Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions to the JOB at CNAQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
douglas1969

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I assume that you didn't live in a Gulf country or perhaps it was Saudi, but I have to say that I have dozens of friends who raised their kids in the Gulf. The kids had schools that were mostly better than the US in so many ways in a country that was quite kid oriented... where they could safely play outside and ride bikes (on campus gigs) and enjoy other facilities. (swimming pools and other sports facilities - and beaches). Their parents were able to enrich their lives with world travel each year on their way back to their home countries to visit relatives.

The kids that I knew in the Gulf in the 80s/90s are now quite an impressive group of well-rounded individuals who all got degrees and are living around the world... some married now... some are working on their PhDs... at least one is now teaching at a Gulf university. Cool They are very different... in a good way... from the kids in the US that seem to be unaware that there is a world beyond the US shores.

As far as harassment on the streets... in my life there has been more of that in the US than in the Gulf. (Now Egypt took a bit more skill to avoid the street pervs Laughing)

VS

Fair enough. Now you got me researching it again. I was about to give up given the things I was reading and hearing.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to oversell it. It isn't Nirvana by any stretch. We all found plenty to complain about (as any extensive reader of these boards knows). But, for most of us in this field, it allows a good tax-free salary and - barring political implosion (which seems to be all too common in the world these days) - it is a relatively safe environment.

One important detail that one of my friends pointed out was that with all the pros and cons of expat life in the Gulf, one of the pros was that he was able to pay for his kids education so that they didn't leave university burdened by debt.

No small thing these days... and then there is saving for retirement.

VS
douglas1969

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I don't want to oversell it. It isn't Nirvana by any stretch. We all found plenty to complain about (as any extensive reader of these boards knows). But, for most of us in this field, it allows a good tax-free salary and - barring political implosion (which seems to be all too common in the world these days) - it is a relatively safe environment.

One important detail that one of my friends pointed out was that with all the pros and cons of expat life in the Gulf, one of the pros was that he was able to pay for his kids education so that they didn't leave university burdened by debt.

No small thing these days... and then there is saving for retirement.

VS

Yeah, those may be benefits dependent on where you are.

Looked a little more at CNA, yeah, its looking like it might be an environment of a mass cash grab free for all by management and administrators at the expense of the staff. Sad
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The teachers have not exactly been shortchanged... as I said... it has been one of the top pays in Qatar for awhile. And not sure how it compares with other Gulf countries these days, but there was a good reason that Canadians were jumping at the chance to teach there. (hint: it wasn't for the competent management or swell treatment) Laughing

VS
smedini

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, a friend of mine started working at CNAQ last year and simply loves it Smile
douglas1969

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smedini wrote:
For what it's worth, a friend of mine started working at CNAQ last year and simply loves it Smile

Same here. Someone who I know who went there and said it's a lot better managed than the last uni she worked at.
blastermill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gulf-times.com//Qatar/178/details/339298/CNA-Q-optimistic-over-agreement

Things are very sticky
kellygreen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

President jumped in with a comment on a non-rampant "optimistic" rumor this week.

President failed to acknowledge another more persistent rumor of another body taking over the college also perculating at the same time.

Instructors getting twitchy, especially those with dependants.

BB, in virgin post, seems to imply it is GCC playing its cards close to its vest. General consensus, NL is the playing hard to get at this dance. But then, 300 - 400 CNA/Nfldrs may all be wrong at the same time, couldn't they?
Blackbear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="
BB, in virgin post, seems to imply it is GCC playing its cards close to its vest. General consensus, NL is the playing hard to get at this dance. But then, 300 - 400 CNA/Nfldrs may all be wrong at the same time, couldn't they?[/quote]

It would seem to me that both parties discussing the contract remain quiet until the negotiations conclude.

The students' best interests must be the driving force for the Qatari government. The Canadians are merely providing a service to facilitate those ends. Just my opinion.

Naturally, the Canadian staff are worried, and it is natural that they are. Such is life. OTOH, they can always return to Canada and (try to) find work there - not necessarily in Newfoundland. Such is life - full of non-guarantees. Confused
douglas1969

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackbear wrote:

Naturally, the Canadian staff are worried, and it is natural that they are. Such is life. OTOH, they can always return to Canada and (try to) find work there - not necessarily in Newfoundland. Such is life - full of non-guarantees. Confused

It all comes down to enrollment numbers in the end. If they went in promising X amount of enrollment and they are still nowhere near those numbers, after all these years, the Qataris will drop it as they have other campuses because they are not stupid. A lot of higher administrative positions in academia (at least in Canada) are over run with basically "car salesmen" promising pies in the sky.
Blackbear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

douglas1969 wrote:
It all comes down to enrollment numbers in the end. If they went in promising X amount of enrollment and they are still nowhere near those numbers, after all these years, the Qataris will drop it as they have other campuses because they are not stupid. A lot of higher administrative positions in academia (at least in Canada) are over run with basically "car salesmen" promising pies in the sky.

Agreed about the enrollment (!) numbers. However, i caution your logic regarding the "If ..." Statement.
Besides, how could Canadians, with CNA, promise the Qatari government anything at all about the enrollment (!) numbers of Qatari students.

Your comment needs elaboration. Your logic frankly escape me.... As with new/used car salesmen as well ...
douglas1969

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackbear wrote:
douglas1969 wrote:

Agreed about the enrollment (!) numbers. However, i caution your logic regarding the "If ..." Statement.
Besides, how could Canadians, with CNA, promise the Qatari government anything at all about the enrollment (!) numbers of Qatari students.

Your comment needs elaboration. Your logic frankly escape me.... As with new/used car salesmen as well ...

pie in the sky i tell you.

http://www.universityaffairs.ca/universities-open-campuses-in-foreign-countries-with-mixed-results.aspx

these are mickey mouse enrollment numbers compared to a real college in NA

the sales men comment refers to upper administration sitting around padding their salaries with no results to show
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: