthcoming as they expect us to be?

Good luck and best wishes! Smile

BD
Gnocchiman

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the UGRU rumor mill, they have already hired all the people they need for next year. I do think it's wrong that they haven't notified you one way or the other...not cool.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why you are so taken aback. If TESOL Arabia comes before he knows what his staffing requirements are, of course he's going to have to interview people without knowing whether he'll be able to offer them a job.

This is not like they are a company in London or Manhattan that can simply call people for interview the day after you get somebody's resignation. It is extremely difficult to arrange interviews when the candidate is a national of another country resident in yet another one.

A lot depends on what he told you at the interview, but interviewing people at a job fair when you don't know how many vacancies you have seems reasonable practice.
ctown75

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: I thinks its just respectful Reply with quote

I am not taken back about the hiring process, the thing that gets me is the lack of respect from the school to write out a simple no thank you we are not interested letter/email [it could be a form letter to all] but its the right thing to do,or they could just be straight with you at the interview and tell you their situation.I even wrote to the guy and he could not be straight with me.Thanks for the reply
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Jones wrote:
I don't see why you are so taken aback. If TESOL Arabia comes before he knows what his staffing requirements are, of course he's going to have to interview people without knowing whether he'll be able to offer them a job.

They can tell you the likelihood, based on past experience and reasonable guesstimates, that they will need X number of people. Or they can tell you that they might not need anyone at all, if they think that is a possibility. When somebody recruits, interviews, and solicits testimonials, I think it's reasonable to assume that he *intends* to hire *someone*. If that is not the case and he is just checking out the field or covering his a**, I think it would be reasonable to tell applicants that. It's a question of good faith.

It's like when you walk into a car or boat dealership; if you're not buying, you need to tell them up front so they can put their efforts into potentially more fruitful endeavors.

I would certainly not authorize anyone to contact my referees if I thought they were just looking over the field. For one thing, if they are not *seriously* considering me for a position (which implies that there *is*, in fact, an open position), I don't think they have any business delving that deeply into my background. For another thing, my referees are giving of their time and energy in order to be of service in promoting a match; they are not passing out information as a way of killing time.

There was one university soliciting resumes at TA that said clearly that they were not giving interviews. That's reasonable, and that's honest.

BD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: