Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apartment rentals?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Apartment rentals? Reply with quote

Anyone have any sites to suggest for long-term apartment rentals in Gdansk area?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
oipivo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have seen this, but I just found a nice flat using www.gumtree.pl

It's probably the best option.
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found one with a great view, reasonable prices and solid setup.

Looks like I'm going to settle in here for a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Found one with a great view, reasonable prices and solid setup.

Looks like I'm going to settle in here for a bit.
Reasonable prices in Gdansk?

Last time I checked, prices in the center were pretty expensive - comparable with prices in Warsaw, really: Hard to touch anything decent for less than 1,500zl/mo.

You must have gotten lucky or found something further afield (Wrzeszcz or Orunia possibly?)
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a gem (IMO).

I was aggressive and found a nice, 2 room apartment one street over from Diluga in old town with a view out the Living Room Window of the St. Mary's and Town Hall buildings - 57m2, 2nd floor, large main room, good-sized bedroom w/ large bed, bright and clean kitchen with double sink, microwave, toaster, cabinets galore, oven, washing machine, etc., equipment, cable (English channels and Russian) plus Internet Wi-Fi, in a fairly new remont. That's for 1370 zl/month (rent+cable+Internet) and I pay elec, water and gas bill.

Yes, I used "and" way too many times......get over it folks, I am in a good mood.
oipivo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a hell of a deal. Sounds like you hit the jackpot.
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, my landlord even threw in a medium-sized whiteboard (about 125 X 100) and an easel that he had sitting around his office. Friday he is taking me to register my residence and then is helping me do my business license setup and Tax ID.

I could literally throw a baseball out the window and hit that information center at the Neptune Fountain.

Last, but definitely not least, this place came equipped with honest-to-goodness MUGS for coffee and tea as well as large glasses for beers and ice tea or soft drinks, not those prissy little coffee cups and juice glasses you see everywhere else.

I got very, very lucky it seems.

Last edited by ecocks on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Friday he is taking me to register my residence and then is helping me do my business license setup and Iax ID.
Uh, is this a joke? Why would a landlord help you do this?
ecocks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, maybe he's a nice guy?
ecocks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registered my rental, opened three bank accounts and scanned the resulting ton of paperwork onto two of my flash-drives in about 2 hours and 25 minutes counting time for walking over to the City Office and back this morning.

Monday then for the tax ID and business setup since it was snowing briskly today and I wanted to get setup for the weekend with groceries, phone credit and a few other odds and ends of shopping.

The people in both the City Administration and the Bank were refreshingly pleasant. Nice to see some smiles and enjoy some small talk as folks try out their English. Even had one of the bankers ask for a business card since they were thinking about working on their language.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you had a pleasant experience. Mine was similar when I went to set up my company. Poland really does seem to want to encourage people to open a small business here by streamlining the process.

But don't worry, you'll meet one of the stubborn, unhelpful, cranky, overly bureaucratic fools that abound in government offices here soon enough. My guess is at immigration.

ecocks, I take it you are not an EU citizen and will have to apply for residency, correct?

Is your plan to work for schools in Gdansk as a freelancer or to essentially become a school? I'm curious because Gdansk (really like it) was the first place I ever taught Eng. (for a school) and I've wondered if it's possible to earn a decent income freelancing over there.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent you a more detailed PM.

Yes, I'm an American, so taking care of registration and obtaining residency is on my to-do list. Have to get those things started this coming week.

I'll be free-lancing privates, looking at setting up some small groups and probably talking to a few schools about doing some limited classes for them if they run short of staff native speakers.

Thought about Elblag as a starting but they filled their positions and the reviews were decidedly mixed. Nothing wrong with working some low-risk contract hours for a bit. Even Speak-Up might be okay if their hourly rate is acceptable for the tram ride over there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: